Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Convert your officers into mercenary officers  (Read 398 times)

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Convert your officers into mercenary officers
« on: September 28, 2022, 08:19:56 AM »

I like the idea of mercenary officers, I do. The selection just sucks and permanent officers level up reasonably quickly to outpace mercenary officers. So I thought...

why not have the option to dismiss our higher-level officers to become mercenary officers in our fleet? They're highly professional at that point when they are level 5 or 6.

It gives the option of choice too making a story point feel helpful in this scenario while also letting the player take on new officers that might have better skill distribution than your old past ones.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
Re: Convert your officers into mercenary officers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 11:52:34 AM »

Sounds like a great idea. I would love to actually honorably dismiss my officers instead of it being just a headcannon when ditching them ^^

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 11:57:09 AM »

Pretty sure this can already be done by taking Officer Training as a skill and then removing it.  Combined with Cybernetic augmentation, it can add up to a fairly beefy crop of officers.  If you have the story points to do it.

One thing I would like is for mercenary officers to exist-semi permanently.  That is, it would be nice if I could pick them up later after letting them go.  Maybe just have them appear somewhat regularly at the planet you let them go?  Or rotate between planets fairly regularly?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 06:16:18 PM »

Pretty sure this can already be done by taking Officer Training as a skill and then removing it.  Combined with Cybernetic augmentation, it can add up to a fairly beefy crop of officers.  If you have the story points to do it.
It is, but I think the OP wants that feature available directly instead of jumping through hoops and bleeding more story points than necessary.

Similar idea for swapping s-mods through BotB toggling, except with officers and relevant skills.  Both direct officer-to-merc conversion and direct s-mod removal/swap features should be available.