Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converted Hangar builds? Does this hullmod need a buff?  (Read 2083 times)

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
Converted Hangar builds? Does this hullmod need a buff?
« on: November 17, 2022, 12:16:33 PM »

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Converted_Hangar

Converts the ship's standard shuttle hangar to house a fighter bay. The improvised manufactory that produces fighter chassis is unreliable, and most components have minor defects. Fighter speed reduced by 25%, and damage taken increased by 25%.

Increases the minimum crew required by 20 to account for pilots and bay crews. Increases the ordnance point cost of bombers by 100%, and of all other fighters by 50%.

Can not be installed on frigates, phase ships, or ships that already have proper fighter bays.

OP cost: -/10/15/20

I've thought about using Converted Hangar but the pricey OP cost always turns me off from it. You have to pay OP just to install the hullmod and then you have to pay 1.5x or 2.0x the usual price for a single LPC, which is 25% slower and takes 25% more damage. Are there any Converted Hangar builds that you guys consider good, or even optimal?

Perhaps the hullmod simply needs a buff? It causes a considerable change to any ship it's used on. You're diverting lots of OP from weapons, flux stats, etc in exchange for a fighter wing that the ship normally wouldn't have. Given the recent expansion in Luddic lore which states that they make frequent use of converted hangars with Perdition Bombers, maybe Luddic Church and Luddic Path ships should get some kind of OP discount on Converted Hangar?
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Converted Hangar builds? Does this hullmod need a buff?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 12:46:56 PM »

Converted Hangar + Xyphos works well on a lot of destroyers. For 37 OP investment, you get a pair of Ion Beams and a pair of Burst PD Lasers (worth 38 OP on their own) with the Advanced Optics buff, plus the fighters themselves have minor tanking ability when you vent or overload.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 02:41:06 PM »

I've been playing with a luddic fleet, and low tech ships do just fine with converted hangers, not like they are actually much better/worse with cheaper guns, saves putting fighters and interceptors in the carriers. High tech ships however often need all the points they can get for vents and weapons.

It's expensive when compared to carriers, but a swarm of bees is a swarm of bees. Every Enforcer helps.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 05:11:32 PM »

I think it depends a bit on skill build and exactly what the player wants from fighters, but I've made good use of converted hangar before.

One thing that really benefits Converted Hangars when mods are involved is a "medium tier" support fighter that sit between the 0 OP (+converted hangar cost) Mining Drones and the 27 OP (+converted hangar cost) Xyphos. Wasps work pretty well to blunt the initial impact of a fighter/missile heavy enemy fleet with their mines, and good old broadswords give decent kinetic pressure and hull regen without being too slow.

I haven't really played around with it for bombers due to the speed penalty on already slow wings and the increased OP costs - I know some people like Longbows but they just seem so expensive! If I could tell the AI to always keep the Longbows in reserve, so they hang out behind my ship zapping missiles and firing sabots, that would be a lot better for converted hangar, at least in my opinion.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 11:34:32 PM »

Buff? If anything it needs a nerf(i.e. removing the advanced optics from Xyphos) It's too easy to simply forgo most of PD on your ship and go for Converted Hangar/Xyphos instead.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 06:31:21 AM »

The "buff" I would prefer to see for it is converting the fighter wing into a support one. Perhaps also lowering the OP penalty and prohibiting bombers outright.

There's little value in using normal fighters in CH destroyers/cruisers, you might as well get a proper carrier.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 06:40:18 AM »

The penalties count as if from D-Mods, iirc, so the impact is reduced by the likes of Rugged Construction.

Lortus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 07:52:18 AM »

>Probably the 4th best hullmod in the game
>need buff
skull

Pratapon51

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 11:00:01 AM »

It's strong on destroyers and a few cruisers. I'd say the only time it feels weakish is on capitals, and even then, not always, because non-carrier capitals tend to have lots of OP to spare.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 12:44:23 PM »

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Converted_Hangar
Converts the ship's standard shuttle hangar to house a fighter bay. The improvised manufactory that produces fighter chassis is unreliable, and most components have minor defects. Fighter speed reduced by 25%, and damage taken increased by 25%.
  The section  about reducing percentage performance should go. Reason  is >>> for  general game simplicity and predictable behavior. The game number heavy, bonuses   and penalties are piling up, some multiplicative some additive. It relay hard to get result.
If the lead designer belive Converted hangar is too sttrong then change price from 20 to 22. But  for sake of simplicity cut out section with percantge reduction.

Similar suggestion > when player equip weapons on the ship, it is hard to say what is the real range and damage. Again, for sake of simplicity show the final range and damage (or any changed numbers in  parenthesis)
e.i. when mouse over a weapon and get a weapon tooltip make it expanded so it shows a table-like  form which looks like this:
Range                 1000    [1200]
Flux  per second  140                                           < ----- No change, no number, easy looking, you see ?
Damage per shot   20         [22]

For modified numbers ALL bonuses are counted: include hull mods, include pilot skill, include main char  fleet bonuses skills, ... .
At the moment, the game DO NOT offer modified numbers, never. Player is sentenced to guess. That is a design flaw in number heavy game.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 12:52:05 PM by gG_pilot »