Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Skills and the Major problem with them.  (Read 12118 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skills and the Major problem with them.
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2022, 12:13:46 AM »

No, if you want an apples-to-apples comparison, you put your pristine-but-unskilled Hammerhead up against a Hammerhead with a level 5 (or occasionally 7) officer, and then you mostly just lose.
Once again your group just keeps confirming what I already said. People that want the split are poor in combat and need many combat skills to stay relevant, but also prefer having a really strong fleet, so they feel bad they can't do everything. I absolutely don't feel worthless with only 2 or 3 combat skills (hell now I want do to a run with only QoL skills, anything that gives any sort of boost to a fleet or flagship is forbidden). Just increase your level cap mate, it will obviously solve all your issues.
...What? How did you get that from what I was saying? Any of that? Yeah, I don't even need to argue here, because none of that is anything I said.

Hiruma Kai already made a nice response so I'll keep it short. Can you please finally understand that with such a system, literally every player would have the exact same amount of personal and fleet skills. How does that not bother you?
...Yes? That is the point? How does this bother you?
You want to go full godship mode, well sucks to be you. You prefer to play as an admiral and leave autopilot on, grab these x combat skills either way. This is so silly I'm surprised some are remaining stubborn on this topic.
So I think we've discussed already that 'full godship mode' doesn't work, except perhaps as a challenge run, or with the Ziggurat; I don't mind nerfing the latter some, and if people want to do explicit challenge runs, they can console commands themselves to whatever skills they feel are appropriate. As for admiral play - I'll get to that.

Also what is the point of a discussion on a game forum when you're just going to say "you're wrong" and then explain how giving actual examples is pointless? I could've just quoted your whole post and respond "No, that doesn't make sense. I'm in the right here, becauseee reasons." If you're willing to go so far and defend a dumb idea, at least show us how it could be made cleverly. In the end who cares, we all know what Alex already said on this subject.
I gave an explanation for why I thought you were wrong. Which, again, has nothing to do with what you're complaining about, because that specific comment of mine that you're arguing about here was in response to Hiruma Kai, who seemed to be claiming that the current skill setup is perfect and any change that either added or removed capabilities was obviously bad.

The current skill system is not perfect. Any attempt to improve it is going to result in things the player can do now being removed and/or things the player can't do now being added.

Now, since you asked, my personal preference is to just say "Yes, this game is built with the player as a fleet admiral", make the player-accessible skill list be just the fleet-affecting skills, and then let the player assign a 'flag officer' to their flagship. Simple, makes sense, uses gameplay to set the expectation that the player has a fleet rather than setting the (wrong) expectation that the player can be some kind of elite solo pilot, gets the job done.
(How many fleet skills would the player get in this implementation? Do I look like I care? I do not. That is not an important detail. You would get some appropriate number of skills.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2022, 12:40:41 AM »

I don't mind nerfing the latter some, and if people want to do explicit challenge runs, they can console commands themselves to whatever skills they feel are appropriate.
"My playstyle is the only correct one and that should be the norm." Unless for some reason you're bound by some religious laws that forbid you from using console commands yourself. Actually a big part of your text comes across a bit hypocritical. I know people have a hard time putting themselves in other's shoes (in this case different playstyles), there are exceptions of course, but you can't normalise a system where everyone plays the same way.

You asked why it bothers me. Well I don't *** want to always pick x fleet skills and y combat skills. It's that simple. And I don't have a very specific playstyle. You'd be screwing over dozens of players who enjoy playing the game the way they do. And sure let's act like the skills are going to be different (once again for the 69th time). What exactly do you accomplish with a different skillset, that is still bound by the rule of giving you precise skills points for categories you might not even care about? Same crap, different day.

Imagine an RPG where you HAVE to put points in strength, HAVE to put point in magic, and so on. It's a forced jack of all trades game that tries to artificially limit you for some random reason.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2022, 01:46:12 AM »

Hiruma Kai already made a nice response so I'll keep it short. Can you please finally understand that with such a system, literally every player would have the exact same amount of personal and fleet skills. How does that not bother you?
...Yes? That is the point? How does this bother you?
bc it removes or lessens the ability to specialize where on the "Own Combat" to "Fleet Command" spectrum they sit?

