Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [Ill-Defined UI State] Omission of Flagship Deployment Leaves Players Stranded  (Read 393 times)

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hi Alex.

Deciding not to deploy the previously selected flagship, or forgetting to deploy it, causes an ill-defined UI state with the camera floating in the middle of nowhere, which is extremely confusing particularly to new players and ugly in general.
You can observe the acuteness of this problem in this segment of CohhCarnage's stream.

I don't want to remind about this in order to nag but rather as an indication that it is a truly bothersome to players like me: For example I have already reported on this issue in 2019

Thanks for getting this fixed.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi - this definitely isn't a bug, but I think it's a good idea, thank you! Made a note; I think the most straightforward thing to do would be to add a message explaining what's going on; maybe something along the lines of the "press enter to retreat" message, hmm. I'll take a look!

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile

Thanks!

The state already has the command shuttle activated in the UI.
In my opinion, the most elegant solution would be to make the permanently phased command shuttle pilotable and allow command transfer with the ship system.

It would be a much more intuitive way to control the camera in case the player genuinely doesn't intend to command a ship and to perform a command transfer without the (hard to deceiver) command screen buttons.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 09:41:59 AM by sqrt(-1) »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

In fact, it would be a good idea in some combat tutorial to force start the player without a designed flagship, then make them select a ship and transfer to it.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile

In fact, it would be a good idea in some combat tutorial to force start the player without a designed flagship, then make them select a ship and transfer to it.

The 3rd combat tutorial from the main menu, labeled fleet command, starts you without a flagship and tells you to select a ship and press X to transfer your command to it halfway through.  So this is already implemented.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The 3rd combat tutorial from the main menu, labeled fleet command, starts you without a flagship and tells you to select a ship and press X to transfer your command to it halfway through.  So this is already implemented.
Oh, my bad. I haven't played it in quite a while.