Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Correlation between bounty's difficulty and distance  (Read 386 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Correlation between bounty's difficulty and distance
« on: October 08, 2022, 02:50:21 PM »

One thing that drives me absolutely batty about early game is getting bounties you can beat with your starter fleet... that are so far away it would cost more in supplies than you earn. why would i travel 30 LY across the sector for 30k? besides it taking 5m even sped up to get there, it simply isnt practical most times, or even possible many others. low end bounties should spawn without a couple LY of core at most. same with low end explore quests for that matter, give players some options that are without the fuel and supply budget of a baby pilot.

if there is a mod that does this please point me to it.

Bradley_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Correlation between bounty's difficulty and distance
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 05:39:45 PM »

Yeah, especially dump is when a run a sensor package mission has a higher reward than a bounty, at the same distance.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 06:41:00 PM »

Confirmation bias could definitely be clouding this but a lot of the bar mission military bounties (not the general deserter fleets) tend to point you to decent planets, ruins, orbital stations, and other areas of interest. Yes, they tend to be way out there but there's often something else worth going out there for.

Otherwise, I'm in agreement that bounties that are 20+ LY away from the core worlds should have some incentive pay to get you out there and back. I think it would be a really neat touch if instead of giving you extra credits, a small resupply fleet would meet you in hyperspace to refuel/resupply so you can make it back (rather than just giving you more credits). Or, perhaps, if such a resupply fleet was an option.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 12:14:49 AM »

Hrrrm, well for those tiny bounties, 20 LY is only like 100 fuel or 5k for both ways, and it can't cost more than 2k in supplies either (it doesn't take a month to fly that far). The enemy fleet also drops salvage of both supplies and fuel.

Granted it's not particularly player time efficient to do those far, early bounties unless there are several all clustered next to each other because closer bounties will pay out faster, but it is moderately profitable and usually risk free (the previous shows what solitary destroyer they have; usually just a BMII or heavily D modded enforcer).