Now, since you asked, my personal preference is to just say "Yes, this game is built with the player as a fleet admiral", make the player-accessible skill list be just the fleet-affecting skills, and then let the player assign a 'flag officer' to their flagship. Simple, makes sense, uses gameplay to set the expectation that the player has a fleet rather than setting the (wrong) expectation that the player can be some kind of elite solo pilot, gets the job done.
...tf are you talking about, you 1. can totally be an elite solo pilote with the right ship and if you're good enough and 2. even if you aren't good enough to pull that off you can just be the strongest unit in your fleet

imo it's pretty obvious that alex intends for personal piloting, why would he spend time making all the fancy omega weapon effects just recently if he just intended the player to look at the tactical map most of the time
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 02:03:00 AM by Jackundor »

snicka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2022, 02:42:18 AM »

I am once again calling to consider combat skills assymeteic.

They are strong, very if you can use them, just not as automatic as fleetwide bonuses. But become a tax of sorts later on.

Also, a PSA - if you want a power fantasy, properly made Ziggy is absolutely absurd. If it was a modship, it would be considered completely op and unsuitable for vanilla.

Other than that i strongly believe skills are  mosty fine. There are many strong options,  many interesting options, and significant opportunity costs leading to varied playstyles skill - wise.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 02:46:37 AM by snicka »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2022, 07:22:32 AM »

I like Ziggurat because it makes no-Leadership builds useful enough.  Even with Ziggurat, I still feel like I should get Leadership.  Without Ziggurat, I feel like I must get a Leadership capstone or be at a disadvantage.  If I get Leadership capstone AND about seven or eight personal skills (five in combat plus prime combat skills in Tech/Industry), I cannot get high Technology or Industry, which is where fun and/or QoL skills are.

In other words, Leadership is powerful enough that not taking it is putting your character and fleet at a disadvantage, unless player uses Ziggurat.

Doom used to be silly overpowered to be like Ziggurat-lite, but now player needs Combat skills to get at or a little over the level of unskilled Doom in the last few releases, which is strong, but not Ziggurat strong.

Against Ordos, unless player relies on Ziggurat, the fleet is the real power.  Flagship is nice, but not so great when the enemy is as skilled or more than your commander.

The easiest way to tone down Ziggurat is removing the doubled reload/recharge speed from Phase Anchor.  The faster reload from Phase Anchor lets Tachyon Lance out-DPS Plasma Cannon, and greatly speeds up Omega missile regeneration.  Change Phase Anchor so that only the Emergency Dive remains, and lower OP cost.  As for other phase ships, Phase Anchor is not much use (beyond Emergency Dive) without elite Field Modulation reducing phase cooldown too.

Just because you have no Leadership skills doesn't mean rest of the fleet is useless and you can't use officers.
But the fleet is at a disadvantage in a no-Leadership build.  Such a fleet will take casualties because it has less ships on the field (no Leadership capstone) and less officer power (no Officer Training).  Hull Restoration sometimes recovers all ships without any d-mods, but it is still not as good as not taking casualties that a max Leadership (near) mono-fleet can do.

And if I want to use solo Ziggurat, I want to keep fleet size no more than 100 DP to keep the map small and prevent objectives that can buff the enemy from spawning.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 07:34:54 AM by Megas »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2022, 08:56:37 AM »

Imagine an RPG where you HAVE to put points in strength, HAVE to put point in magic, and so on. It's a forced jack of all trades game that tries to artificially limit you for some random reason.
Ah, yes. Clearly we should have no 'artificial' limits. That's why the first point you put in tech can go into Automated Ships... oh, wait.

No, the only real argument in your post is "because I don't like it" which... okay. Fair. You don't like it. I don't like the current system. Sounds like we're done here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2022, 09:08:17 AM »

(@Grievous69: you're coming on a bit strong here; please remember to treat other forum members with respect.)

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2022, 09:42:21 AM »

Fundamentally, there is a tension here between two different styles of gaming -

- The games in which you make meaningful choices,
and
- The games in which you collect everything.

