Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gryphon AI range finding issue?  (Read 679 times)

AppleSpice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Gryphon AI range finding issue?
« on: November 14, 2022, 10:48:32 AM »

I just started playing this game a few weeks ago, but there are some weird behavior with the Gryphon when loading it with any ballistic weapons the Ai will favor going into the range of the ballistic weapons even if there are only vulcans. I specifically loaded a Gryphon with max range missiles (squall MLRS, medium and small harpoons), but the AI would always charge into the range of its ballistic weapons even though its main weapons severely out ranged the enemy. When I removed all of the ballistic weapons and only used the missiles the AI then maintained optimal range.

I do understand that some players use pd weapons as main weapons so that would be the reason for AI to get into range, but in this case or maybe this is the case with all missile focused ships is that the AI heavily favors maintaining energy and ballistic weapon range over missile range. I do not know if the AI considers which weapons are intended to be used as main weapons, if it does then this can be adjusted for missile based main weapon ships.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Gryphon AI range finding issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 10:54:26 AM »

What was the personality of the officer inside?
Please don't take me too seriously.

AppleSpice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 11:00:07 AM »

I specifically tested it with no officer, so this is the base behavior of the ship. I mainly do battles with only AI, so I try to design all my ships to be some what affective even with no officers in them.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »

Base behavior of the ship is still set by your combat doctrine (the setting that determines what officer types get put in your colony fleets also controls unofficered ship behavior). By default it's steady IIRC. I also vaguely remember there being something funky with the simulator (maybe not using that setting), but I'm not 100% sure.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 12:39:06 PM »

This has nothing to do with an officer. There are 2 factors at play here:
1) AI doesn't consider missile weapons when choosing optimal engagement range.
2) A ship only equipped with PD weapons considers them their main armament.
This means that a ship with only missiles and PD weapons will try to close in and engage with PD weapons. A ship with only missiles and no PD weapons will act timid.
You can alleviate the issue somewhat by using a timid officer, but it's not ideal. Better to just give the Gryphon a HVD and ITU. Plenty of OP for that.

AppleSpice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 01:10:16 PM »

Using HVD and ITU is ok, but you lose a lot of op for capacitors and vents. if you want to make sure the Ai never overflux with the small amount of capacity that gryphon has you would have to remove all the small missile slots for capacitors and vents. It just doesn't feel great having to be forced to build a certain way for the ship to behave the way it is supposedly intended to.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 10:16:35 PM »

Amoebka is right, and Gryphon is not the only victim of this - Buffalo Mk. II is another excellent example; and in this case you cannot simply use a long range medium weapon to force it to stay away.

I wonder if giving every ship equipped only with PD/missiles the carrier AI would help with this issue.

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 04:51:57 AM »

You can alleviate the issue somewhat by using a timid officer, but it's not ideal. Better to just give the Gryphon a HVD and ITU. Plenty of OP for that.
HVD send your ship into range 1000 while rockets have 2500. Not good solution.
On top, by
using HVD and ITU you lose a lot of OP for capacitors and vents. if you want to make sure the Ai never overflux
Install a fighter bay hullmod and add a defense drone (minining drone, xyphose, etc.) You need to keep flux down because when rocket forge activates it swallow most your buffer. In case buffer is not empty (ready) then Rocket forge do not activates so your ship turns into sitting duck.

Also, make sure your pilot has skill Rockets (best improved by Elite level), Dmg. Analyze (rocket salvo basically disable enemy systems and weapons), Ship Systems skill (it adds another usage of Griphone's Rocket forge)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 05:08:27 AM by gG_pilot »

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 05:07:25 AM »

I wonder if giving every ship equipped only with PD/missiles the carrier AI would help with this issue.
The solution to erratic AI behavior,   I think that player should select The Ship's Main Weapon, (the weapon setting dialog in dock)  then AI will use this particular weapon as reference for optimal range.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 06:01:52 AM by gG_pilot »

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 01:20:47 PM »

Gryphon is not the only victim of this - Buffalo Mk. II is another excellent example; and in this case you cannot simply use a long range medium weapon to force it to stay away
You can give it a tac laser with ITU at least. You can force timid in faction doctrine, but then you need officers in all actual combat ships, which is not doable at the stage where you want to use Buffalo mk2.