Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Minimal micromangement AI fleet using mostly Prometheus MK2  (Read 751 times)

Candypowers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Minimal micromangement AI fleet using mostly Prometheus MK2
« on: November 15, 2022, 09:47:29 AM »

Youtube link

No, this isn't your usual optimal long range kiting Eradicator fleet or Safety Overrides frigate spam. ECM/range be damned, these slow & heavy tanks were built for a good ol' fashioned up-close and personal slugfest.

You probably need just 2 moves/2 command points. One to assign all Prometheus ships to attack the Radiant. And then after Radiant is dead, use the defend command on 2 of the Prometheus ships and assign frigates to the Search and Destroy role. You can also additionally assign the search and destroy role to the 2 ships that had the defend command.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 11:01:40 PM by Candypowers »

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Minimal micromangement AI fleet using mostly Prometheus MK2
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 09:14:08 PM »

Very nice thematic fleet! How did you go about finding the layout?

Interestingly, from the Conquest math thread, it seems that if your choices are Hellbore, Mark IX, Storm Needler or Hephaestus, then Locust - Storm Needler - Hephaestus gives the best time to kill vs. Remnants out of all combinations.

Of course, that was for Conquest layouts. Still.
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Candypowers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Minimal micromangement AI fleet using mostly Prometheus MK2
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 11:48:22 PM »

Very nice thematic fleet! How did you go about finding the layout?

Interestingly, from the Conquest math thread, it seems that if your choices are Hellbore, Mark IX, Storm Needler or Hephaestus, then Locust - Storm Needler - Hephaestus gives the best time to kill vs. Remnants out of all combinations.

Of course, that was for Conquest layouts. Still.

Oh that’s interesting to know! But basically I arrived at this layout through just a bunch of trial and error. I knew that I needed to devote the medium mounts to dual flak if these ships were to go in guns blazing otherwise a point-blank reaper or bomb cluster can too easily cripple it. so that just leaves 2 large mounts to do the bulk of the damage. Turn speed of the weapons is also a thing to consider since gettting surrounded or trying to kill the smaller ships can be a pain with slower turning and slpw firerate guns. Also some weapons are more likely to not fire at all when there’s an allied ship nearby. Storm needler and hephastus are one of the few options that ticks alot of those boxes, even if it’s low damage per shot, so that’s what i went with. But besides the hephaestus, I found swapping it out for devastator cannon with a reckless officer can also work! Though still testing it out.

The planet in this remnant system has my colony on it where i stashed a bunch of weapons. I can conveniently swap builds, repair, and hide in the asteroid belt. This makes it so I can test things more conveniently as well as farm ai cores.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 12:43:00 AM by Candypowers »