Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: [0.97a] Illustrated.Entities 1.2.b - Custom colony images and descriptions  (Read 90871 times)

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile

I hesitate to add this to my modlist because of the VRAM requirement (I do fine on normal RAM, but VRAM has tended to be a struggle for a bit due to my modlist) but good christ that is a feature set I've desperately wanted for a while. Great work as always, Hartley!

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

VRAM requirement can actually be mitigated almost entirely.

The mod only loads the pictures you look at. This means that when you enter a system with 4 planets, it'll load these 4 pictures.
If you visit every single vanilla system, that'll be around 100 images, or 45mb VRAM.

When you use the image picker, it also has to load the images it displays. So if you use that one, you'll likely have a high VRAM load (depending on how many different images it had to load), but if you pick your image, then save and restart the game (just reloading the save is not enough!), it'll unload all pictures and you will have a blank slate again.

as such, it's surprisingly light on VRAM even during normal use.

If you want to go full light-mode, set "illent_apply_pre_set_images" to "false" (and keep "illent_apply_images_to_random_colonies" and "illent_overwrite_vanilla_illustrations" false as well!). That way, vanilla colonies don't get images, you can still choose pictures for your own, and you'll probably stay under 5mb vram use if you restart the game after using the image picker.

You'd miss out on the cool new pictures for vanilla planets, though :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 01:29:30 PM by SirHartley »

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile

You'd miss out on the cool new pictures for vanilla planets, though :P

I'd probably be okay with this in future versions of Starsector, if only because it seems like a ton of vanilla planets will be getting new images anyway.

Otherwise, that's super rad! I can definitely put up with a one-time VRAM spike if it means having all these options for extra verisimilitude. You have no idea how badly I want to give colonies their own descriptions

Great work once again, Hartley, and thanks for the explanation!

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This is oddly fitting in a game with procedural generation to have similar things applied to art.

Great work!

Raif Redacted

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Idk how simple this seems to other people who actually do this work constantly, but... man, this is gorgeous.

Viravain

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks for the release! Editing descriptions & images always adds more flavor to campaigns :) I played around with it a bit this morning and have a few minor issues to report.

Running 0.95.1a-RC6 on 64-bit Windows with JRE 1.8.0_271-b09. No other mods except as mentioned in repro steps.

Issue 1: Editor buttons disappear on dialogue refresh.
Steps to reproduce:
  • Interact with a planet or station you can edit the description of.
  • Select dialogue option 2 ("Take a shuttle down to visit a dockside bar") or 5 ("Consider your military options").
  • Return to the main dialogue (e.g. via the ESC key).
Expected: Editor buttons present and interactable underneath the colony image.
Observed: Editor buttons are not present.
Notes: mktGoBack not triggering the right rules?

Issue 2: Deleting description does not restore original description for entities with pre-existing custom descriptions.
Steps to reproduce:
  • Either install Nexerelin or set illent_allow_change_on_NPC_market=true.
  • If using Nexerelin, own a planet or station with a pre-existing custom description (a "custom planet"), such as the Port Tse Franchise Station.
  • Modify the custom planet's description.
  • Delete the custom planet's description.
Expected: The custom planet's description is restored to its original state.
Observed: The custom planet's description is replaced with the default description. For stations, this results in no tooltip being rendered on mouseover in the campaign layer.
Notes: Suggest storing entity's original description ID in TextDataEntry and having TextHandler reset to that ID instead of always to null. Could also be WAI with some extra UX guardrails or more comprehensive edit history traversal.

Issue 3: Pressing the tab key while editing text puts the UI in a bad-but-recoverable state.
Steps to reproduce:
  • Open a TextChangerPanel by interacting with a planet and pressing the "desc." button.
  • Click on a text entry element.
  • Press the tab key.
Expected: Either nothing happens (like the comm directory or sub-dialogs like the bar) or the map opens (like the main dialog or the trade screen).
Observed: The trade screen background is visible (planet zoomed-in on right edge of screen). Main campaign UI (clock, tripad, minimap) visible in foreground. Mousing over where dialog options would be plays sounds and clicking on them plays an interaction sound but nothing happens. Keyboard input is preferentially consumed by the campaign UI (e.g. skills on hotbar can be activated). Spacebar closes all dialogs. Pressing tab again opens the map and exiting the map returns to the description editing panel.
Notes: ??

