Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weapon flux/sec gauge improvements  (Read 393 times)

Piotr08

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Weapon flux/sec gauge improvements
« on: December 05, 2022, 06:12:46 AM »

When making a ship with a weapon that has two flux/sec values (the magazine ones) the weapon flux/sec indicator below the vents and capacitors shows the substained weapon flux/sec, which is the lower one. This is quite annoying when trying to make a ship with just enough dissipation for soft flux to not go up. In my opinion, there are two ways to solve this.

1st method would be to make the weapon flux/sec gauge show the normal flux/sec instead of the substained one

2nd method would be to have two gauges, one for substained, one for normal

I hope that what I wrote makes sense and I am curious what are your opinions on this
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 06:14:20 AM by Piotr08 »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon flux/sec gauge improvements
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 06:27:10 AM »

I was about to say, why not just show the average (like in a brute way of adding two numbers and dividing by 2), since it would mean more than either of the extremes. But at the end of the day it's extremely situational. For a weapon that quickly fires all of the charges (Ion Pulser), the max amount is only relevant for a short time. And then what if you add Expanded Magazines? Or the worst of all, charge weapon on a slow ship would basically always fire at sustained rates.

Think it just gets too messy and confusing, so that's why the current system is probably fine.
Please don't take me too seriously.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 12:14:46 AM »

I mean since you are already showing Flux / sec currently as such as 1000(200) for the Ion Pulser, then it's assumed that the player learns this notation. So you could show ship flux when fielding ammo consuming flux generating weapons as e.g. 1300(500) for a ship that generates 300 flux otherwise and mounts an Ion Pulser. That is, flux consumption during burst(flux consumption during prolonged fire) with the assumption that the numbers refer to all burst weapons bursting in the first case and all burst weapons having finished their burst in the second case. It is optimal to give both extremes, since then the player can assume that for all other states the flux/sec will be between the two extremes.
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 06:26:59 AM »

I feel like what you really care about is actually the total flux generated by a burst. Burst flux only matters as much as it fills your capacity.