Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Does the game deactivate itself if you don't play for a long time?  (Read 642 times)

SteelHeart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

So I have a copy of Starsector on my home computer and my laptop. I think the last time I played it on my laptop was quite literally more than a year ago, and I know I had it activated then. The thing is that now it wants the key again for my laptop copy. Is it supposed to do that?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Does the game deactivate itself if you don't play for a long time?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 04:43:26 PM »

So I have a copy of Starsector on my home computer and my laptop. I think the last time I played it on my laptop was quite literally more than a year ago, and I know I had it activated then. The thing is that now it wants the key again for my laptop copy. Is it supposed to do that?
The CD key is an offline, registry kept key. So maybe you used a too aggressive PC cleaner program? Orrrrr it might be a sign that your drive is possibly failing and is damaging your registry as a result. Of course this is if you are a windows user
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SteelHeart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 04:59:36 PM »

I haven't cleaned this PC in a long while and it is about 6 years old with SSD that's almost full. I guess it is a possibility that the drive might finally be starting to die. I'm planning on sticking an extra stick of ram in it soon so I'll probably get it a  new drive when that happens. Shame the processor is directly integrated into the motherboard or I'd get a new one as well.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 05:07:28 PM »

I haven't cleaned this PC in a long while and it is about 6 years old with SSD that's almost full. I guess it is a possibility that the drive might finally be starting to die. I'm planning on sticking an extra stick of ram in it soon so I'll probably get it a  new drive when that happens. Shame the processor is directly integrated into the motherboard or I'd get a new one as well.
Oh yeah, if the drive is that old and almost full, I'd back it up ASAP! Also, SSDs should never be full as it wears them out really quickly IIRC
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Flet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 05:59:02 AM »

Last time i played again i had to re-enter the key as well