Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cruiser-class ship with a built-in fighter bay  (Read 2244 times)

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
Cruiser-class ship with a built-in fighter bay
« on: October 18, 2022, 09:43:05 AM »

Colleagues admirals and captains. I ask for advice.

Now I observe approximately the following division of cruisers (20-30 deployment points):
1 full-fledged aircraft carrier (for example - Mora / Heron);
2 Strike cruiser (for example - Aurora / Eagle).

Is there a cruiser-class ship with a built-in fighter bay? Those. use fighters not as the main weapon, namely as support? Ventura doesn't fit - it's a civilian transporter.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Cruiser-class ship with a built-in fighter bay
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 09:58:24 AM »

Is there a cruiser-class ship with a built-in fighter bay?
The Brilliant, at least until next patch.

That's pretty much it, unless you're willing to be "flexible" on the definition of cruiser - the Prometheus Mk.II has a pair of fighter bays.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 10:50:51 AM »

Not really what you are asking for, but slap a Converted Hangar on a Falcon or a Dominator and you might get just what you need. Both utilize interceptors pretty well to complement their main weapons.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 11:29:37 AM »

Well, for vanilla, there's the Odyssey which is a battlecruiser... not, uh, technically a cruiser per se, but they're not terrible as player ships.

If you're willing to dig into mods, though, I'd suggest looking at the ORA's Elevation-class cruiser; it's a fast, high-tech style hull that has a single fighter bay and plays like an up-gunned Fury.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 12:01:10 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 11:53:35 AM »

To be honest, this topic for discussion just appeared because of Odysseus.  It has enough of its own firepower to act as an attack ship, but a couple of fighter bays allow you to slightly improve the fight against fast targets or put a couple of interceptors that will annihilate all incoming missiles and enemy fighters.  But the cost of deploying Odysseus is high and losing him in combat is only a matter of time.  Therefore, I am looking for a strike cruiser with a compartment for fighters, so that instead of one ship for 45 deployment units, I can set up two ships for 22 deployment units.  Two ships independently of each other will be able to work more smoothly than one huge / expensive ship.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 12:02:04 PM »

I’ve said the Eagle is a prime candidate but after trying out in a self-modded game, it doesn’t add a whole lot. Or should I say, it doesn’t solve the Eagle’s primary problems.

An Aurora with a fighter bay? That’s a little more interesting, considering it sort of underperforms in the hands of the AI for its DP cost. Xyphos or even Broadswords would be really strong on a nimble ship. Although a pair of Terminator Drones wouldn’t be bad either (no Termination Sequence!)

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 12:03:52 PM »

It has enough of its own firepower to act as an attack ship, but a couple of fighter bays allow you to slightly improve the fight against fast targets or put a couple of interceptors that will annihilate all incoming missiles and enemy fighters.  But the cost of deploying Odysseus is high and losing him in combat is only a matter of time.
Hmm. I suspect you're not using the Odyssey very well if you're losing them in fights - are you piloting them yourself, or leaving them under AI control?

In any case, the closest to what you want is probably the Prometheus Mk.II - it's cheaper than the Odyssey, while it has notably worse shields it has much better hull and armor, and unlike the Odyssey it's not so much a skirmishing vessel that needs to know when to get back out of dodge as a hammer to draw fire and pound things. And they're not nearly as rare as the Odyssey, so getting another after losing one isn't a huge deal.

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 12:08:32 PM »

It has enough of its own firepower to act as an attack ship, but a couple of fighter bays allow you to slightly improve the fight against fast targets or put a couple of interceptors that will annihilate all incoming missiles and enemy fighters.  But the cost of deploying Odysseus is high and losing him in combat is only a matter of time.
Hmm. I suspect you're not using the Odyssey very well if you're losing them in fights - are you piloting them yourself, or leaving them under AI control?

My piloting skills are extremely poor.  Therefore, I prefer to play the Admiral of the Fleet who instructs his officers to "deal with the problem."  I agree that this is not the best way to play the Starsector, but one of the possible ones.

Is there a cruiser-class ship with a built-in fighter bay?
The Brilliant, at least until next patch.

Brilliant is a good choice, but due to the fact that it can only be used with AI cores, a lot of them in the fleet cannot be used.  The corresponding skill does not allow you to have a whole fleet of Brilliants, although I would very much like to try it out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 12:17:14 PM by FreonRu »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2022, 03:14:27 PM »

Brilliant cannot use fighters that are not automated.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 10:54:18 AM »

A shame that there is barely any automated fighters
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 10:57:40 AM »

Isn't there, like, 6 or 7? If you also include the poxy bomber.

Or if you mean strictly fighter craft drones at which point I think there is only the one remnant one yes.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 11:10:29 AM »

The only automated fighters are Mining Pods, Wasps, and the three Remnant fighters.  Mining Pods are nothing but meat shields.  Wasps are weaker Sparks that are so fragile that they spontaneously explode for no reason and drain rate.  Sparks are weak now, their nerfed burst PD are more like blue PD Laser instead of the real thing.  (The only thing going for Sparks is they are not as fragile as Wasps and do not die suddenly and unexpectedly.)  Lux are okay, but they are slightly expensive and slow to regenerate - I probably prefer Broadswords to Lux.  Flash, like Pirahna, are a friendly-fire accident waiting to happen.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 10:47:37 PM »

Wasps are the best interceptors in the game. 5 OP and they can blow up any other wing. Sure they'll also blow up themselves but who cares? No crew and 5 second replacement rate.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 11:41:40 PM »

Yeah I'm team Wasp. Even if just for vaporising enemies with their proxy bombs.

6 free PD lasers are pretty good.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Candypowers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2022, 11:40:26 AM »

For 20-30 deployment points, your best bet is a prometheus mk2. It’s a capital, but same 30 Dp cost as an aurora and comes with 2 fighter bays. Extremely cheap and effective for what it brings to the table.
Pages: [1] 2