There's no special cheat option a developer can pick which serves both. It's particularly a problem for open-world games like Starsector, where you've got no pressure that would make questions like "you'll get both of these ships, but one now and one later. Which would serve you better to get first?" matter and so choices can only be meaningful either tactically or by being exclusive.

Now, someone could argue that certain skills are SO good there's no meaningful choice but to take them, and so those skills should just be provided always or otherwise removed as a choice, but personally - having intentionally run characters that max out three trees and skip one for each different tree - I wouldn't find that argument particularly credible.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2022, 09:47:30 AM »

tl;dr: buff combat skills

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2022, 10:15:30 AM »

Having the option to focus on single ship power, full fleet power or anything in between is more content than a restricted version.
Making loadouts that are AI-friendly enough to destroy ordos without player intervention and bounty hunting in a souped up Shrike might as well be 2 different games.
I think it'd be a bad idea to remove those extremes, both are interesting.
Current system has a few outliers, but IMO it's very nice for what it wants to do.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2022, 11:31:21 AM »

A naive divvying-up of the current skills into flagship / non-flagship skills with, say, seven picks from flagship (to match the best NPC officers) and eight from fleet, would not be ideal, I'll give you that. Obviously some additional changes would be needed, and insisting that we use exactly the current building blocks and change nothing else is a bad place to try to argue from. So please don't.

Fair enough.  I was hoping for something that would be easy to mock up in a personal mod, or at least fake it with a changed max level, console commands and self-discipline.  Using the current skill blocks is something even I can test for myself quickly.  But I can see how my requirement might be unreasonably limiting to show off how a split system might be done properly if designed from the ground up for it.  However, without such a system in front of me, I'm having difficulty envisioning the benefits such a system would bring to offset the benefit of playstyle diversity that the current system brings.

I gave an explanation for why I thought you were wrong. Which, again, has nothing to do with what you're complaining about, because that specific comment of mine that you're arguing about here was in response to Hiruma Kai, who seemed to be claiming that the current skill setup is perfect and any change that either added or removed capabilities was obviously bad.

The current skill system is not perfect. Any attempt to improve it is going to result in things the player can do now being removed and/or things the player can't do now being added.

Now to be fair, I didn't say the system was perfect.  To be honest, I doubt any skill system can be perfect, in the sense it makes players with a wide variety of personal gaming skill happy with it all the time.  As I said before, I could see changes to the combat skill strengths depending on whose skill level you wish to balance against as being reasonable.  Which I think is one of the great strengths of Starsector, since Alex supports modding quite strongly which allows players to change the game to suit their tastes (or at least download a modder's take that might be closer to their own).

However, I do weigh having a flexible system which provides more playstyle choices as being better than one with fewer play style choices, if the fewer play style choice appears to be presenting a subset of what we can do with the flexible system.  Now of course, if skills are poorly balanced, the flexibility is not supported in actual play as people are corralled into a small sub-set of options.   On the other hand, I don't think people not realizing how good certain skill picks are, or alternatively not having the skill to utilize a particular playstyle, is not a failure of the skill system per se.  It's either a failure of information presentation or the fact that a skill system balanced against a single skill level is unable to accommodate multiple skill levels well, which is inherent to any game which is intended to provide challenge, but not a selectable level of challenge.

Since I'm a singular player with a given level of play skill, the only feedback I can give is I find the combat skill strength currently acceptable.

(How many fleet skills would the player get in this implementation? Do I look like I care? I do not. That is not an important detail. You would get some appropriate number of skills.)

