Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cruiser-class ship with a built-in fighter bay  (Read 1484 times)

FreonRu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Cruiser-class ship with a built-in fighter bay
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2022, 12:06:18 PM »

Thank you very much for the answers, I did not expect such a discussion in this thread.  Prometheus Mk 2 fits the description - two built-in bays for fighters, 30 points for deployment.  Now it will seem to many that I am nitpicking ... but let's add a little lore component - Prometheus Mk 2 is a rough alteration of an excellent tanker - it was designed for a specific purpose - to carry fuel.  In my opinion, such an alteration was forced due to a shortage of ships in the game world, and the result is obvious - the performance of the ship is far from the combat characteristics of ships designed specifically for combat purposes. 

I am sure that the engineers in the game world thought about the fact that cruisers also need support - interceptors in the hangar would fit this role just fine.  Before the Odyssey, the engineers of the game world somehow thought of it - this is an excellent ship that combines the ability to attack on its own and support with fighters / interceptors.  To simplify completely, I hope to find a ship very similar in essence to the Odyssey, only in the "cruiser" class.

FullMetalPoitato

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2022, 09:48:11 AM »

If you really REALLY want a bunch of Cruiser class ships with fighter bays you might enjoy the Diable Avionics faction mod.  As far as I know, every single ship they have that is theoretically capable of having a fighter bay has 1 or more installed.

They also have a unique type of fighter called Wanzers? I believe.  They're pretty much Gundams.  They're flavorful, if not necessarily any better or stronger pound for pound than a good carrier line up.

I did a Diable Avionics faction playthrough pretty recently where I maintained a commission with them and tried to use their ships, fighters and weapons as much as possible and it was pretty fun.  Lot's of fighter/Wanzer spam.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2022, 01:38:51 AM »

One issue with combat ship + minor hangar type of arrangement is that AI is going to absolutely butcher it's zero flux boost by letting fighters Engage at inappropriate times. Unless you use bound fighters, but then there is pretty much no choice - Xyphos or Mining pods.

vok3

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2022, 05:44:50 PM »

What's wrong with pirate Falcons?  Yes, you have to stick a converted bay on there instead of having it be the default loadout, but that is what the pirates all do with theirs, and the result is pretty close to what the poster is asking for.

Also pirate Falcons can generally pick fights and disengage at will, which means you don't need to worry too much about them.  You don't need to load them up with missiles either - IIRC when I first got a few I put 2 Arbalests / 2 IRs / 2 Salamanders /  2 Harpoon pods on and they handled all sorts of situations very nicely.
Pages: 1 [2]