Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alex, how well can AI handle an Invictus?  (Read 1308 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Alex, how well can AI handle an Invictus?
« on: December 02, 2022, 05:22:56 AM »

It's shieldless, how does AI act with it?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

ChangeMe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Alex, how well can AI handle an Invictus?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 05:56:36 AM »

Pretty darn well my boy.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 08:46:21 AM »

It's shieldless, how does AI act with it?

The shieldlessness is generally not a problem for the AI. I recall adding some custom code to make it play nice with the range-and-firepower-boosting ship system, though, so it doesn't (often) turn away from a target while it's turned on, etc.

Pretty darn well my boy.

(Changed your display name, for obvious reasons. I understand that you're only trying to impersonate me in jest, but it still seems like a bad idea.)

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 02:04:11 AM »

I recall adding some custom code to make it play nice with the range-and-firepower-boosting ship system, though, so it doesn't (often) turn away from a target while it's turned on, etc.
Perhaps this piece of  code  could be shared to other capitals too.
The general idea  is, less  turn angle/rate per second then ship should tend to  finish current target rather  than  make a defensive move.

Current situation with Onslaught, Paragon, Dominator, ... is they  tend to switch to other target too quickly and start to turn. It looks like they prioritise the  closest ship as target regardless of status of the current target.
Result is, the slow turning ships shoot at enemy get shields  down, start to work on armour, then priority of closest ships comes in  game, so now  the AI cancel current target then acquire  another one, then start to turn (lowered DPS )  then start to shoot at full shield of other ship. (no real dmg)
Better should be,  a logic which evaluates danger of closer ship vs current  target status (time to live - quick simulation/aproximation how  long it would take to kill the target.).

Then result is, every ship evaluates his turning  speed (defensive move) against advantage of finishing current  target.   It  is ridiculous when frigates and Destro encircle Onslaught, then the massive  ship turn self into a whirlwind to deliver few  shots to  each enemy but kill  none.

Anyway, this  logic might take some time to do properly. I would rather see a new update as it is now. :-]
One update per year is not  much to ask, right?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 02:10:23 AM by gG_pilot »