I guess it's a fundamental perception or playstyle difference. I personally think you can be an elite solo pilot currently.  Although perhaps it comes down to what you define as an elite solo pilot.  For me, being an elite solo pilot requires is the ability to dictate engagements and the ability to deal out enough damage to destroy a single target in a limited time window.  Which does generally limit it to the high tech playstyle, so using a ship like a Scarab, Shrike, Medusa, Hyperion, Fury, Aurora, or Odyssey.  It's not that hard to take on 5 to 10 times your DP in enemy ships (including officers) if you've got a pure personal combat skill character build in such ships.  See for example attached pngs, from an 8.2 to 1 DP ratio fight I just ran.  Took my Neural Link Radiant save which happened to have an Odyssey, spent the story point to respec into even more personal combat skills, ran out of story points on elite skills, and then went and engaged a ~300k bounty with a base Odyssey (no s-mods), and no hot seat silliness to get Combat Endurance +15% CR and Missile Specialization +100% missiles for free.   Even got 2 story points out of the fight with a +412% experience bonus.

If you limit me to 5 or even 7 combat skills, with only 1 or maybe 2 elite of them elite, I wouldn't be able to do that fight.  It really does take quite a bit of bonuses to push the Odyssey in this case over the edge to being able to handle the missile spam (8 large launchers, and too many Sabot pods to be honest), as well as deal with ships faster than itself in a timely manner (Furies and Shrikes).  Point Defense and Integrated PD AI were key here, with 673 missiles shot down.  Not to mention maneuverability bonuses from Helmsmanship and Elite Combat, range bonuses, vent speed, and just general flux buffs.

Now, I will admit, against something like an Ordo, or a pile of Onslaughts since the burn drive change (they keep together much better these days, I can't bait them into separating), what I typically do is solo wipe out the frigates, destroyers and cruisers, retreat to reset PPT, and then come in with a sufficient number of distraction ships.  Or alternatively, start with the Odyssey and then deploy the 8 officered ships halfway through the fight, after the enemies have been thinned, and if I'm feeling particularly mean, with the enemy ships positioned between me and the relief forces.  You don't need fleet bonuses when you defeat 50% to 75% the enemy fleet yourself.

Ah, yes, the age-old challenge of... killing a pirate Buffalo? Pirates tend toward junkers, yes, but will that pristine-but-unskilled Hammerhead survive against pathers? How about pirate bounty targets that are using Hegemony XIV hulls? No, if you want an apples-to-apples comparison, you put your pristine-but-unskilled Hammerhead up against a Hammerhead with a level 5 (or occasionally 7) officer, and then you mostly just lose.

I think there may have been a miscommunication here.  I wasn't approaching this from an apples-to-apples comparison.  I don't see how that matters in regard to a player who is poor a piloting learning how to pilot.  I was approaching it from how players learn to pilot better and I had thought you had meant there were no easy targets to learn against?

And if you're not a good pilot and focusing on non-flagship-boosting skills, then how are you going to get to be a good pilot if your flagship is just trivially outperformed by every random two-bit pirate or pather (nevermind high level AI cores)?

I guess my point was if a player doesn't know how to pilot their ship, there is a natural progression that they can go through against easier enemies first to learn basic piloting skills, starting with a level 1 character where the skill tree barely matters, and then move onto harder and harder enemies as they pick up the skills and concepts (both player and character) they need to pilot better personally.  Do 40k-50k "two-bit" pirate bounties ever even include pristine Hegemony XIV hulls?  I didn't think they did.  If they're running around with pristine ships and rare hulls, isn't that like 200k and up bounty territory?

So all I'm saying is that starter Hammerhead you get out of the tutorial has some easy options to start learning against, i.e. Buffalo Mk IIs, progress up against Mules, then Shrikes, Enforcers, and then against pristine Hammerheads, and then moving on to bigger but slower D-mod cruisers.

That is what I mean by 'fleet admiral' - my total combat power depends more on having a fleet than on what I do with my flagship - and, yeah, about seven flagship combat skills is where I tend to end up, too. (Again, Ziggurat shenanigans excepted.)

Thanks for the clarification, I had misunderstood but that makes it clear.  Depending on how I'm playing, I find my personal experience can be significantly different from that.  Certainly, early game I'm typically pulling far more than 50% of the work.  Mid-game depends on what I'm trying to do and my exact fleet composition, and to be honest what I sometimes find as derelicts - one game I found a 4-dmod Aurora floating in hyperspace early on - that was a quick jump to mid and late game bounties since a combat skilled SO Aurora has no problems overpowering a Conquest or getting behind an Onslaught.

