Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How difficult is it to find a Paragon/Doom?  (Read 2150 times)

coffeeaddict

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How difficult is it to find a Paragon/Doom?
« on: January 01, 2023, 11:00:36 PM »

I have 1.1m and I wanted to use it to build an orbital station and maybe a patrol HQ but I'm now distracted by the illegal arms dealer and he's currently selling a Paragon, Doom, Apogee, Harbinger, and a few other capital ships. Am I missing a good opportunity to buy 1 of these ships? And my other plan was to buy something then shove it in my colony's storage, lol. What do?

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How difficult is it to find a Paragon/Doom?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 11:37:08 PM »

You can generally get them easily with a commission and high reputation with Tri-tachyon at Culann, if you don't mind grinding and being hostile with a few other factions for a while.  May take a refresh or two, but I feel like they're relatively likely to show up in the military ship tab.  They will also cost less than the illegal arms dealer.

If you only have 1.1 million credits, I wouldn't spend it all on the Paragon right now, as you won't have enough left over to fit it properly and might have supply/fuel issues.  Unless you are already dealing with capital tier logistics.

coffeeaddict

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 12:23:13 AM »

I'm still pretty new currently have a size 3 colony, 125% hazard colony with -1 ore production, +2 organics, and -25% hazard/+2 pop. growth.
Also about industries, mining produces ores and organics at the same time, right? I wasn't reading it properly but I built a farm instead of a mining industry...oops lol

EDIT: The star system isn't that great either, only 1 planet, a mining station, and a stable loc, so I'm not sure if it's worth building an orbital station and adding a beta core. It's been attacked twice while I was away.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 12:28:11 AM by coffeeaddict »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 05:57:25 AM »

I'm still pretty new currently have a size 3 colony, 125% hazard colony with -1 ore production, +2 organics, and -25% hazard/+2 pop. growth.
Also about industries, mining produces ores and organics at the same time, right? I wasn't reading it properly but I built a farm instead of a mining industry...oops lol

EDIT: The star system isn't that great either, only 1 planet, a mining station, and a stable loc, so I'm not sure if it's worth building an orbital station and adding a beta core. It's been attacked twice while I was away.
At size 3, the only ones attacking are small party of pirates.  An orbital station and ground defenses should be enough the protect the colony from smaller raiding parties.

Once it reaches size 4, major factions may join in on the raiding, and you may need stronger defenses to stop them without your fleet's intervention.

As for the topic, you can raid for blueprints, although Culann (for Paragon) is one of the tougher ones to crack.  New Maxios has all (standard) phase ships, and it is the softest target (no patrols, low defenses) to raid for blueprints.

coffeeaddict

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 11:11:48 AM »

For a size 4 colony and if I didn't want to intervene, which orbital station should I go for?

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 11:36:18 AM »

which orbital station should I go for?
What, lowtech/midline/hightech?

I don't think it matters much. They've technically different weapons layouts, but you're not likely to be fighting alongside them often, and I think they all count the same for off-screen battle resolution.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 01:06:50 PM »

The most reliable way to access any ship/weapon/fighter (barring Omega weapons) is to spend the early-mid game as an explorer, combing over every system for research stations where you're most likely to find blueprints. Two tips regarding research stations, they often appear in black hole systems orbiting the black hole, and you should always salvage the remains of the station right after looting it because you can still find some good stuff.

After you're satisfied with the blueprints you've accumulated, discovered some worlds that would make for good colonies, and have a fleet that can fend off raiders, found your own faction and create an industrial world optimized for custom production.

But managing an empire is a pain. It's a whole bunch of errand-running and babysitting, and it's very expensive and time-consuming to get up and running. If you just want to focus on combat then do as others have already suggested, get a Tri Tachyon commission and wait for the Paragon/Doom to show up in the ship sales at Culann. There also might be a chance for a bar contact there to offer you one, but I'm not sure what determines the ships offered by bar contacts.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 02:13:02 PM »

Battlestation types only matter for fighting in colony defense battles personally.  If does not matter much if any for autoresolved fights.

The most reliable way to access any ship/weapon/fighter (barring Omega weapons) is to spend the early-mid game as an explorer, combing over every system for research stations where you're most likely to find blueprints. Two tips regarding research stations, they often appear in black hole systems orbiting the black hole, and you should always salvage the remains of the station right after looting it because you can still find some good stuff.
This is good for finding blueprint packs before raiding for the rarer blueprints that are not in packs.

Raiding for blueprints before finding the tech and missile packs will yield a lot of junk or common types for blueprints, since blueprint drops highly favor unknown types.

Aside from black holes, research stations also frequently appear in neutron star systems that fire pulsar beams.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:14:38 PM by Megas »

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 12:20:37 PM »

It's honestly kind of potluck.  I've started a new run before and within 20 minutes I salvaged a ship that turned out to be a paragon.  Other times they're simply nowhere to be found until Tri-Tachyon gets REALLY *** off.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 04:03:33 AM »

Doom is used by Diktat, League, Independents and Tri-Tachyon, even if TT uses them the most.