Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Level cap to 20?  (Read 4611 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Level cap to 20?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2022, 08:09:00 AM »

If you are allergic to shipyard repairs derelict is the way to go, take a look at maintenance/recovery costs of heavily d-modded ships.
Add field repairs and losses do not really matter, combat will be profitable.
I know Derelict Ops reduce combat and campaign costs.  Does not matter because I do not want clunkers in my fleet if I can help it.  It probably would need to be overpowered like the older tank version of the skill for me to think about overlooking ugly d-mods.

I get Hull Restoration because it too avoids shipyard repairs to an extent (prevents d-mods sometimes and removes few at a time).  It also has the side bonus of boosting max CR, so it is a consolation prize if I cannot get Leadership.  I consider Crew Training mandatory for some ships (especially Ziggurat and Radiant with Beta+ core), and if I cannot get it because I get too many other skills, at least Hull Restoration can double as Crew Training of sorts.

In previous releases, I did not mind scuttling ships and rebuilding them at Orbital Works, but that is not really an option once s-mods or exotic/limited ships get involved.

I get Field Repairs on the way to Ordnance Expert (more flux is good) and Polarized Armor (faster venting feels great for flagship).  Would like to get Bulk Transport at times to speed up civilians on the map, but I never take it now.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 05:54:02 PM »

if you don't wanna lose ships but also don't want to put points on the skills that prevent loss of ships on destruction why not just install reinforced bulkheads? Far as i know S-modded ships get that protection too.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 06:01:51 PM »

if you don't wanna lose ships but also don't want to put points on the skills that prevent loss of ships on destruction why not just install reinforced bulkheads? Far as i know S-modded ships get that protection too.
Reinforced Bulkheads neither prevents nor removes d-mods.

The only hullmod that has some of the d-mod prevention of Hull Restoration is Rugged Construction, which is a builtin-only hullmod on shieldless ships.

As for ship recovery, officers, s-mods, and Hull Restoration also guarantee recovery, but only Hull Restoration prevents or fixes d-mods.

If I did not care about d-mods, I might think about Derelict Operations, but I do not tolerate d-mods in my fleet.  If I have d-mods in my fleet after early game, it is because Hull Restoration is busy removing them one at a time.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 03:23:12 AM »

Reinforced Bulkheads neither prevents nor removes d-mods.

The only hullmod that has some of the d-mod prevention of Hull Restoration is Rugged Construction, which is a builtin-only hullmod on shieldless ships.

As for ship recovery, officers, s-mods, and Hull Restoration also guarantee recovery, but only Hull Restoration prevents or fixes d-mods.

If I did not care about d-mods, I might think about Derelict Operations, but I do not tolerate d-mods in my fleet.  If I have d-mods in my fleet after early game, it is because Hull Restoration is busy removing them one at a time.
You should try eventually to just not care about D-mods. It's a pretty liberating experience.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 05:51:51 AM »

The YouTube slayer fleets (that usually have high Leadership) do not have d-mods unless it is a Derelict Operations build.

D-mods often hurt too much to simply not care about.  Ship hulls were balanced on being pristine.  In earlier releases, there were no d-mods at all, and they were tacked on later.

Not caring for d-mods seems like taking the path toward Derelict Operations.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 08:38:04 AM »

D-mods are fine early but as you progress, you find that bounty fleets and faction fleets lack them. But, by that time you should have the means to restore or purchase a pristine version of the hull. Or get Hull Restoration.

Honestly, beelining Hull Restoration early allows you to fix up all your ships and take on recovered craft at the stage of the game where it matters most. After a while, you can respec out of it. Alternatively, respec into it during an exploration phase and fix all your ships passively, all for a single story point.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 09:31:36 AM »

Honestly, beelining Hull Restoration early allows you to fix up all your ships and take on recovered craft at the stage of the game where it matters most. After a while, you can respec out of it. Alternatively, respec into it during an exploration phase and fix all your ships passively, all for a single story point.
Yeah, a few points in industry helps with starting out a lot.
Relying on restoration to fix up an entire fleet will take a while, that's a bit less practical IMO.

D-mods often hurt too much to simply not care about.  Ship hulls were balanced on being pristine.  In earlier releases, there were no d-mods at all, and they were tacked on later.
Don't need pristine ships to clear the game even without derelict, and early on the reduced maintenance can even be a net gain (quite a few ship-dmod combos mostly boil down to -5% max CR).
In earlier releases you didn't get s-mods that most enemies don't, that's a massive advantage.
IMO you are too fixated on the assumptions you started with, you don't see dmods in other player's demo fleets because later on it's really easy to avoid/fix them and getting restoration just for that would be pointless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 10:45:28 AM »

In earlier releases you didn't get s-mods that most enemies don't, that's a massive advantage.
Not really with Loadout Design or its predecessors (like Technology aptitude when there was aptitude points) in older releases, at least 0.65 or later.  s-mods is practically the Loadout Design replacement except for different cost.

IMO you are too fixated on the assumptions you started with, you don't see dmods in other player's demo fleets because later on it's really easy to avoid/fix them and getting restoration just for that would be pointless.
Restoring is easy if the player has lots of money.  But if I want to fight because of money (grind human bounties for about 300k a pop), then having ships die is to be avoided if the only way the player can get his ships back in pristine condition (because of s-mods or cannot be bought/built) is Restore.  If I lose two cruisers or a capital, restoring the ships will cost more than the bounty.
Pages: 1 [2]