Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Bigger, better, raids  (Read 516 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Bigger, better, raids
« on: October 20, 2022, 08:29:32 AM »

Currently you can raid a planet daily, but you pick up a pittance.
This leads to a situation where you sit in orbit doing nothing, just to maximise your profit from the opening you created, and inevitably causes the planet to collapse from lack of stability.

But what if it wasn't like that. What if we actually raided the Refineries, rather than the figurative break room fridge?

My suggestion is to up the cooldown to a full lunar month, and increase the loot you gain correspondingly. It will feel like you're actually raiding a planet's industrial sectors, it prevents accidental decivs, and it removes the downtime of sitting in orbit waiting for a day to pass.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger, better, raids
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 01:08:51 PM »

I'd second this suggestion, assuming that the amount of troops needed were upped accordingly too.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger, better, raids
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 05:37:22 PM »

I'd second this suggestion, assuming that the amount of troops needed were upped accordingly too.
Not if it makes raiding for blueprints or other rare items too hard or impossible to do.

I already need about 2000 marines and about ten Phantoms to raid a big world (Culann, Kazeron, or Sindria) for blueprints or other items.  (I do not want to tac bomb their world to take out their military buildings if I am not hostile with them.)

Currently you can raid a planet daily, but you pick up a pittance.
This leads to a situation where you sit in orbit doing nothing, just to maximise your profit from the opening you created, and inevitably causes the planet to collapse from lack of stability.

But what if it wasn't like that. What if we actually raided the Refineries, rather than the figurative break room fridge?

My suggestion is to up the cooldown to a full lunar month, and increase the loot you gain correspondingly. It will feel like you're actually raiding a planet's industrial sectors, it prevents accidental decivs, and it removes the downtime of sitting in orbit waiting for a day to pass.
That would make pop-up bases that the player will kill immediately after the raid (to get bounty reward or remove pirate activity) much more rewarding like they used to be in early 0.9a.