Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What happened to Odyssey's?  (Read 1864 times)

MarkDMKC1974

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What happened to Odyssey's?
« on: September 30, 2022, 05:18:49 PM »

Like the title says, I have been playing several saves in a row, and have never seen ONE.

Were they taken out of the game?

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Odyssey's?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 07:33:35 PM »

No, but they are rare and only appear in certain markets.
TL;DR deez nuts

cytokine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 10:33:01 PM »

Had a peek in the files, and basically, tritach and sindra have the blueprint, but will no longer prioritize it as high as other capitals they have. Independents no longer have the blueprint. And persean league would prioritize as high as conquests, but they don't have the blueprint. So it's gonna be a rare sight.

I kinda like it being a mystery unicorn ship, but it's also kind of non-existent. It's also not in the sim list. So a new player might not be tempted to pay up for a black market odyssey, if they have no clue what they would even be getting.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 07:13:25 AM »

In counterpoint...

You see a new capital ship you've never seen before.  It's not even in the simulator lists.  You've NO IDEA what it's like.

Do you want it?  I do.  Whatever it is, even if it's crap, by virtue of its scarcity and unknownness, I want to at least try it.  I'll save before buying it, for sure, but I -will- buy it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 12:43:49 PM »

As someone who feels compelled to get all the blueprints, usually by raiding the core worlds, I eventually add Odyssey to the blueprint collection.

Aside from that, maybe a high-level pirate arms dealers in the bar can offer one, among other ships and weapons.

MarkDMKC1974

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 08:10:33 PM »

Yeah I started a new faction, took the high tech blueprints, its not on that list!

I cant even make it.

Give me a break.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 05:44:54 AM »

Most high-tech ships are on rare singleton blueprints, and many of non-phase ones are Tri-Tachyon exclusive.  Player needs to raid Culann for Odyssey if he cannot find it in salvage.

Dante

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 02:53:22 AM »

I got one in my current playthrough, and have to say it is probably my favourite ever flagship. One on one it can kill anything in the core system fleets except the Paragon, it's the fastest capital ship and has a huge amount of flexibility in how you can set it up.

See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kjw3WPhJTQ&list=PLxEFcOVVTtkrETxS8DPfjDSf-lSsA_Ca9&index=9

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 05:19:02 AM »

I think the current rarity of the Odyssey should be switched with the Paragon. Odyssey should be the primary Tri-tach Capital ship and the Paragon should be the unicorn. It’s like the Ship of the Line in Sid Meier’s: Pirates. It only comes out of one port and rarely at that. Fighting one (or piloting one) should be an achievement.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 07:09:46 AM »

I think the current rarity of the Odyssey should be switched with the Paragon. Odyssey should be the primary Tri-tach Capital ship and the Paragon should be the unicorn. It’s like the Ship of the Line in Sid Meier’s: Pirates. It only comes out of one port and rarely at that. Fighting one (or piloting one) should be an achievement.
Since you brought this up, Odyssey's blurb does describe it as rare, although not being used more by the Tri-Tach seems like a missed storytelling opportunity considering the blurb also mentions its usage by megacorps in frontier duty. Should get fixed next patch*. Paragon's blurb specifically namedrops Tri-Tach, so a player should see the hull flying their colors at least once during the gameplay, preferably too up close for comfort. All in all, both ships seem like a good fit for the upcoming Tri-Tach composition, as Oddy fits the speedy feel of Hi-tech + phase, while Paragon makes for a reliable solo anchor.

* Sauce
With the discussion of the Paragon, Odyssey, and Astral for Tri-Tachyon, will Odysseys be showing up in actual TT fleets more often?

It should, yeah. So should the Medusa.
[close]

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 08:48:24 AM »

I should have caveated that having the Astral be the go-to Capital seems more like a Tri-Tach thing to do. But, in general, I would imagine the Odyssey would be more prevalent than the Paragon for most fleet settings. It’s just more cost-effective… ;)

vok3

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 07:46:10 PM »

As I understand it, there is ONE guaranteed Odyssey in the game.  So if you want one, you can get it.

Anything beyond that one is luck.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2022, 11:32:22 PM »

I agree that Odyssey is way too rare in campaign. By the time I can get one, I don't really need it.

There is some rational for it not being too common in AI fleets though - AI can't pilot Odyssey competently anyway, both Paragon and Astral are safer bets in this regard.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 02:21:32 AM »

iirc only TT has access to the Odyssey. But TT doesn't have very big markets and also 2 other cap, meaning that they will almost never spawn a fleet with one and only rarely sell one. They sometimes show up in big TT deserter bounties. But the best way to get one i have found is to look for an arms dealer in the bars that offers big nanoforge capacity. It will cost you about a million credits then, though.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 05:51:22 AM »

Oddly, I ran into an Independent “lying in wait” merc fleet outside of a slip stream with a Paragon and 2 Odysseys. The whole fleet was pristine and had S-mods. I fought it simply because I had a good chance of getting an Odyssey.

That’s not the first time I’ve seen very powerful independent merc fleets waiting at the end of slipstreams. I’d dare say that’s the best place to find an Odyssey right now.

(I’ve also encountered more of the “sensor ghost turns into heavily d-modded remnant fleet” in the past two runs than ever before. I’ve fought like 6 of them now when I hadn’t encountered them once before.)