Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why Alex doesn't want early access on Steam  (Read 4229 times)

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Why Alex doesn't want early access on Steam
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2022, 05:27:12 AM »

I don't think Alex should release the game on Steam. The division between Steam workshop and 'other users' could fracture the community.

Alex should release the game on GoG and Epic.

Epic won't take so a large a cut so more $$$ for Alex.
GoG is a (relatively) DRM experience so people who don't want to install Steam/Epic/Galaxy or have need for a portable version can download the installer to use offline.

Everyone's happy...

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2022, 06:49:08 AM »

Another reason Steam might be nice, is the thought of playing Star Sector on a steam deck. Might be clunky but potentially possible with two joy sticks and a mouse trackpad?
You don't need to be on Steam to run a game on the Deck though. There is a thread here of people running SS on it
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2022, 08:08:48 AM »

You don't need to be on Steam to run a game on the Deck though. There is a thread here of people running SS on it
Not everyone wants to run a Steam deck on the Proton O/S.

I don't think Alex should release the game on Steam. The division between Steam workshop and 'other users' could fracture the community.

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by a division between steam workshop and other users?
Are you saying that existing mods would break or not be installable if we had a Steam version of Star Sector?

Epic won't take so a large a cut so more $$$ for Alex.
Everyone's happy...
As stated previously and by others in this discussion, Steam might take 30%, but they offer a huge player base, coverage and exposure. If we are talking '$$$' as you put it, then excluding from Steam doesn't make sense. You can launch on Steam and GOG, plenty of games are available on multiple platforms. Everyone these days hates console exclusive titles, so that mentality has been dying off over the last few years. We are seeing titles like God of War playable on PC, along with lots of other titles that might of been Xbox or PS exclusive in the past. So making games specific to one vendor or another doesn't make sense from a revenue perspective or a player accessibility point of view.

Saying 'everyone's happy' - but wanting to exclude the game from a Steam platform, is completely contradictory. Obviously not everyone's happy because lots of people would want it to be available on Steam..

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 08:12:24 AM by Ryan390 »

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2022, 09:27:10 AM »

Saying 'everyone's happy' - but wanting to exclude the game from a Steam platform, is completely contradictory.

Don't worry, the irony is intended.

Aerensiniac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2022, 06:24:33 PM »

Dude, don't you think throwing a tantrum because someone else's game isn't as popular as you want it to be on their own forum makes you sound a bit... entitled?
I spent the past 5 minutes trying to conceptualize or at least try to comprehend how you managed to use the word "entitled" in association with something i have literally no stake in and is of no benefit to me whatsoever.
I can only conclude that you have no idea what the word means.

By the way how does being a player for XXX years make you an expert on marketing choices? Riddle me that.
Could you tell me what a cat is and then justify how you could proclaim it without a phd in biology?

How was the "hundred thousand modders" figure derived?
1. Look up the number of modders just on steam
2. Was totally the point brother. Good job on going for the essence of a post instead of drowning yourself face first in a strawman.

Man devoted 30 years to playing games, yet couldn't spend a single one to improve communication skills. We truly live in a gamer society.
Being cheeky aside, do you really think such a post would suddenly persuade Alex to release the game on Steam right now.
Im very sorry that my "communication skills" do not hit the minimum standard for your taste.
Maybe its due to my lack of "communication skills" that you start to assume things like the idea that i want to persuade alex to do something.
Probably because much like one of the other "apex of thought and intellect" performers above, you think that its of a benefit to me, so its a question of entitlement.
So while we are having this discussion about "communication skills" why dont you elaborate for me what benefit there is for me with Alex getting more money for his work?

I mean i get it. We are on a game's forum.
One of the only places in the world where logic and rationality have no meaning, and everything is built on your own ego and the level of fanboyism you can show, even if its completely mentally r***rded.
But you know....
Even so i thought that most of you could tell whether or not something is of a benefit to the author of the game you love.

Do i care whether or not Alex and the rest gets more money for his work?
I think he'd deserve it, but its not like im not gonna see a single cent of loss or profit regardless of his choices.
But hey, at least im not on the forums trying to actively white knight for why he SHOULD NOT get more money, while playing intellectual with ze "communication skills".

I’ve been playing over 30 years too and that doesn’t give me insight into game development and marketing.
Yeah i know. Some children try to learn to read for 30 years too, and they never really succeed.
Its not your fault. Dont worry about it.
For everything else, let me ask just this single thing: Is starsector good in your opinion?
Would it sell? Is it playable? How does it perform compared to other games, indie or otherwise in its current state?

Its not rocket science my dude and it has nothing to do with development or marketing.
Anyone can look at steam and see for themselves what games and developers are doing, but really, im not trying to rub it in. If you cant figure it out, then just accept the fact and move on. Much like how dyslexia wont make you any less of a person, this wont make you any less either, so cheer up.

I think Steam would add a lot of benefits in terms of exposure and revenue.
The benefits you'd get would far outweigh the risks (IMHO)
Alex could potentially use that revenue to hire a single pair of hands to help out if he wanted.

More than 10+ years of development, this game is more polished than most of the early access tripe we see on Steam.
People would take to it quite well and there will be a LOT of players who still don't know about this game and would wet themselves to play it.
Please be careful with your wild assumptions and "entitlement".
Apparently pointing out these facts is considered a taboo on the forums as im sure the god lords of dyslexia and intellectual supremacy will point it out for you.

For everything else: i hope the scalding rudeness is to everyone's taste and desire.
Not sure why a great number of people are supporting Alex in his assumption that his game is not worthy of steam, but its no skin off of my back.
Feel free to report me if your ego got scratched up in the process of reading my post. Its sadly inevitable cause as many will tell you, my "communication skills" are bad since i didnt spend enough time on improving them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 06:27:03 PM by Aerensiniac »
Pages: 1 2 [3]