Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Next Update?  (Read 6847 times)

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
Next Update?
« on: December 04, 2022, 01:13:56 AM »

Do we know if the next update is going to be a version release with content, or another blog article update?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 01:02:20 PM by Ryan390 »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Next Update?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 01:22:15 AM »

I actually hope for some patch notes (it's been quite a few changes/fixes), we never got a new update out of nowhere. If there is yet another blog post then I fear we won't be playing the new version before summer.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 04:54:45 AM »

Every new blog post lower my enthusiasm for Starsector. Sadly it is a steady trend.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 04:53:59 PM »

Every new blog post lower my enthusiasm for Starsector. Sadly it is a steady trend.

Do tell. Exact opposite for me. New ships, new mechanics, new lore…what’s not to like? Not to mention the dozen or so QoL improvements posted on twitter every few weeks. My guess is that a lot of this patch is necessarily hidden for spoiler reasons so it’s possible we don’t know a good chunk of what’s in store.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 01:07:51 AM »

The next update is close. When Alex starts posting minor QoL changes on twitter, patch notes tend to follow.  ;D

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 02:43:47 AM »

The next update is close. When Alex starts posting minor QoL changes on twitter, patch notes tend to follow.  ;D
I mean if you call 3-4+ months "close" then yeah. And not sure where that QoL-twitter-post indication came from. There's constant minor fixes throughout the update cycle, it just so happens some issues are easier to solve together when a problem is evident. Which actually happened now, some content creator started playing the game and Alex saw things that could be improved.
Please don't take me too seriously.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 05:06:59 AM »

There's constant minor fixes throughout the update cycle, it just so happens some issues are easier to solve together when a problem is evident. Which actually happened now, some content creator started playing the game and Alex saw things that could be improved.
There is sh*tload of minor fixes in any software. However, in current internet age, users are  expecting regular updates. Best as planed seasons, one update per   (month, quarter,  half  year ) depends the dev team  workflow.
Irregular or too  long updates (yearly) are wrong sale strategy.

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 03:50:36 PM »

There's constant minor fixes throughout the update cycle, it just so happens some issues are easier to solve together when a problem is evident. Which actually happened now, some content creator started playing the game and Alex saw things that could be improved.
There is sh*tload of minor fixes in any software. However, in current internet age, users are  expecting regular updates. Best as planed seasons, one update per   (month, quarter,  half  year ) depends the dev team  workflow.
Irregular or too  long updates (yearly) are wrong sale strategy.

Your double spaces are causing my OCD to freak out  ::)

In terms of regular releases, it's not really an expectation. It depends on the project and the size of the team and complexity of the game. Starsector is pretty complex and the quality has always been fairly high, so I have no problem with things taking time. Most people have been waiting 12 years for the final 1.0.

The issue I had was more in just knowing (roughly) when a binary version is going to change and a new downloadable .exe (might) be arising. It just saves checking the homepage every day. It's not an argument of 'can you please speed up' it's just one of potentially slightly more forward communication. Especially since myself and others have purchased multiple copies of the game on different PC's over the years. In the last 12 years I've probably had at least 6 different gaming rigs and laptops, all having copies of SS.

To be honest I should just build a little .net app that scrapes the <li> element on the homepage and fires out an RSS update if it detects a new element added.. Or twitter if that get's earlier warnings over the homepage? I normally just open the homepage every day and see if a new link appears.

In the past it did usually equate to a new .exe but lately it's almost been an expectation to be a blog post.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 09:56:46 PM »

If you want to be notified, there's actually an honest to god old fashioned mailing list!

https://fractalsoftworks.com/lists/?p=subscribe

I feel like I should insert a meme of an old man shaking his cane at writing a .net app to scrape! :D Back in myyyy daaaaayyyy we had companies mail us when something happened, not have to do it ourselves like you crazy wippersnappers...

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 05:12:08 AM »

If you want to be notified, there's actually an honest to god old fashioned mailing list!

https://fractalsoftworks.com/lists/?p=subscribe

I feel like I should insert a meme of an old man shaking his cane at writing a .net app to scrape! :D Back in myyyy daaaaayyyy we had companies mail us when something happened, not have to do it ourselves like you crazy wippersnappers...

Haha, yeah unfortunately some companies (competitors) don't want you to know they have released new products/features on their website or tell you that they updated their prices.

So we used to have a web scraper that ran a bunch of URL's out of a config file, then it would dynamically scrape each paginated list of products. It would grab the HTML from source then use RegEx to just pull out the product code & price tags information. That would then get stored in a database for up-to-date competitor information.

We had a separate app that would load those prices for there products and then compare our equivalent prices for our SKU's.
Lots of product codes are the same even on different e-commerce sites, due to the code being set by the manufacturer, rather than the retailer.

The code wasn't particularly complex but it had quite a few assemblies and wasn't written particularly cleanly, so it could be tricky to work on, especially with using convoluted RegEx's. This was back in 2011, but I think that app still exists where I worked.

In terms of star sector it wouldn't even be 10% as complicated it would probably be about 10-15 lines of code.
But yeah an email is a lot easier! If not less fun  ::)

Side Note:
Be careful with web scrapers because we noticed if we scraped too much, it creates an obvious increase in traffic and they just block your I.P address. So we ended up running the scraper from an O2 dongle that used dynamic I.P ranges.. Sneaky, not sure if it was entirely legal but we didn't care at the time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 05:14:31 AM by Ryan390 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 08:04:13 AM »

<shakes cane> There's an actual RSS feed right here:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/feed/

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 12:40:31 PM »

<shakes cane> There's an actual RSS feed right here:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/feed/

Now your here Alex, any comment on the next update being a blog post or version change?  ::)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:43:37 AM by Ryan390 »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 01:37:36 PM »

We've cross the ONE YEAR SINCE LAST MAJOR PATCH threshold a few days ago.

We got anything coming to celebrate? Blog post, patch notes, confirmation that the patch is nearing completion?

The one year mark is when the antsiness really sets in, don't leave us hanging!

Vundaex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 07:57:37 AM »

I hope we'll see noticeable improvements to combat, especially deployment, pathfinding, and better formation/strategy logic.
To me, this is clearly the weakest area of the game right now.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2022, 10:14:48 AM »

I hope we'll see noticeable improvements to combat, especially deployment, pathfinding, and better formation/strategy logic.
To me, this is clearly the weakest area of the game right now.
>combat
>weakest area of the game
Pages: [1] 2