Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Give the player the ability to add custom notes to map?  (Read 1412 times)

JJ842

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Give the player the ability to add custom notes to map?
« on: November 24, 2022, 03:12:14 AM »

Title basically says it all, kinda surprised this isn't possible currently. I spend way too much time going through different systems on the map screen trying to remember which one was the really good one I surveyed way back when. Or which one had the mining station that I coudn't salvage last time because I was out of cargo space. And so on.

Concept: Right-click on a system, planet or w/e -> select "add note" -> up pops a text box where you can write the note ("Good system, gate + low-haz terran + 2 x ultrarich barren" etc.) and select an icon to display (exclamation mark, question mark, skull & bones etc. with a few color options). The icon is then displayed next to the star in the main map, clicking on the star would then let the player view/edit/remove the note as needed.

A text search option would be really nice too, although there's a mod for that already iirc.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 03:54:22 AM by JJ842 »

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Give the player the ability to add custom notes to map?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 02:55:19 PM »

Yes

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 12:45:46 AM »

Everybody and their mom have been asking for this for ages. Cant be too hard to implement.
The whole intel/map screens need a bit of rework really, maybe that is panned so thaty why the log feature is not done yet.

cptdash

• Ensign
  • aka SpeedRacer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 10:41:14 PM »

Kresteel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 08:32:50 AM »

I can see there is a mod for this but I would also like to add my voice to those calling for this to be a base game feature... because ALL the reasons.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 09:28:10 AM »

Just FYI, this is very much on my longer-term radar! I don't like to promise things ahead of time, but it's something I'll definitely at least look at - though probably not for the next update.

Supereor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 11:03:41 AM »

What I find fascinating about this is that Captain's Log fixed the issue for me, but not in the way I thought it would.  I don't like having to use the console commands mod for putting in custom logs, so I basically never do, but because I didn't read everything that the mod did, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it kept a log of unexplored ruins and unsalvaged stations and whatnot.  At that point, I no longer saw the need to manually write logs myself, minus a few things like "recover this unique ship later"(edit: found out that it also keeps logs of derelicts and tracks what kind of ship they were) or something.  Maybe implementing it like that would be easier?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 06:04:14 PM by Supereor »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 12:38:58 PM »

That's a very interesting point, thank you for sharing this insight! I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 12:46:06 PM »

Yep, one of my main use-cases for notes is "Someone offered a mission to go scan a research station; I'm busy doing something else and it's way out of the way, but I want to keep a record of where it was so I can go loot it later."
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 04:31:36 AM »

Adding a Captain's Log which also contains "Last visited planets" would also help me a lot. Mostly when I search on specific planets for bar missions, complete one of them and then want to continue my cycle where I left off.

Not a Pirate

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 12:27:19 AM »

My Mum asked for this ages ago, then a friend of mine's Mum asked, and after that it was Mums everywhere, asking and asking....chaos I tell you.