Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Hyperspace Topography  (Read 14791 times)

vok3

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspace Topography
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2022, 12:28:32 PM »

Speak for yourself. I use slipstreams fairly frequently. As I said above, I generally plan my expeditions outside the Core around the stream cycle specifically to take advantage of them;

This might be a vanilla vs Nexerelin thing.  I cannot imagine "scheduling" which side or direction of the sector I'm going to, on a timescale of months.  I simply don't have that kind of margin, most of the time, and if I'm going out of the core, it is to go to a specific place that I need to go to RIGHT NOW and I can't afford to put it off by a month or two.

And if I DO have the time margin to play with, it's because I've opened the gates and can ignore streams entirely.

In vanilla, however, I can imagine it, because it doesn't matter how long anything takes; nothing meaningful will change.  But the last time I tried playing vanilla - just to remind myself how it works - I got two game-years in, was extremely bored, and clicked "enable all" next time the game launcher came up.

Of course Alex is designing around the vanilla experience.  But if the dynamic you describe is part of the intended goal, there should be purposeful ways to capitalize on it - not just "I'll wait a season".  That's planetside farmer attitude, not spaceship captain attitude.

IME deep hyperspace storms are way more irritating and disruptive than slipstreams,

Other way around.  Storms mean I can go fast in exactly the direction I want to go, right f'ing now, for a price.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2022, 05:48:57 AM »

I don't use Nexerelin, and I have never cared even once about which direction streams are going.
They're either going the direction I want right now, or they're not. And it makes zero difference to my travel plans.

I've decided where I'm going and why, "weather" isn't going to change that.
It might help occasionally, but it will never stop or delay me.

wad78

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2022, 04:00:58 AM »

I am not sure if I am the odd one out, but I have never cared about anything in hyperspace, I just open the map, click on my destination and wait. I don't maneuver around hyperspace storms or slow down, I just speed up the game and wait.

Sometimes I run across the new slipstream things, they are annoying since they typically make me waste fuel. It seems you are expected to manually navigate out of them with an E boost or something, but I just wait instead and then let the game proceed to the destination once the fleet makes it out.

redvyper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2022, 09:00:48 AM »

It's almost that time of the year where I travel home and rely on gaming on my laptop (i.e. starsector full time). Usually there is a new release at around this time. Will this grad student be seeing a new version of starsector this Dec?  :D

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2022, 05:50:35 PM »

Not even any patch notes yet, so no.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2022, 09:41:57 PM »

I wonder if splitting the streams directions for the top and bottom half of the map would make them more or less useful?  ???

What I mean is, right now they all go right for six months, then they all go left for six month, repeat. What if the top half went right while the bottom half went left, then they swap (ie top goes left while bottom goes right). You could test to see if that setup is good for the current six month rotation, or if a full year would be better.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2023, 03:26:31 AM »

That sounds kinda neat in theory as you are guaranteeing that either side at the very least always has slipstreams. They however might or might not be still too far for you to find them of use this way though
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

BobExplains

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2023, 03:30:50 AM »

I kinda agree with what a lot of the posters in this thread have mentioned regarding it being hard to get streams to work in your favour and having them be a neutral influence at best most of the time. I think there are many cases where they actually result in higher fuel usage because they cut across my path of travel or they overshoot where I need to go and I need to back track so it all eats up time and fuel.

Having easier detection and meaningful fuel savings will go a long way to making them actually useful so I am really looking forward to this new game mechanic. One slight downside is it's going to introduce even more pressure on Inventory storage space since we'll now have to pack a decent reserve of volatiles when we are exploring, are we going to see anything else that helps to boost storage in the next update?

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2023, 04:09:17 PM »

I kinda agree with what a lot of the posters in this thread have mentioned regarding it being hard to get streams to work in your favour and having them be a neutral influence at best most of the time. I think there are many cases where they actually result in higher fuel usage because they cut across my path of travel or they overshoot where I need to go and I need to back track so it all eats up time and fuel.

Having easier detection and meaningful fuel savings will go a long way to making them actually useful so I am really looking forward to this new game mechanic. One slight downside is it's going to introduce even more pressure on Inventory storage space since we'll now have to pack a decent reserve of volatiles when we are exploring, are we going to see anything else that helps to boost storage in the next update?
As someone who uses neutrino and puts relays everywhere i can tell you you don't need to carry that many volatiles or transplutonics around compared to supplies.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]