Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: More "Sim" like Sci Fi space fleet games?  (Read 1588 times)

coolio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
More "Sim" like Sci Fi space fleet games?
« on: November 07, 2022, 10:13:42 PM »

I think we can agree Starsector leans more into arcade then sim, hope I am putting that right. Looking for a game where you are more involved in the managment of your fleet and crew. Starcom seems to be similar to what Im talking about but I havent played it. What else?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More "Sim" like Sci Fi space fleet games?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 04:30:48 AM »

X4 is a fleet and station management game in the guise of an open world space shooter.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 10:15:09 AM »

I think we can agree Starsector leans more into arcade then sim, hope I am putting that right. Looking for a game where you are more involved in the managment of your fleet and crew. Starcom seems to be similar to what Im talking about but I havent played it. What else?
Starcom is even more arcade like than starsector. Your crew is basically another life bar to worry about, especially during events. But getting them is as easy as going back to your home base. No resources needed to refill them.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 12:34:13 PM »

Not sure if it's the kind of 'sim' aspect that you're looking for, but I've been having fun with Cosmoteer.

Designing ships is interesting enough, though there isn't yet a great deal of strategy to the combat, and the campaign layer is about where Starsector was ~10 years ago.

There's a (feature limited) demo on Steam, and a much older feature complete 'classic' version that can be downloaded from the website.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 02:10:54 PM »

There's Battlecruiser/Universal Combat if you dare. It's still bugged to hell but there's a nugget of fun in there somewhere.

Space Haven is another title I made a thread about somewhere around here, it's like a hybrid of FTL and X-Com with spaceship building and crew sim. Currently the endgame's a little thin but the game is heaps fun.

Between the Stars looks good, I haven't played it yet. Star Traders: Frontiers, same thing. The latter is less sim and more RPG I think.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 07:33:07 PM »

starship corporation is deep sim starship design. i thought it was cool, if limited -- very tech demo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/292330/Starship_Corporation/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 02:26:32 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 06:10:58 AM »

There are two games that come to mind where crew are a bit more than just a statistic:
-Between the Stars
-Star Traders: Frontiers

Both are available on Steam, and I've enjoyed them very much in Early Access. Been meaning to revisit them.