Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: a modest portrait pack -- 100+ vanilla-adjacent portraits  (Read 6498 times)

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: a modest portrait pack -- 100+ vanilla-adjacent portraits
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2022, 03:19:40 AM »

An inspection fleet has been sent to your position.
Jokes aside this is pretty neat.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 12:29:30 PM »

Spoiler
[close]
Ah yes, here we can observe the Game Gerf in its natural habitat.
TL;DR deez nuts

Severian Void

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2022, 08:35:27 PM »

(Last I read, training the models on specific image sets requires an industrial grade GPU--something closer to an A100 than a 3090--which isn't something I have access to.)

Would love to know more about what kind of prompts you worked out to get the style so closely, I really struggled with managing that so instead I have been spending my last few weeks working on training models to use for my starsector mod making since I couldn't ever seem to manage decent results with just prompts alone.
I was planning to work on a portrait pack myself to go along with releasing the portrait model I have been training, but looks like a bunch of you have all beat me to it for AI generated portrait packs. Though I have been spending all my time trying to improve and train a better and better model so I haven't really stopped to make use of it yet even though the results are probably more than good enough.

I will make a full forum post when I finish up and release the model, with some tips and guides on things I have learned while using it.

This is a batch of images directly out of the custom model I have trained, I have thousands more of similar quality just sitting around now.

The model is able to adapt quite well and will maintain the style even if its generating things well outside the scope of the training set. I posted a bunch more under the spoiler with some outlandish things that don't exist. Obviously some images still have issues not everything could be used directly out of generation but so much of it is just a few steps from usable.
Spoiler
The only editing I did to these was chop out the backdrops to make them black

Some of this stuff is not supposed to exist you have been warned!
Spoiler
These I haven't edited at all and are directly from generation, you can see that sometimes it gets the black background correct but frequently it fills it in, but overall it holds the style very well even on subjects well outside any of the training data.
[close]
[close]

If anyone wants any more info just contact me I am the same name on the unofficial starsector discord
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 01:47:49 AM by Severian Void »

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 05:59:09 AM »

Stable Diffusion doesn't run on my computer. I guess because it's an old laptop.

But what happens if you use it to generate new ships for Starsector based on the existing sprites?
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Severian Void

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 12:21:36 PM »

Stable Diffusion doesn't run on my computer. I guess because it's an old laptop.

But what happens if you use it to generate new ships for Starsector based on the existing sprites?

So far the answer has been its very rough, training picks up the overall structure of the images very well even in the case of ships. The problem though is that the neural nets have several more or less compression steps its not really compression but rather changing the shape of the image but the end result is the same and you lose the high frequency details in the image. If you have ever seen what jpg compression does to detailed pixel art its a similar issue.

Additionally part of the reason why it can be so good at portraits is because the base network that the additional training was applied to was trained on hundreds of millions of pictures of people for tens of thousands of computational hours, but would not have been trained on nearly as many images of spaceships. So it has a much better understanding of the structure of a human and can recreate it much better just in general, so getting good results after modifying and applying additional training on something it knows well is a lot easier.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 06:13:25 PM by Severian Void »

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2022, 07:22:48 AM »

Someone is welcome to put them into pack and post them to the forums on my behalf if so moved.

Done!

hi,
how do I install it?
it is not on my "Mods..." screen

btw. really nice pics and fits to the game
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 07:25:43 AM by Havoc »

FastestDraw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2022, 09:42:25 AM »

Someone is welcome to put them into pack and post them to the forums on my behalf if so moved.

Done!

hi,
how do I install it?
it is not on my "Mods..." screen

btw. really nice pics and fits to the game

It should be just drag and drop the folder inside the downloaded folder to the mods folder. It doesn't handle nested folders great, and the download folder and mod folder have the same name, so its easy to mix up.

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2022, 11:01:41 AM »

it does not occur in my mods list
also tried to add "AMPP" manually to the json

it was extracted to mods
tried also without nested subfolders

edit:
maybe I found the problem....several starsector installations and mod was in the wrong one :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 11:11:07 AM by Havoc »
Pages: 1 [2]