Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Search and Destroy not functioning?  (Read 375 times)

Ashford

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Search and Destroy not functioning?
« on: November 16, 2022, 04:32:23 AM »

Hello all,

So I was playing a bit last night and my game suddenly stopped registering search and destroy as a valid programmed command on any of my ships, captained or otherwise.

Earlier in the night it worked completely fine but now in tactical view when I select search and destroy as an option its highlighted yet the crafts that i select to have this function do not have the yellow arrow indicating this directive. Instead they will just ignore all enemies and B-line it to the back of the battle space unless I individually designate targets.

Any ideas what may have caused this?

I am running mods but the combination never caused anything like this before and I've played it for hundreds of hours with no issues, and i haven't changed any key-binds as they are all still the default selection.

Thank you kindly for your time.
"League Dogs... Welcome To Earth."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Search and Destroy not functioning?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 08:05:28 AM »

Hi, thank you for the report! Hmm. Were you possibly out of command points?

Instead they will just ignore all enemies and B-line it to the back of the battle space unless I individually designate targets.

This sounds like your forces maybe retreating - either in a pursuit battle, or in a full retreat? But I'd imagine you would know if this was happening, and wouldn't explain the S&D behavior. So: also strange.

Nothing else comes to mind right now as to what the issue might be.

Ashford

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 08:52:29 AM »

Hello Alex,

That was actually my first thought in combat against the ai but I did in fact have command points. Upon completion of the combat instance I immediately went into simulation mode to test my flagship as well as other ships in my fleet and they all had the same issue.

Unfortunately there wasn't an error or crash so I'm not sure what possibly happened.
I may just reinstall my game and retry my mods to see if there is a conflict that just isn't triggering an error or crash to happen.

I have a feeling it's a mod conflict that just isn't triggering right away, which makes it all the more difficult to pin point.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 09:47:46 AM »

Very strange indeed, and I don't think this is something most mods touch - though I suppose it's possible! I'd try starting a new campaign just to see if it happens, before reinstalling. Or trying one of the main-menu missions.

Ashford

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 09:55:29 AM »

Ill give it a shot thanks, on the plus side it gives me an excuse to try a new playstyle idea I've been thinking of.

Ashford

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 04:10:10 AM »

So starting a new game or closing the app seemed to clear the issue but it returns after sometime, I still don't know what causes it. Not a big deal though as I typically don't do fleet sized combat as microing a fleet is not one of my strong skills.

Either way, also wanted to say thank you Alex to you and your team, this is by far one of the most enjoyable and well developed games I have ever had the pleasure of playing, alpha/beta or otherwise. I've happily sunk thousands of hours across multiple characters and no two play throughs are ever the same.