Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Penelope's Star, ye olde faithful  (Read 2767 times)

Morpheus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Penelope's Star, ye olde faithful
« on: November 19, 2022, 07:51:34 AM »

Playthrough #3 from start to finish, i'm diligently looking for good systems that have a couple stable locations, a gateway and a good set of varied planets to settle down.  The first 2 playthroughs ended up being Penelope's Star because it's so close to the other factions even if it doesn't have the best planets, it's convenient.   Playthrough #3, random seed I still can't find a good set of planets that would beat this iteration of Penelope's star even though it's a worse set of planets than last time!  Is the game trying to tell me something?  Is there some lore to Penelope that I'm not aware of that she is calling out to me?  Is it some code that this penelope is embedded inside the game, trapped, like a screaming banshee, trying to bridge the gap from gameworld into the realworld?  I don't understand...

But there's something about Penelope's Star....
It's all or nothing, there is no in between.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Penelope's Star, ye olde faithful
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 08:37:42 AM »

In one game, I considered colonizing planets in the Kumari Kandam system.  Pathers are the dominate faction, but they lack military bases and cannot send a bombing fleet to wipe out your fledgling colonies.  Also, none the factions have patrols in the system, so running dark there is perfectly safe (provided you can scare off hostiles by being too big).  Having a black market loop planet plus a gate makes it handy.

If you play without mods, try MN-1 in the current release.  There is a system somewhat west of core with two Terrans (main Terran with Terran moon), another planet with other resources, and a gate.  Only thing missing in the system is a no atmosphere planet.

No atmosphere planets with not too high hazard are very valuable these days because of critical items (namely synchrotron) that require "No Atmosphere" to be installed.

Penelope's Star is not too bad.  Magec is close enough for a gate and that system has no patrols either.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 10:58:05 PM »

Penelope's Star has a guaranteed Desert planet, which have a chance of spawning with poor farmland. The cold toxic planet in the system(Xuthus) can also sometimes roll organics even though cold toxic planets should never have organics. If you get both you have all-in-one sytem right at the edge of core worlds.

Duzahk is even better though as it seems it will roll random planets in addition to the guaranteed Aka Mainju and Druj and since it's an orange star it has a decent chance of rolling habitables. Al-in-one Duzahk systems are actually more common than all-in-one Penelope's Star systems in my experience and they can get pretty good indeed.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 11:10:05 PM »

Also, none the factions have patrols in the system, so running dark there is perfectly safe (provided you can scare off hostiles by being too big).
Hmm?

Kumari Kandam has patrols from all three of the factions in it.

The Persean patrols generally get wrecked by the pirates or the pathers, so it's usually safe to fly around with your transponder off, but if you aren't careful you can catch them before they get themselves killed. There's just no reason to go to Olinadu, so it doesn't come up much.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 06:29:22 AM »

Kumari Kandam has patrols from all three of the factions in it.
They have small fleets, but not the type that beelines and pulls your fleet (no matter how big it is) over for a scan for having the transponder off, which costs rep and guarantees a fight if you do not agree to a scan (or bluff your way out with a story point).

Hostiles may go after your fleet if it is small and look like easy pickings, but that is a stock enemy encounter, not a shakedown from a faction's police force.

I have traveled with transponder off in Kandam with impunity unmolested, although I had a big enough fleet to chase away enemies.  Magec and Mayasura are other systems where player can travel dark with impunity (and shop at black markets for ships and weapons).

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »

They have small fleets, but not the type that beelines and pulls your fleet (no matter how big it is) over for a scan for having the transponder off, which costs rep and guarantees a fight if you do not agree to a scan (or bluff your way out with a story point).
... I could have sworn Olinadu occasionally generated Persean patrol fleets, which absolutely would flag you down if they didn't get into a losing fight with the pirates or pathers first.

Couldn't find any when I loaded up saves to check, though, so I might be misremembering, or maybe it got changed at some point.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 02:56:49 PM »

The only time I ever considered colonizing Penelope's Star was when RNG made it spawn with both Gas Giants having floating continents on them (making them actually passable for colonization). That only ever happened once in a lot of games. Otherwise it's only ever mediocre.

Admiral_hipper112

• Ensign
  • Keep cool and stay cool that's my motto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 11:01:09 AM »

Only actually Colonized 1 gas giant in Penelope's Star As an Outpost and Volatile/Fuel Station For my fleet just me being paranoid and me spamming Colonies and putting evey single Alpha core (even tho I only have 2) as administrator in case the hegemony invades me to death
Anime pics and starsector don't mix well but are hella funny