Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can we please have a "ban" option for blueprints  (Read 1342 times)

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
Can we please have a "ban" option for blueprints
« on: October 17, 2022, 07:54:32 AM »

Can we have the option to (in game) set certain blueprints players know act like if not? For example, if I don't want colossi appearing in my faction's fleet, I would greatly appreciate it if I can "reverse-priorities" colossus in the doctrine menu and my industry stops producing them. Because I often find ships that I don't like that much, usually civilian ships, appearing in my faction's fleet, but prioritizing their counterparts will end up having too many counterpart ships.

This mechanism may also be applied to other factions, say if TT knows the blueprints of Phantom and Revenant, but does not make them anymore due to some political reasons.
The political reason:
Spoiler
Hegemony
[close]

Although phantoms and revenants does not appear in normal TT fleets, player can still raid TT to get these blueprints.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Can we please have a "ban" option for blueprints
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 09:05:33 AM »

Has been suggested dozens of times, Alex doesn't see the need to add such a feature.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 09:27:01 AM »

Player: "Look, I've been to every corner of the sector and learned basically every blueprint it is possible to learn, could you just stop building Buffaloes please?"

Shipyard Admin: "lmao. No."

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 09:44:41 AM »

Player: "Look, I've been to every corner of the sector and learned basically every blueprint it is possible to learn, could you just stop building Buffaloes please?"

I tend to imagine it is more like:
Shipyard Admin: "Well which cargo ship do you want instead of a Buffalo?  You can't build a fleet without any logistics ships. Hyperions don't repair themselves."

Now as players we both know NPC fleets ignore actual supplies and fuel, but the rest of the NPCs (and their fleet compositions) don't.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 10:08:58 AM »

It is possible to build only the ships you want, as long as there is a priority for each type of ship the game looks for, but the process is ridiculously arcane, and information is lacking.  Some ships qualify for multiple categories even if only one is listed (like Gemini qualifying as both carrier and freighter).

There should totally be a blacklist option to mark ships and prevent them from being built, instead of an aggravating trial-and-error process trying to figure out what the game wants.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 10:52:26 AM »

Shipyard Admin: "Well which cargo ship do you want instead of a Buffalo?  You can't build a fleet without any logistics ships. Hyperions don't repair themselves."

Player: ...
          "Dude, you filled half a patrol with converted Buffaloes, they don't have any cargo space what the f...udge are you talking about? Can you just stop doing that and use one of the dozens of actual combat ship prints I got you."

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 11:56:22 AM »

I just want to be able to set the combat/carriers/phase values to 0, rather than just 1.
Why do my fleets require some degree of phase or carrier?

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 12:11:31 PM »

"Dude, you filled half a patrol with converted Buffaloes, they don't have any cargo space what the f...udge are you talking about? Can you just stop doing that and use one of the dozens of actual combat ship prints I got you."

Fair point.

I guess I'm always thinking if we do get a ban option that actually 100% works, first thing I'm doing is banning all the civilian logistics ships since they slow the NPC fleets down while not actually caring about supplies or fuel.  This is a distinct practical benefit of implementing a working ban.  Well, first thing after trying to ban all ships and see if my fleets come out empty or the game crashes or if Alex prevents you from selecting all ships to be banned.  I'm probably the type of person that means we can't have nice things. :)

But yeah, I do think about basic Buffalos in my prioritize lists (since you always have it as a logistics option and got to pick something), but tend not to worry about the Buffalo Mk II type combat ships.  I suppose prioritizing 1-2 good ships of each class and size (i.e. Scarab, Hammerhead) means in practice I don't typically think about Buffalo Mk II destroyers at all (or the host of sub-optimal pirate frigates).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 12:22:26 PM »

I just want to be able to set the combat/carriers/phase values to 0, rather than just 1.
Why do my fleets require some degree of phase or carrier?

(From player.faction, in the factionDoctrine section:

"strictComposition":true, # warships/carriers/phase at 1 will be treated as 0, also no random factor

Not 100% sure if this is in the currently-out build or not, it might be an in-dev thing. Pretty sure the actual setting works in the current build, though, so you could add it to yours and it *should* work!)

Asmodium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 06:01:22 PM »

don't really need a ban Button just have to accept that even if you where in charge a of a real planet people would do their own thing due to being poor or lack of ships

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 10:01:22 PM »

Not 100% sure if this is in the currently-out build or not, it might be an in-dev thing.

You did say previously it's in dev :) Can't wait to NOT have a bunch of Gremlins in my fleets.

On a side note, stations do not obey the weapon prioritize settings(but do obey fighter prioritize settings), dunno if WAD.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 11:19:42 PM »

If it helps any, don't think of this as a request for a "ban this ship" option.
Think of it instead as a "de-prioritise this ship" option - the opposite to what is already in place.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 01:06:34 PM »

Player: "FINE. We prioritize Gemini."

Shipyard Admin: "Now we' talking."

Outcome fleet: half of the fleet is Gemini

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 04:14:21 PM »

I do wish there was more control over it, but honestly even if you use Nex it probably won't matter much anyway.

Since you need logistics ships anyway, I tend to prioritize just one ship, so my fleets would only have Buffalo and no colossi, or the rare Shade and no more Gremlins. I got warships maxed and prioritized a cruiser as a carrier and I pretty much never see them. Not sure if picking a larger ship affected it at all though...

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 12:22:37 PM »

On a side note, stations do not obey the weapon prioritize settings(but do obey fighter prioritize settings), dunno if WAD.
Stations got their outfits fixed once construction is complete and do not update weapons and wings unless destroyed and reconstructed. You might say they only obey the settings at the exact moment of construction.
Pages: [1] 2