Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Offensive shields  (Read 9375 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Offensive shields
« on: July 08, 2011, 06:16:56 AM »

A two part suggestion:

1) That an AI ship consider using its shields offensively if they have enough reach, it is fast enough, and the shields have a high enough efficiency OR it is completely out of ammo.
2) "Weapons" that can project a shield for offensive/defensive purposes.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Offensive shields
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:24:37 AM »

I was thinking about this too, Qloos1's youtube video game me the idea after he used his shield to deflect away an inbound capital ship hulk that the conquest didn't have the thrusters to maneuver out of the way.
I thought about the "piston/ram" idea of a close in fast frigate someone else suggested, but seeing as the shields themselves can deal the same physical damage more or less without any permanent physical damage to the hull, dealing with the problem of the piston ram by engineering a hull and kinetic energy absorbing rig that can take some of the shock that the piston pushes back into the ship becomes a strange issue when they can make a specialized shield projector to do that instead with none of the draw backs. Contrary to other shields that spread out the power along an overall area, this one concentrates all it's power into a single point or into a dagger or dart like shape.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:29:12 AM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Davian Thule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »

/necro

Building on this idea, with a new refit system coming out, perhaps a specific module for offensive shields that gives a bonus against collisions but has a negative effect on a ships ability to either maneuver anywhere but forward or on its weapons in general. In certain sci-fi's involving space combat, ramming ships aren't unheard of. <3 Armored Prows in Battlefleet Gothic and Rogue Trader.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »

Since collisions are rated as kinetic, I suppose it would be a kinetic-hardened shield?

A ship that was designed specifically for attacking with its shields I would imagine would make good use of high flux, high efficiency, but very narrow and rather unprotective shields with an arc less than 30 degrees.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »

Since collisions are rated as kinetic, I suppose it would be a kinetic-hardened shield?

A ship that was designed specifically for attacking with its shields I would imagine would make good use of high flux, high efficiency, but very narrow and rather unprotective shields with an arc less than 30 degrees.

I would think the concept to aim for for offensive shielding would be to concentrate the shield into a single point ahead of the ship instead of dispersing it along a wide front. Like an infinitely sharp spear compared to a club.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »

Using the current shield mechanics I'm not sure that's possible; also, its possible to deploy it on top of an enemy ship; a spear-like configuration only helps if you intend to ram (and even at that, only in an immerse sense, as gameplay wise it doesn't matter), which is actually less useful, as deploying on top deals more damage as the ship is shoved off the shield.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »

An idea kind of along these lines that I would enjoy would be to be able to have multiple shield generators on a ship. :) For instance I could see it being awesome for a ship to have three 90 degree shields each operating independently to shield from different threats approaching the ship, not as effective as a 360 degree shield in many ways, but for some situations it could be great.

Now obviously only 1 of those shields would be easily controlled by the player, but any extra shields would have to be automated I guess.  Not sure if that would be really hard to code for though or if the game is hard coded currently to only accept 1 shield per ship.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

You might be able to do 3 fixed shields per ship (and they all go up at the same time)
But 3 rotational ones I don't think would be possible interface wise.

Not to mention that the coding under the hood would have to be completely reworked regardless.

skyeyemachine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 12:31:23 AM »

What would be amusing is if you could set up two shields with similar coverage but different radii, such that you could trap relatively small ships in-between the two surfaces and rattle them around a bit.  Not sure if that's really feasible with the current engine though, let alone practical in-game. :P

skyeyemachine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:41 PM »

Thinking on that idea a little more, maybe a neat ship weapon/gadget would be some kind of 'gravity hook' or tractor beam - you could grab the nearest ship, or the most massive ship in range, or perhaps target one or more specific craft, and sling them around relative to your craft (or the reverse, depending on which of the tethered craft was more massive).  You could use it to fling ships into each other, or as a way to make slingshot-style hairpin turns around enemy craft.  You could use other massive objects like space stations and asteroids too, perhaps.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »

Given the way shields currently function, shields always push the object outwards, so it would only be massively accelerated away (which can be rather useful if done right on an asteroid into a ship, or a ship into a ship

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »

Thinking on that idea a little more, maybe a neat ship weapon/gadget would be some kind of 'gravity hook' or tractor beam - you could grab the nearest ship, or the most massive ship in range, or perhaps target one or more specific craft, and sling them around relative to your craft (or the reverse, depending on which of the tethered craft was more massive).  You could use it to fling ships into each other, or as a way to make slingshot-style hairpin turns around enemy craft.  You could use other massive objects like space stations and asteroids too, perhaps.

I REALLY like the idea of Tractor/Repulser beams in this game at some point, maybe that is something Alex already has on a list somewhere, but that'd be pretty cool for sure, heh heh.  :)
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »

what about a temporary ramming shield that surrounds you in a deadly plasma field to ram into enemy ships. This may also steadily increase the ships speed to gain maximum ramming velocity. After the ramming shield wares off you gain a massive flux overload and heavy damage to all system if the process didnt destroy you leaving you vulnerable.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »

what about a temporary ramming shield that surrounds you in a deadly plasma field to ram into enemy ships. This may also steadily increase the ships speed to gain maximum ramming velocity. After the ramming shield wares off you gain a massive flux overload and heavy damage to all system if the process didnt destroy you leaving you vulnerable.

This sounds like a pretty fun idea.  :)  Combine it with some forward firing Torpedoes, and Boom head-shot!  :)

Also, on a side note this whole thread is somewhat offensive in nature, just saying, I'm fine with it personally, but some more sheltered entities, like maybe a shield for example, might take offense at the contents.  :P  lol

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »

no missles as this is a powerful last desperation act and it shuts down all other systems.
Pages: [1] 2