Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Less Ill-Advised Mods for Vanilla Path  (Read 422 times)

Pratapon51

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Less Ill-Advised Mods for Vanilla Path
« on: October 15, 2022, 01:56:44 AM »

I've been playing with Well-Advised Modifications and have been better appreciating the Pather doctrine, since their ships don't get checked by raw RNG as they approach me. Only the player, who is able to remove hullmods, can utilize their ships to their fullest potential.

After some time, I felt it'd be good if the vanilla Path had some kind of bonus or special mod that reduces the suckiness of IAM; they could get a special mod that reduces critical malfunction chance. Since standardized skills are mentioned in the blogposts for factions, another extra touch would be to give all Pather officers Damage Control and/or Combat Endurance to reflect their ability to keep their ramshackle ships running. Thoughts?

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Less Ill-Advised Mods for Vanilla Path
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 06:00:09 AM »

Or the opposite: make Ill-Advised Modifications impossible to remove, it's the price you pay for having the normally un-builtindable Safety Overrides built-in.

*Hides*

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 06:08:35 AM »

Or the opposite: make Ill-Advised Modifications impossible to remove, it's the price you pay for having the normally un-builtindable Safety Overrides built-in.
I agree with this.  Removing Ill-Advised Mod. through Restore feels like an exploit.  Or if not that, give it the Lion's Guard treatment and dock the built-in SO from its OP total.

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 02:04:51 PM »

I felt it'd be good if the vanilla Path had some kind of bonus or special mod that reduces the suckiness of IAM; they could get a special mod that reduces critical malfunction chance. Since standardized skills are mentioned in the blogposts for factions, another extra touch would be to give all Pather officers Damage Control and/or Combat Endurance to reflect their ability to keep their ramshackle ships running. Thoughts?

Why not tweak Ill-advised so it only function when on a player owned ship. It's a relatively simple 'fix' and can be used to flesh out the lore:

Officer: "What do you mean it keeps overloading?!?"
Engineer: "Sir, the flux grid wasn't designed to handle these modifications, every time we stress the system it sends a surge through the entire grid."
Officer: "I don't want to hear excuses, if those damn Luddites can do it, so can you!"
Engineer: "But Sir, we don't know how they did it. These aren't standard modifications, they run the engines using the targeting computer it's a completely unorthodox approach and..."
Officer: "I already told you! I don't want excuses. If you cant figure it out I'll find someone who can and I'll see to it personally that you'll get the opportunity to ask those Luddites how they did it first hand!!!"

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 04:07:46 PM »

Why not tweak Ill-advised so it only function when on a player owned ship. It's a relatively simple 'fix' and can be used to flesh out the lore:
To keep Pathers weak like pirates, I guess.  The ships are primarily used by an enemy NPC faction.

Player is the only one who can Restore their ships and use them without Ill-Advised Modifications.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 09:37:48 AM »

Pathers are much stronger than Pirates due to everything being SO and reckless. They may still lose but they’re almost certainly going to blow something up

Wothout IAM they would be absurd.