Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.95.1a-RC6][WIP] UNSC Strikecraft - a UNSC minimod  (Read 9709 times)

Derelict_Surveyor

• Ensign
  • Life is a highway
    • View Profile
[0.95.1a-RC6][WIP] UNSC Strikecraft - a UNSC minimod
« on: October 27, 2022, 12:56:29 PM »

UNSC Strikecraft - a minimod companion for the UNSC mod
Get the mod here!
Requires AppleMarineXX's UNSC mod
Requires shoi's Arma Armature mod (for now)

My first mod to Starsector, and its basically a minimod companion to an already existing mod. But we all start somewhere, eh?

Anyway, this minimod adds two strikecraft to AppleMarineXX's UNSC mod to round out the roster - the venerable Pelican dropship and the ponderous Vulture gunship. Do note that, much like AppleMarineXX, I'm not really skilled at spriting in general so these sprites are basic edits to rendered images of the 3D source models. So they might look a bit crappy but they serve their purpose.

The dropship and gunship duo
Two chunky bois they are.

D-77 Tactical Aerospace Lifter "Pelican" (lower left)
A venerable workhorse of the UNSC's logistical network, its ability to carry munitions on the wings make it a somewhat viable strikecraft in a pinch.

AC-220 Gunship "Vulture" (upper right)
A intimidating brick castle of titanium, guns, and missiles the Vulture was designed to support ground forces, particularly in sieges and combat against heavy armor elements. Given the circumstance of the UNSC, however, the Vulture now find itself providing considerable firepower for the UNSC's logistical and patrol fleets.
[close]
In addition to the Pelican and the Vulture, they come with their own built-in weapons which includes missiles (custom sprites for those as well).

The built-in weapons (no sprites)
M370 Autocannon
The Pelican's mounted nose gun. Comes with an impressive 120-degree angle of fire.

ANVIL-II Missiles
The Pelican's integrated air to ground missiles that are perfectly capable of shearing armor off space ships.

GAU-24 Rotary Autocannons
High-explosive with a frightening rate of fire, the Vulture mounts two of these tri-barrelled autocannons in two underside turrets.

A-74 Sylver Vertical Missile Launch System
A defining characteristic of the Vulture, the A-74 Sylver VML system fires bursts of four ANVIL-IV missiles, the more potent but slower brother of the ANVIL-II.

Argent V Missile Turret
Also called the ASGM-2, the Argent V missiles are the UNSC's premiere anti-aircraft and general-purpose guided missiles. Used for everything.
[close]
The missile sprites
From left to right: the ANVIL-II, the ASGM-10, ANVIL-IV, and the ASGM-2
[close]

These two also can provide ground support via StarSector's native ground support hullmods, though I may replace those with less effective versions if they prove too effective.

I've also made pilotable versions of the Pelican and Vulture, in addition to SpaceMarineXX's Longsword and Sabre strikecraft. So if you ever wanted to pilot these things yourself, you have the choice to do so! Will make a non-Arma Armature version at some point.

Preview GIFs
[close]

Credits
  • SpaceMarineXX for making the awesome UNSC mod.
  • shoi for his Arma Armature mod, which inspired me to make this thing.
  • Fractal Softworks for developing this gem of an indie title and making it easy to mod.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 01:29:22 PM by Derelict_Surveyor »

V_KJ

• Ensign
  • Coffee tastes great, wdym?
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a-RC6][WIP] UNSC Strikecraft - a UNSC minimod
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 10:09:22 AM »

Always did wonder why the gunships were left out from the main mod. Thanks for this one, hopefully he updates it with weapons, especially the SHIVA missiles.
"How do you code in a Macbook?"

Derelict_Surveyor

• Ensign
  • Life is a highway
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a-RC6][WIP] UNSC Strikecraft - a UNSC minimod
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 06:47:30 PM »

Always did wonder why the gunships were left out from the main mod. Thanks for this one, hopefully he updates it with weapons, especially the SHIVA missiles.

From what AppleMarine told me on the Discord, he's quite busy with life to the point that he can't find the time to work on it. It'll probably be a bit before he can find the time and motivation to work on it. For now, I'm mostly just testing basic mod stuff by using his mod as a stepping stone. I'm actually working on a proper Halberd sprite, although it still uses a 3D model as a base.