Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Conquest appreciation thread (0.95.1a)  (Read 8127 times)

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Conquest appreciation thread (0.95.1a)
« on: October 09, 2022, 02:34:41 AM »

The Conquest gets a lot of hate, but it's actually a great ship. Let's have a Conquest appreciation thread.

I just finished my second game of the new version, this one with Nex, Starfarer Mode, Free start. Explored, found AI cores, sold them to buy a Conquest, joined the Diktat, started waging war, conquered much of the sector and harvested all the Alpha Cores I could ever want from the [REDACTED] using nothing but these ships. They can take out literally everything in the game, are easy to get, available from the same place where you buy your fuel, and do not require an insane amount of player skill either. In my previous game I used them to defeat the [SUPER REDACTED] too, can't be bothered here since rewards not worth the effort. This screenshot has the Starship Legends mod, but the build works just as well without or possibly better (Starship Legends + Nex = occasionally massive enemy fleets with +15% range and +10% damage).

So, Conquest. I guess there are other ships in the game, but why even bother with them.

Spoiler
[close]
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

cytokine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest appreciation thread (0.95.1a)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 05:00:35 AM »

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY DARLINGS

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 05:11:48 AM »

Well they do explode sometimes I have to admit but since the main goal is massive missile spam combined with decent firepower, the D-mods don't really matter that much anyway
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Tadas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 05:22:14 AM »

Yeah conquests are cool, always happy to get one early game. I tend to put Mjolnirs on them, to get that all-rounder feel and I like the sound they make. I like their maximum burn speed, one of the reasons I usually don't take onslaughts/paragons in late game fleets.

Devastators on left side are tripping me out though.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:25:46 AM by Tadas »

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 05:33:48 AM »

I like to run gauss/maulers on the left + ion beam

Of course, I don't use it as a lineship either so /shrug

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 06:10:11 AM »

Devastators on left side are tripping me out though.

Why?

Tadas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 06:12:55 AM »

I always put them on the right side, like god intended.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 07:44:34 AM »

I'm currently using two Conquests as Nav Relay capitals in my all Ballistic Mastery fleet, mostly by process of elimination. Onslaught is kind of a weird ship - and rather bad for the AI for multitude of reasons - while Legions are too vulnerable to Afflictors/Shades/Dooms. So if I want a ballistic capital I'm stuck with the Conquest... and it looks like the upcoming Retribution won't change anything either. No ITU, no BC.

I should point out that it's an officer fit, my character is relaxing in a Revenant.

Spoiler
[close]

Yes, it's symmetrical. All my officers have Ordnance Expertise so it actually works out pretty well(i.e. compare this fit's flux stats with OP) One interesting thing I noticed about the AI Conquest is that its behaviour will change based on what you put in the medium energy slots. At first I used Ion Beams but then the AI was oddly conservative with the Mjolnirs. Once I changed it to something with shorter range it had no problems keeping the guns firing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 07:46:05 AM by BCS »

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 08:30:30 AM »

I always put them on the right side, like god intended.

Putting the heavy guns on the right side means that you keep the enemy to your right, ie. in view of your left, logical hemisphere. Therefore it is the superior configuration and key to success with the Conquest.

Tadas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 10:47:46 AM »

Augmented drive field, efficiency overhaul, locust. Damn, I am too much of a coward to use stuff that does not directly help in combat. I suppose locust does I just rarely use it and mostly on Apogees if I do.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 12:17:53 PM »

I like Locusts when I want to get "bang for buck" out of a large missile slot without spending many OP on it. Doesn't need ECCM or Missile Racks, only 18 OP, does its job well vs fighters and frigates. Pilum is kind of the same - its an effective EMP support/hull damage/battlespace clutter missile that needs no boosters and is only 7 OP.

Both of them pay for that with a low "ceiling" of effectiveness as they can't burst down shields or hull very effectively and don't really benefit from ECCM or racks, though there is some benefit to Pilum + ECCM for like a Thunder carrier to give faster LRM support from way beyond visible range.

Tadas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »

Interesting, never thought about it that way. I guess in my mind large missile slots are one of the strongest mount types in the game and I kind of want something with a bit of oomph there. I wonder how squall nerf will affect it next patch.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 12:30:58 PM »

I wonder how squall nerf will affect it next patch.
Spoiler alert: Not at all.
Please don't take me too seriously.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 10:12:43 PM »

The Squalls are the optimum choice per my experience when you are spamming Conquests. There is such a flood of missiles that no enemy can keep their shields up at all. The Hellbores do a good enough job of cracking armor so that low tech ships are still dealt with, and I have Harpoons for the medium missile slots which are necessary to finish off fleeing opponents.

My layout may not be playership optimal, but this is one that the AI plays very nicely with. In fact I can trust all but the most difficult fights to the AI without losses much of the time. In my experience other gun and missile configurations did worse (that is for the AI), possibly because of flux issues. The AI needs to be able to shield tank and win the flux war despite the Conquest having terrible shields is my theory. That is, when you are using Conquests as your line of battle ships and not just as artillery. In fact I found them more survivable for the AI than other capitals when kitted properly and used in this fleet configuration. Haven't tried Mjolnirs with Ordnance expertise and Flux distributors though. Probably should, it sounds like you are doing well with it. But I'm concerned about heavy armor.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 10:16:52 PM by CapnHector »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 10:43:01 PM »

Oh yeah, re left vs right: I like putting the guns on the left so its the same as on an Odyssey in terms of flying.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7