Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Losing shouldn't be so frustrating.  (Read 541 times)

Saar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Losing shouldn't be so frustrating.
« on: February 04, 2023, 08:16:43 PM »

Before you say it, no, I don't think it should be sunshine and rainbows after losing your fleet. I just want to point out some problems I have with it.

Your escape pod saves you and you appear at a random inhabited world in the sector. If that's the case, how in the world do you lose so much money? You buy 2 ships worth maybe 30k total and end up losing 400k? How does that make sense? Also why not just let us choose what ships to buy when we get there, instead of instantly selling the trash we are forced to get. If we were robbed by our destroyers, shouldn't they have captured us? Or did they pull of a quick hack of our bank account while also obliterating our fleet? It just doesn't make any sense how we lose so much. We already have to rebuild our fleet; it just adds insult to injury. In games like 'Bannerlord' you can choose to buy an easy way out or wait until you escape or are freed. In this, you just lose everything you have regardless. I'm tired of buying ships and then immediately get killed, losing even more money. It is a vicious cycle that a lot of times requires luck to get out of. Oh sorry, you spawned next to a luddic path world or a 9th battlegroup death-fleet, guess you should either let yourself get killed, spend a storypoint, or buy every ship on the market and pray you can fight them. I wish there was at least some point to keep going, but it effectively begs you to waste resources or reload your save. It is so frustrating. I'm tired of bleeding storypoints and cash to get out of silly situations.

Also, it is annoying that retreating from combat turns off your shields. That cost me my flagship, because "oh, we are almost out, guess we don't need these silly shields anymore!"
That's all.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Losing shouldn't be so frustrating.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 03:39:51 PM »

Yup, losing battles sucks in Starsector. Most of the time it is impossible for even the ships you care about to escape once you commit to battle. And the handling for fleet wipes is a placeholder-y respawn that isn't really grounded in the gameworld.

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 07:21:54 PM »

Wished you could recover part of your fleet if you lost in a certain spot and have it orbit somewhere for a few days.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 08:50:04 PM »

Yup, losing battles sucks in Starsector. Most of the time it is impossible for even the ships you care about to escape once you commit to battle. And the handling for fleet wipes is a placeholder-y respawn that isn't really grounded in the gameworld.

I've found that usually I can retreat the majority of my forces from a battle that I'm losing If I see things going south by sacrificing a few ships, then burn a story point to run. It really depends if the battle is one thats going bad, or one that's a rout. I think making the right call of when to retreat and abandon loot is a very tough one.