Issue 4: Mouseover descriptions do not support multiline text.
Steps to reproduce:
  • Create and apply a description where text1 contains a double-newline by having a blank entry between two non-empty entries, such as "asdf\n\njkl;".
  • Mouse over the planet/station/etc. in the main campaign layer.
Expected: Tooltip shows two lines of text.
Observed: Tooltip only renders the first line of text (e.g. just the "asdf" from above).
Notes: Expect this is a core tooltip limitation.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 08:09:21 PM by Viravain »

Texas Redhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

An absolutely superb mod that finally lets me colonize Penelope's Star to my heart's content without being annoyed by the planet descriptions being off. Well done!

So far I have encountered only a single issue: the image I picked for one of my planets keeps getting reset. Just the one planet though. I think it's because the mod wants to prioritize using one of the pictures for a "mining" tagged world when I'm trying to get it to prioritize the fact that it's a lava world, but I'm not 100% sure what is causing the issue. I have manually set the picture a few times, only for it to swap to something else when I come back later or load my save.

V_KJ

• Ensign
  • Coffee tastes great, wdym?
    • View Profile

Finally, flavor texts for my colonies! No longer is it gonna be default descs now I can add in anything I want!
"How do you code in a Macbook?"

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Thanks for the release! Editing descriptions & images always adds more flavor to campaigns :) I played around with it a bit this morning and have a few minor issues to report.

Running 0.95.1a-RC6 on 64-bit Windows with ....
You get the award for absolute best bug report of the year. Thank you, I'll go over all of those and check back with you once I know more.

An absolutely superb mod that finally lets me colonize Penelope's Star to my heart's content without being annoyed by the planet descriptions being off. Well done!

So far I have encountered only a single issue: the image I picked for one of my planets keeps  getting reset...
Which planet? is it an orbital station, by chance?

DrTechman42

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I think I'm doing something wrong. Any changes to my colonies do not persist through saves. I edit the image and the description, check that it works, then save and reload and everything is gone.
I did see a significant increase in memory leak errors after my most recent mod rearrangement, could it be the culprit?

Zanzibar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thank you for the mod.

I've found a bug. Trying to abandon any colony crashes the game. Not sure if this was always the case during my campaign, but I noticed it after conquering a station from another faction and trying to abandon it (I'm using Nexerelin).

193665 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at illustratedEntities.helper.ImageHandler.removeImageFrom(ImageHandler.java:36)
   at illustratedEntities.listeners.NewColonyImageAdder.reportPlayerAbandonedColony(NewColonyImageAdder.java:27)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.campaign.listeners.ListenerUtil.reportPlayerAbandonedColon y(ListenerUtil.java:81)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.AbandonMarketPluginImpl.abandonConfirmed(AbandonMarketPluginImpl.java:123)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.OO00.dialogDismissed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.N.dismiss(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.K.dismiss(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.comms.v2.B.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

I also noticed that I couldn't change the picture/description of the conquered station at all. Tried to save, reload etc.. I even enabled the option to change NPC's colonies pictures but they won't show up.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile

Weird mod interaction with TASC. If you build two sets of astropoli around two different planets in the same system, like in Penelope's Star, the first set will become impossible to change the description. Trying to change it around Ithaca changes it around Telephilus, but NOT vice-versa. This makes it impossible to change the descriptions, short of deleting them. Only works for custom descriptions. Any hope of a fix? Not sure which mod causes it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 12:34:45 PM by YourLocalMairaaboo »

rawkhawklives

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Another absolutely stellar release from SirHartley. I have been asking for several years now on the discord why a mod exactly like this never got made before and you've just gone and done it.

edixo

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Absolutely love this mod. It adds so much flair to each planet.

A small thing; a lot of people (me included) use terraforming mods. Is there a way to make it so the pictures and tags on the planets automatically update if the planet type is changed?

Alexey Skywalker

• Ensign
    • View Profile

A "bug", or rather a weird interaction with TASC is that upgrading the Station seems to reset both the image and the desc. text.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8