Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Food Comsumables.  (Read 716 times)

alexwtb234

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Food Comsumables.
« on: October 18, 2022, 10:14:33 AM »

Food comsumables:

Food, is absolutely useless right now, a total burden, an storage annoyance ...

BUT WHAT IF.

Food could be turned into consumables that enhance your crew's performance and reduces their salary depending on how satisfied they are with their life conditions onboard.

Examples:

Well prepared meals: coversion rate 2 food for each crew member, , 10 % faster repair time on ships for 10 days, 5%+ peak performance time, 5% more salvage.(doesnt stack)
Desc:

Well prepared , hot served meals , hey! it actually tastes like real food!

Delicious Meals:

6 units of food for each crew member , 20 % faster repair time on ships for 10 days, 10%+ peak performance time, reduces this month crew payment by 20%, does not stack, 10% more salvage (doesnt stack)

Desc:

You have put enough care and love in your crew for them to consider living on the ship, as they are having a comfortable life in your vessel.

Special: if with comissioned crew mod, you will gain 1 + rep with the comissioned faction.

Luxurious Meals:

1 vulturnian lobster and 20 units of food per crew and officers, 35 % faster repair time on ships, 15%+ peak performance time for 15 days, crew payment cost cut by half for two months,20% more salvage (doesnt stack)

Special: Officers will gain 20% more exp for 15 days after eating this meal

Special: Rep gain with comissioned crew faction by 2.

Desc:

its probably the first time your crew has seen a lobster in their plates instead of the cargo holds.

Just a few examples, i think the idea of food items is neat, and makes food an actually useful commodity

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 10:16:53 AM by alexwtb234 »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Food Comsumables.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 11:57:01 PM »

All I see here is micromanagement that there's a punishment for not wanting to do.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »

Was going to suggest a cut in supply use because you are feeding your crew with food instead of supplies but then i don't see the point of bringing food anyways
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 11:50:28 AM »

I'd rather see all the commodities get unique gameplay interactions of their own than become Supplies and Other Supplies to no benefit in actual fun.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 01:47:03 PM »

I'd rather see all the commodities get unique gameplay interactions of their own than become Supplies and Other Supplies to no benefit in actual fun.
Using organs to "reverse" crew casualties? A lobster shipment to improve colony stability?

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 02:43:15 PM »

Using organs to "reverse" crew casualties? A lobster shipment to improve colony stability?
Hmm. If I were designing mechanics for stuff like this, I'd treat it like an alternative to story points - IE, you could spend a story point to revive an otherwise unrecoverable officer, or you could spend 1-3 units of Harvested Organs and/or Recreational Drugs.

Comparable interactions with something like Metals or Food might consume a larger, sliding-scale amount (expedite repairs by spending 100 Metals...) of the commodity.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 12:32:55 PM »

Hmm. If I were designing mechanics for stuff like this, I'd treat it like an alternative to story points - IE, you could spend a story point to revive an otherwise unrecoverable officer, or you could spend 1-3 units of Harvested Organs and/or Recreational Drugs.

Comparable interactions with something like Metals or Food might consume a larger, sliding-scale amount (expedite repairs by spending 100 Metals...) of the commodity.
Dunno maybe it would be more fitting for you to be able to use recreational drugs on your marines during raids. Might bring interesting results albeit it being a bit risky.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 06:08:47 PM »

Sure, what the interaction is doesn't matter. The point is to have something that doesn't just split Supplies apart into a shopping list that takes more time to fill but ticks down the same way.