Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding a OP-balance-bar to the battle screen  (Read 333 times)

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
Adding a OP-balance-bar to the battle screen
« on: November 16, 2022, 09:35:23 AM »

After reading Alex' twitter post about making things a bit new player friendly, I had an idea for another step in this direction:
Could you please add on the top of the battle-screen a bar, which shows the OP-ratio between your and the enemy fleet and which changes when ships flee or get destroyed?

There's a lot going on in a battle simultaneously, which is kind of difficult for a new player.
Adding such a bar would (1) give the players at the start of battle some indication how their chances are for winning and (2) would help a lot during a battle, especially if you are busy controlling your flagship, with an information if the things in other places go well or horribly wrong.

And for the Pros here in the forum:
I know, OP-points are no absolut number for a ships-fighting capability, because of the complexity of the game, different damage types, different weapon-loadouts and so on. But it would be atleast some indication and helpfull information to see, how a battle progresses. Not perfect, but better than nothing (and right know there is nothing).

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a OP-balance-bar to the battle screen
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 05:58:29 AM »

I know, OP-points are no absolut number for a ships-fighting capability, because of ...<snip>
Not perfect, but better than nothing (and right know there is nothing).
Perhaps you meant DP - Deployment Points.  Which is a sort of equal combat power of the ship. And, yeas I agree. A simple bar on top of combat map would help. Also add this bar at Reinforce screen, so when player call ships in, he can see the current balance  of forces.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 10:21:44 AM »

I know, OP-points are no absolut number for a ships-fighting capability, because of ...<snip>
Not perfect, but better than nothing (and right know there is nothing).
Perhaps you meant DP - Deployment Points.  Which is a sort of equal combat power of the ship. And, yeas I agree. A simple bar on top of combat map would help. Also add this bar at Reinforce screen, so when player call ships in, he can see the current balance  of forces.

I was referring to the Ordnance points, the points each ship does have to equip weapons, mods and so on. But maybe the DP are a better measurement, that may Alex decide.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 11:16:57 AM »

Displaying DP would be better, since it could be also used (with hard flux indicator-like floating thingy) to indicate the maximum DP you can deploy vs what you have deployed already, potentially reminding the player to replace destroyed ships or allocate the additional DP you got from objectives.