Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Reduce Squalls missile health?

Yay!
Nay!

Author Topic: Reduce squall missile health  (Read 848 times)

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
Reduce squall missile health
« on: October 09, 2022, 07:59:03 AM »

I think I've figured out the problem with the Squall! Missile health. If you look at the numbers the Squall's missile health is on par with Torpedoes and the Sabot. This is simply too much given one of the the strengths of the Squall is to overwhelm the enemies PD using a sustained barrage of rockets. It should also be noted that the Squall is the fastest conventional Missile in the game (600) with the Hammer torpedo coming 2nd (500).

To sum it up: High health + High speed + Continuous fire = too difficult for PD to deal with.

Ideally I would say drop the Squall a tier to 150.
And while we're at it, raise the Pilum to 300 given its similarity to the Sabot (slow speed, multi-stage).

Code: Missile Health
Reaper-Class Torpedo	500
Proximity Charge 500
Breach SRM 450
Hammer-Class Torpedo 350
Hurricane MIRV 350
Atropos-Class Torpedo 300
Sabot SRM 300
Squall 300
Salamander MRM 150
Harpoon MRM 150
Pilum LRM 150
Locust SRM 60
Swarmer SRM 50
Annihilator Rocket 50

It should be noted that the reason I said not to nerf its speed is because the Squall is long-range and unguided which would completely mess with the missiles hit rate.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 08:04:23 AM by Great Wound »

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce squall missile health
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 08:53:04 AM »

Inb4 people come here saying that bUt SqUall WIlL bE nErfEd. Yes we know, it will still do the same amout of damage and overwhelm pd just the same so something has to be done about that.
The large missile rooster will be expanded but if squall will be still as good as now then the new missiles will not see much use. (Except if they are broken storng as well, which I hope not, let this game not devolve into even more powercreep with each new update.)

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 03:37:48 AM »

Apparently squalls are going to be less effective against armor on the next update so depending on how it shapes up it might be overkill
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 04:12:57 AM »

Right, because everyone uses squalls for their ability to strip armour /s

That was more of an oversight that got fixed, than a nerf some keep claiming it is.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:50:21 PM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 11:26:50 PM »

Imo, it's more about combination with Missile Spec skill. Even base squalls are very hard to stop. Extra rate of fire + missile health rule out any potential counters than flak Onslaught with PD skills/IPDAI, and the skill also gives +100% ammo on top.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 01:34:24 PM »

I do like the idea of a high-hp high-volume missile that you use to overwhelm enemy pd in conjunction with other missiles, but the squall does too much damage to be allowed to fill that role. It's also the only missile that can fill that role.
TL;DR deez nuts

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 03:51:43 PM »

Right, because everyone uses spam for their ability to strip armour /s
Currently, Squalls are an all-purpose or anti-everything missile that has significantly more range than Locusts.  I have used Squalls instead of Locusts if I can fit ECCM on the ship because of range superiority.  (If I do not have enough OP, then I use Locusts for all-purpose use, but they lack the 2500 range that makes other large homing missiles good.)

Squall nerf probably will not significantly hurt the ships that can complement it with long-range anti-armor.  On Gryphon or Conquest, they can have Harpoons to compliment Squalls.  On Apogee or Champion, HIL.

With that said, I am not sure I want Squall hp reduced.  Less armor damage means player cannot brute force with Squalls alone as easily as he can today.  And part of the reason why Squalls are strong is they can brute force through armor and hull from long range in a pinch.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 03:56:03 PM by Megas »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 04:26:06 PM »

I vote against for now simply because meta changes can be subtle and I'd like to see how the current change of less armor/hull damage works out. In previous patches squalls weren't considered overpowered, even though they were very little changed from how they are now, but the missile skill change benefited them more than it did the other larges.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »

I vote against for now simply because meta changes can be subtle and I'd like to see how the current change of less armor/hull damage works out. In previous patches squalls weren't considered overpowered, even though they were very little changed from how they are now, but the missile skill change benefited them more than it did the other larges.
Agreed.  The main problem with earlier Squalls was lack of ammo - it ran out too fast.  And in earlier releases, we had stronger stuff like Spark Drovers (early 0.9) or overpowered solo ships (even earlier).  Also, DP distribution varied by fleet size; and player could outnumber the Remnants if he brought enough ships, and Remnants might have had less core power too.  (I do not remember Ordos in older releases having 15+ alpha cores and the rest of the ships having gamma or beta cores.)

Also, the faster firing missiles from Missile Spec. is elite level, something that not all enemy human fleets have.  For NPC fleets, only those with AI cores have every skill elite, and in case of Remnants, that means Radiants (and Nexus), and Squalls is not exactly the most dangerous thing an enemy Radiant can do.  Some ships built for PD (PD weapons, IPDAI, elite PD) can stop some of the incoming Squalls from non-elite missileships.