[attachment deleted by admin]

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2022, 01:04:43 PM »

I think my biggest gripe is that a lot of the non-combat skills are more 'quality of life' type skills, that minimize some grindy aspects of the game (d-mod removal, logistics benefits, arguably increased burn, arguably sensor strength). Dropping these skills is frequently really annoying because it's totally possible to play the game without them, and achieve all the same things, but it's just more annoying (takes more IRL time to do something that isn't inherently interesting moment by moment), so I feel like I am trading away some enjoyment (in having to spend more time doing uninteresting stuff) in order to be better at combat, which is what I ultimately want to do. That's definitely subjective, but it's my experience personally. I usually end up starting with QOL skills and speccing out later when I have solved all logistical issues with colonies, but that feels like a cop-out since I am not actually making interesting choices.

I guess part of that feeling is that it seems like the only worthwhile long term goal in the game is some variation of maximizing/optimizing combat power (making unlimited money is trivially easy once you understand the game due to colonies and also some missions and black market stuff). The only other interesting challenge feels like it would be modding up the game (or imposing a bunch of personal limitations) so that the early game is really hard, making survival an interesting challenge, but I don't think vanilla really achieves that.

Another thought: IMO, tradeoffs within the same game balance space are more interesting because your alternative still helps you achieve the same thing, but in a different way. For instance, choosing between two combat skills makes you better at combat in both cases, you're just choosing how you want to be better at combat, and figuring out how that choice interacts with your personal ability, preference, and the ships/weapons you have right now. Choosing between a combat skill and a non-combat/QOL skill forces you to choose between having more fun in one aspect of the game or the other (hopefully taking skills makes the game more fun, otherwise, what is the point?).

Tradeoffs between personal and fleet combat skills are a bit better. My main issue there is just that I've found the 'optimum' set of skills tends towards the extreme cases (stacking as many personal or fleet wide skills as possible) rather than a more balanced approach. But I think defining the 'optimum' is ultimately somewhat subjective, so it's not as much of an issue for me.

I also will say that I personally like the idea of having a 'first officer' in your flagship that give you personal combat skills, and then having the skill system be only for broader effects. Maybe there can be a few skills that let your first officer have extra skills/benefits so that there is still some way of achieving a 'solo play style', without having such a major impact on the rest of the skill system (trying to balance all these personal skills against all these other categorically different combat and non-combat skills).

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2022, 01:20:41 PM »

I also will say that I personally like the idea of having a 'first officer' in your flagship that give you personal combat skills, and then having the skill system be only for broader effects. Maybe there can be a few skills that let your first officer have extra skills/benefits so that there is still some way of achieving a 'solo play style', without having such a major impact on the rest of the skill system (trying to balance all these personal skills against all these other categorically different combat and non-combat skills).
Oh, I like that notion - have a skill that lets you train up one or two officers to level 7, maybe even 8 (or maybe it just lets you pick one officer and give them one extra level, so level 8 comes from applying it to a recovered level 7 officer?) And then, well, you can use them as your flag officer if you want, or you can put them on that Paragon you don't actually like piloting, whichever.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2022, 01:30:29 PM »

This buffs the enemy too, and endgame enemies have lots of combat skills.  Human fleets have six skills, and Ordos have seven or eight - about as much as a player with high (but not all-in) investment in personal skills.

If Omega becomes a recurring enemy, they get ten skills!  (On the other hand, we get more of their great weapons!)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2022, 01:34:34 PM »

This buffs the enemy too, and endgame enemies have lots of combat skills.  Human fleets have six skills, and Ordos have seven or eight - about as much as a player with high (but not all-in) investment in personal skills.

If Omega becomes a recurring enemy, they get ten skills!  (On the other hand, we get more of their great weapons!)
Yeah, this is a big part of the problem with trying to balance combat skills the way they are. They need to be strong enough to be impactful and interesting so you want to take them, but also not too strong so that the game is playable/fun when enemies have lots of more of them than you, and also not too strong so that if you take as many as you can, the game isn't too easy. And they need to be balanced against the other skills with completely different effects on top of all that.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9