Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What is your preferred piloted ship type?

Small (destroyer, frigate etc)
- 13 (14%)
Small (destroyer, frigate etc) - overdriven
- 14 (15.1%)
Capital Ship (battleship, cruiser etc)
- 54 (58.1%)
Capital Ship (battleship, cruiser etc) - overdriven
- 5 (5.4%)
Phase Ships
- 7 (7.5%)
Phase Ships - overdriven
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is your prefered piloted ship type?  (Read 3919 times)

Pokpaul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: What is your prefered piloted ship type?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 12:43:54 PM »

The Brave Blade frigate from the Blade Breaker deserter start of Dassault-Mikoyan is stupid OP but also stupid fun.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2022, 01:32:06 AM »

Nothing is more satisfying than the good ol' fashioned 2x AM blaster afflictor

Blasphemy! it's 3 AM blasters early and 4 with fully leveled and optimized character.

I like the phase assassin playstyle, but AI totally doesn't understand it. Reminds me of good old Morrowind somewhat: AI thinks it plays an rpg, but you are playing an action/shooter, so any enemy is trivial to defeat by kiting. SS AI similarly doesn't understand the concept of shield bypass by maneuverable phase ships.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 02:43:49 AM by TaLaR »

Lortus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2022, 07:50:39 AM »

SO Destroyer in early game. SO Cruiser or Battleship in mid/late game. No phase, no ships with good shields, no fast ships, no high tech, no unique ships. The high-tech-cells can have their broken cheat ships.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 08:53:32 PM »

For me it's less about what class of ship it is and more about just how good it feels to pilot a given hull, depending on its weapon layout, speed, and ship system.  Some end up sounding like odd choices but they work great for me; the Atlas MkII for example.  Throw two mjolnirs on it and focus your efforts on making it more sustainable and controllable and it delivers PUNISHING firepower with that accelerated ammo feeder.  Not only can it HAMMER through shields and armor alike but it can also sweep fighter waves from the field with manual targeting. 

Honestly though, I'll fly lots of things as long as they're not frigates.  Most just don't deliver the punch nor take one and I'm not a fan of phase ships; they just have no endurance in a long drawn out battle.  You only get so many ships in your fleet without penalties so in my book they might as well be worth the slot.  I don't really fly carriers either; they're best left to the AI.

memeextremist

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 07:16:45 PM »

dunno. I like a lot of them. afflictor, harbinger, zigg, dominator, onslaught, conquest, odyssey, astral, legion, modded pirate eagle, HMI locomotive, ??? Notre Dame, 14th legion, and like every good capital from Tahlan and Seeker.

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2022, 03:39:52 AM »

Im very glad most of us agree the appropriate way of commanding a fleet is from the battleship.

My preferred capital is the Odyssey. Sometimes ill run a double-hyperion tech build as flagships. Aurora is a pretty good flagship too. Sometimes if I limit myself to a pure wolfpack of destroyers and frigates my command ship is a Harbinger. Being able to selectively pop shields is pretty good.

Nazeth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2023, 08:13:54 PM »

My prefereable playstyle is to keep my enemies far away from my ships, so i have ships with really long range weapons for low DP to bring more of them to outnumber enemy with medium size ships.

For example low-tech cruisers/destroyers with Heavy Mauler + Hyperveloctity Driver + Railgun combo. With proper officers and hullmods they can outrange any enemy fleet without beign hurt xD The best example are Eradicator and Enforcer spam with some frigs to flank. Eradicators are very long range snipers with ability to greatly increase rate of fire, so they can very quickly melt small and medium ships. Enforcers are like little brothers to provide support and numbers against those, who want come closer and quicly change positions with Burn Drive.

I dont like any fighters, because since last changes only 8 wings can get full bonus. This isn't enough for them to survive constant fire from enemy PD and do something useful. I also dont like energy weapons. They aren't as effective as balistic weapons to overload enemy shields.

Now im thinking how utilize Falcons for similar strategy, since they cost only 14 DP and as cruisers they have access to 40% range bonus :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:06:29 AM by Nazeth »

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2023, 08:21:41 AM »

I switch around a few frigates (mostly the majestic Omen) as long as I can get away with it, using the occasional destroyer if longer term consistency of brute force is needed. The turning point for me is the start of the endgame (bigger enemy fleets, raids, the Janus device, etc.) or finding a derelict Odyssey. Once I get it I still tend to switch to other ships, if it is an easier battle, but for the most engagements I use the giant d*ldo to penetrate from the rear. It's fun.

A while back I was using a (base) Legion as my capital, with lots of Kinetic guns and a bunch of Daggers. It's fun too, but requires way more commands to be given to your ships, and you're less able to move around the battle to assist your other ships in case they are being pushed hard.

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2023, 03:44:26 PM »

I prefer frigates and cruiser or fast destroyer... always feel like most vanila destroyer lack in fiepower compared to frigates or cruiser dp cost.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 04:17:55 AM »

Tempest. My peak performance is probably in a Conquest or Odyssey (or Doom...), but Tempest is my guilty pleasure. It's not as strong as it used to be, but it's still fun. Other frigates are cool too, I suppose. Flaming ships out with Hyperion certainly is funny.
Pages: 1 [2]