Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.96a] Unconventional Armaments  (Read 8741 times)

ve

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.96a] Unconventional Armaments
« on: October 09, 2022, 04:57:55 AM »

Adds two ships of questionable design, two variants and two weapons. More random garbage coming soon™.

Doesn't necessarily require anything, but MagicLib is recommended for the included bounties to actually work.

Download v1.4d

Changelog:
Spoiler

- - v1.4d - -

- reworked the two built-in Armada and (XIV) hullmods (mostly flavor text and lore accuracy, but it actually makes sense alongside the desc now)
 - nerfed the Armada somewhat (worse flux, better armor, so on. shouldn't be as blatantly OP as before)
 - some of the other changes might be save incompatible in some cases (but you're welcome to try anyways)

- - v1.4c - -

- updated to 0.96a

- - v1.4b - -

- added modified UTPC for the Onslaught (E) (mostly flavor, it's basically a slightly worse TPC)
 - added some detail to the Explorarium hullmod sprite
 - added bounties featuring the Onslaught (E) and Armada (XIV) (get MagicLib to actually play them)
 - changed up the Whiplash sprite to look slightly less bad (spoiler: it's still bad, but actually somewhat distinct from the MIRV)

- - v1.4 - -

- Added Onslaught (E) (Good luck finding it though, it's a rare BP.)
 - Renamed some stuff
 - Cleaned up descriptions

- - v1.3c - -

- Added Whiplash GSM
 - Reassigned ship roles to actually make sense
 - Added sim opponents
 - Changed the mod name AGAIN (Hopefully for the last time.)

- - v1.3b - -

- Fixed a crash when trying to autofit the Armada
 - Nerfed the Ascent's stats considerably
 - Slightly changed descriptions

- - v1.3 - -

- Added Ascent
 - Slightly changed sprites of both Armadas
 - Renamed the mod (But that's not exactly important.)

- - v1.2 - -

- Added Armada (XIV) (Doesn't make sense, it's not supposed to.)

- - v1.1 - -

- Armada's sprite updated to look slightly less bad
 - Armada's weapon slots ever so slightly modified
 - Armada's stats modified to be slightly less dumb (I mean seriously, it having more hull points than an Onslaught was a little odd.)
 - Special hullmod added specifically because 360° shields shouldn't be possible on Low Tech stuff (Who the hell thought of installing front conversion on this in the first place?)

- - v1.0 - -

- Added the mod

[close]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 01:14:32 PM by ve »

MrCattsDad

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Armada Battlecarrier
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 05:30:38 AM »

This is pretty much a low tech odyssey and I love it. Probably not the best but 3 mjolnirs broadsiding feels POTENT.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:55:33 AM by MrCattsDad »

Watchin_Life_Go_By

• Ensign
  • Your Ships are Mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 07:58:29 AM »

Looks ridiculous, I love it.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 08:29:57 AM »

Looks like WW2 Battle carrier, nice!

V_KJ

• Ensign
  • Coffee tastes great, wdym?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 09:06:13 AM »

Adds a single, somewhat balanced capital ship.

Download here

Watching this go from being shared at the starsector subreddit to someone making a sprite of it to making it into an actual ship m od is one of the best character developments I've seen with my own eyes.

I'm definitely making this into my flag ship in my next playthrough.
"How do you code in a Macbook?"

Tranzaxion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 11:13:52 AM »

Download here

Watching this go from being shared at the starsector subreddit to someone making a sprite of it to making it into an actual ship m od is one of the best character developments I've seen with my own eyes.

i saw that reddit post too and thought it would take more of a aurorian flight deck style but this is waaayyyy more golorious and a true beuty to behold.

Pluvio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 12:50:55 PM »

Download here

Same for me, watching this go from a bit of a meme to a fully fledged ship was a trip! I hope I can add this marvelous beast into my current game.

wraithstalke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 05:40:33 PM »

This is very nice. I haven't yet looked at the arcs, but if you wanted feedback I have some.

If you don't then, this is great!

Spoiler
The omni shield is a little out of place on a low tech ship, especially 180 degrees, since that goes to 360 very easily.
Does the sprite have 4 or 5 carrier bays on it? The front split one could be one or two.
Ordnance is pretty high for a 28 point ship.
[close]

Cuttlefish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 11:50:28 AM »

A must have in every playthrough 10/10

pappyodaniel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 01:19:27 PM »

Looks cool, will have to give it a try.

ve

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 01:27:15 PM »

This is very nice. I haven't yet looked at the arcs, but if you wanted feedback I have some.

If you don't then, this is great!

Spoiler
The omni shield is a little out of place on a low tech ship, especially 180 degrees, since that goes to 360 very easily.
Does the sprite have 4 or 5 carrier bays on it? The front split one could be one or two.
Ordnance is pretty high for a 28 point ship.
[close]

Thanks for the feedback, I plan on changing all those as soon as I can.

Spoiler
The fighter bays are not the best quality, I'll probably change the split frontal one to a merged symmetrical and redo the ones on the back eventually.
The omni shield is meant to make it work without looking ridiculous, being a ship even longer and leaner than an Odyssey, but I was thinking of changing how front shield would work on it to be somewhat less OP.
Funny thing about the fleet points is that I didn't know what they did, and just copied the Onslaught's stats on everything I didn't quite understand. Soon to be fixed.
[close]

lance34

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Unconventional Ship Pack
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 04:02:32 AM »

If length of the ship makes shield projection problematic, why not use "Damper Field" as the "Defense System", like on the "Vanguard"?

I'd expect most "Ordnance Points" to be used for weapons and fighters rather than flux capacity by min-maxing admirals since shield tanking is not a strength of low-tech ships + the weapon mount selection and carrier focus makes the ship well suited for long range bombardment and fleet support rather than frontline duty.

Retreating such a massive carrier when pressured seems difficult, standing your ground would also be dangerous with its wide profile, likely to catch stray high-explosive missiles.

The only way to make it survivable would be high-efficiency shielding (which tends to be exclusive to high tech ships) or extremely fast movement/acceleration which I feel is out of line considering how small the engine block is compared to its size.
An integrated damper field would allow it to absorb waves of pressure as its fighter craft regroup and flux is dissipated, carving out a niche as a "Fleet Anchor" around which the classic low-tech line formation can be stabilized.

PrivateSaber

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Unconventional Armaments
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 10:05:03 AM »

So I tried to update to 1.3c to 1.4 and tried to open my save then I got this error

Fatal: weapon spec [ve_matchbox] not found!

now it works when I start a new game so nothing wrong there

is it possible to fix this? im pretty sure its just a weapon or hullmod issue if you cant well that's fine i only just recently started my new game

ve

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 10:22:45 AM »

So I tried to update to 1.3c to 1.4 and tried to open my save then I got this error

Fatal: weapon spec [ve_matchbox] not found!

now it works when I start a new game so nothing wrong there

is it possible to fix this? im pretty sure its just a weapon or hullmod issue if you cant well that's fine i only just recently started my new game

Unfortunately probably not. Basically it's trying to load a weapon that was removed in 1.4, which it can't find and subsequently crashes.

I can't test it right now, but adding any functional weapon fitting that ID would likely fix the issue. It'd be easier to stay on 1.3c or start a new game though.

PrivateSaber

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 11:40:24 AM »

alright after confusingly wandering through your files for like 1 hour I managed to fix it by basically getting 1.3c's files and replacing everything in 1.4 that had whiplash with matchbox the mod works now
Pages: [1] 2