Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: [0.97a] Illustrated.Entities 1.2.b - Custom colony images and descriptions  (Read 90791 times)

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

SAVE COMPATIBLE

Download
Requires LazyLib

There are currently no known compatibility issues with other mods.

Integrated with Version Checker
Supports Unknown Skies planet types

Short Summary
Adds images to all vanilla planets, a way to change them, and 500+ AI-generated illustrations to choose from for your own colonies.
Change planet and colony descriptions with an in-game interface.

Long Summary
This mod contains around 550 AI-generated illustrations for colonies that have been sorted and edited.
It adds pre-specified images to all vanilla planets and can add fitting images to modded (setting disabled by default!) and newly established colonies.
In random mode, the algorithm tries to pick matching illustrations for each planet depending on planet type, conditions, size, population, faction and some other factors.
You can change and adjust the description of any planets you own, adding or removing text as you like, for better roleplaying and immersion.

The mod is highly customizable, check the settings file.

VRAM-Impact can be high - the mod only loads images in systems you visit, but cannot un-load them, so VRAM use can be up to 250mb depending on your actions.
If you are playing on a system with a weak graphics card (< 2gb VRAM), consider not using this mod.

To install the mod, simply download the .zip file from the link above, unzip it in your Starsector mods directory, and enable it in the launcher.
This can be added to ongoing games - and it will break saves if removed.

Text changing Functionality
Your colony texts are boring!

You click the change button and write a better description!

Click save, and your colony texts are no longer boring!

[close]
Image changing Functionality
You establish a colony, and the mod automatically picks a fitting image!

If you don't like it, just click the change button, pick your tags, preview and choose!

You can apply any image to any planet, no holds barred.
Duplicates are disabled by default for immersion, but can be displayed with a simple click.

Your new image will greet you every time you dock - until you decide to change it again.

[close]
Image Examples
[close]
FAQ

Can I add images to my planets?
Yup, that's what this mod is for.

Can I change the images on NPC planets?
Yes - either change the setting in Illustrated.Entities/data/config/settings.json, or just enable devmode (remember to turn it off afterwards!).

Does it add images to my existing colonies?
Yes, on game start. If a colony doesn't have an image, just save and reload, if it still doesn't have one, report it here.

It doesn't apply images to modded colonies, why?!?
Mod authors have their own vision of a planet, and my algorithm is not infallible (it tries, but it's probably a gamma core. Don't discriminate.). Feel free to enable the setting to apply random images, but don't be disappointed if the results don't match up.

Can I add my own images?
Sure! It's probably easiest to just replace an existing one, but if you want to make the effort, just add the image in the correct 480x300px, RGB-8, .png format in the mod folder, and add the line in image_data.csv. Add at least one "required" tag so the image shows up, and presto!

The images you picked for vanilla suck!
You can always switch that image by editing image_data.csv, it's easy! I'm also always open to suggestions - just post the planet and the image number here, and I'll give it a look.

How many images did you sort through?
Around 6500.

Those tags are weird.
You are weird.

Did you really spend two months of your free time doing this?
Look, man. You spend your time playing League of Legends, I spend mine sperging over .csv files. We are probably on the same autism level.

Are you okay?
I dream of Midjourney, and the machine mind probably dreams of me. At least I hope it does, since my eyes ran away. Not that they ever existed, except for that time they did. Ask Tim for his shizo meds he forgot to take them again and might sell them to you.

[close]
Change Log
1.2.b
  • Adjusted - 0.97 compatibility

1.2.a
  • Added - setting specifying if the pre-set images overwrite the existing vanilla illustrations. off by default.
  • Adjusted - 0.96 compatibility
  • Fixed - Crash when abandoning a colony
  • Fixed - Custom set images are no longer lost on save reload
  • Fixed - Orbital Stations no longer have different visuals than planets until player leaves system
  • Fixed - Custom images now get retained when set via orbital station
  • Fixed - Custom images now immediately apply to orbital stations when leaving a planet

1.1.a
  • General
  • Added - In-game overlay allowing you to change planet and colony descriptions and texts
  • Added - Setting to set the "Display duplicates" button to true by default
  • Fixed - Should now consistently apply illustrations to player owned planets without image
  • Fixed - Removed signature from image 12
  • Fixed - Added !cld tag to image 3
[close]
Attribution / Acknowledgement
Midjourney     Well, that one is kinda obvious, now is it.
The Mod Mafia     Keeping me sane while I slowly donated my brain to the machine
Photoshop Healing Brush     The real MVP - without you, I would not have finished this
[close]

Ask before using my code. You may remix, transform, and build upon the images included in this mod.
I very much appreciate feedback or suggestions, for both current and future content.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 03:21:41 PM by SirHartley »

Lukas04

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Illustrated.Entites 1.0.a - Custom illustrations for colonies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 04:21:16 PM »

Looks really cool, looking forward to using this in a playthrough to add some personality to different planets. 
The Image examples look great, hope filtering through the hordes of bad results didnt take you way to long haha.
My Mods

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 04:26:19 PM »

Oh wow, thats a lot of AI images!

MrNage

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 04:55:55 PM »

.....Could you do this to bars?

Klize1917

• Ensign
  • I love Bing Chilling
    • View Profile
    • Chinese Forum Personal Page
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 06:15:55 PM »

could you allow us to translate to the chinese forum? https://www.fossic.org/
When my friends ask me what I'm playing, I say I'm playing excel and notepad, sometimes java.

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 01:27:21 AM »

Its godlike!

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 02:15:15 AM »

Amazing!
BTW, where did you get the sample for the AI to study? There have lately been a few scandals with AI art, and wanted to make sure everything was a-ok.
Also, is it retroactive, and can I pick them for markets already generated?
Edit: Oops, sorry, missed the expalanation.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 02:18:53 AM by YourLocalMairaaboo »

Vundaex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 04:14:16 AM »

BTW, where did you get the sample for the AI to study? There have lately been a few scandals with AI art, and wanted to make sure everything was a-ok.

What scandal are you talking about exactly?

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 04:32:06 AM »

.....Could you do this to bars?
If I wanted to spend two months doing it, yeah, I could - but I probably won't cause I am burned out on looking at pictures :P

Amazing!
Also, is it retroactive, and can I pick them for markets already generated?
Edit: Oops, sorry, missed the expalanation.
Midjourney. Not me, I'm just the prompt monkey~

What scandal are you talking about exactly?
Probably some people not understanding how AI image generation works. There's this persistent rumor that it's just image kitbashing, which is plain wrong - you can read up on it here:
https://twitter.com/ai__pub/status/1561362542487695360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVcsDDABEkM&feature=youtu.be
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1564878372185989120.html

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 04:32:33 AM »

could you allow us to translate to the chinese forum? https://www.fossic.org/
Yeah, I approve the translation.

Alexey Skywalker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 05:58:39 AM »

Added the mod to a new save, but after several reloads,my colonies donĀ“t get a new image nor the option to change it.

Vanilla planets did get a new background.

https://imgur.com/zH3jAd4

https://imgur.com/JYM2G9I

deathfur

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 06:19:39 AM »

Your mods are amazing! :D

Vundaex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 07:20:58 AM »

Probably some people not understanding how AI image generation works. There's this persistent rumor that it's just image kitbashing, which is plain wrong - you can read up on it here:

That's exactly what I was afraid of hearing from him. I can't stand hearing this kind of b on social networks anymore:/
People won't even make the effort to educate themselves about this technology.
The real issue might be deepfakes or emulating a professional artist that is still alive and attempting to make money from it.
But that's a completely different situation here.

Anyway, thanks for your work, and sorry for hijacking your thread :)
550 images must have taken you hours and still represents a lot of effort. Great work!

PS: And I even want to add that you are using AI in the best way possible. Visual consistency, thematic cohesion, quality/quantity balance.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 07:23:15 AM by Vundaex »

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 08:34:20 AM »

That's exactly what I was afraid of hearing from him. I can't stand hearing this kind of b on social networks anymore:/
People won't even make the effort to educate themselves about this technology.
The real issue might be deepfakes or emulating a professional artist that is still alive and attempting to make money from it.
But that's a completely different situation here.

Anyway, thanks for your work, and sorry for hijacking your thread :)
550 images must have taken you hours and still represents a lot of effort. Great work!

PS: And I even want to add that you are using AI in the best way possible. Visual consistency, thematic cohesion, quality/quantity balance.
Fair enough, but I was mostly talking about stuff like the Deviantart AI art scandal, where the users' art was used unless they explicitly opted out for each piece (and for a while the opt out was broken). Not saying SirHartley would jut datamine the forums for planet art, of course, but was kinda curious about the "inspirations" and wanted to make sure it did not end up with the angry mob TASC did a while back. (Which was harsh, but still understandable.)
I was not worried about the AI art itself (this is an amazing use of it, and I know it is not just a copy paster), but wanted to know where Hartley got the training samples (own mods, friendly modders who volunteered, submissions, or using a preexisting AI art generator).
Even then, I get if that is something that is deemed too intrusive. It was mostly to try calm some irrational concerns and to find other amazing mods, NOT an accusation.

Coil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2022, 09:27:07 AM »

Another staple to my modlist. Well done sirhartley!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8