Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Someone make a combat tutorial please!  (Read 485 times)

CptZoom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Someone make a combat tutorial please!
« on: September 25, 2022, 08:54:17 PM »

The game's combat tutorial is lacking. I've done it several times and still can't figure out combat. I wish someone would actually make a combat tutorial detailing the basics of combat and making suggestions for new players. I absolutely hate combat in this game, mainly because I can't understand it. Again, if you feel up to the task, this might be a good youtube video for the community. Also, I've checked out what's there already and nothing is really a tutorial, more of a "you know the basics already" type of guide.

CptZoom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Someone make a combat tutorial please!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 09:28:06 PM »

So I saw Cheese Sanvich made a combat tutorial that was nearly two hours long. I started watching it and realized nearly half the video was dedicated to hull mods and such. I watched the first hour and it was actually a very good tutorial on combat. I feel like I have a better understanding, flying still sucks so bad though. That will take getting used to.

cytokine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 12:45:15 AM »

Enabling turn-to-cursor from the start would probably help a new player IMO. Makes movement feel less like a toddler on a ice rink.

So, in your experience, what was the game not giving info about? Do you mean more info about controls, like on https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Piloting ? Or maybe info on mechanics, like 'use kinetics against shields'. Perhaps hints on ship counters?

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 08:12:18 AM »

To be fair, I’d wager 80% of fights are determined before the ships even meet. Loadouts are far more important than twitch-reflexes as evidenced by the number of players that are consistently successful putting the flagship on autopilot the whole game.

That being said, good piloting makes a good ship great and a great ship ridiculous. I’m pretty good at piloting but there are folks that can wipe whole fleets with frigates. To me, it comes down to positioning, not over-extending, exploiting the AI’s tendencies, and again, carefully constructed loadouts.

Flux management is paramount but so is being willing to take hits on hull when the occasion calls for it. If you have speed, you control the engagement (it’s like having the wind gauge in the age of sail). If you’re bigger and stronger, you tend to have a range advantage. So range and speed become the great fulcrums on which most battles hinge, though any ship that can instantly win a flux war (i.e. flux free missiles) can instantly win a single engagement. Sometimes that’s all you need to snowball a fight.

Gah. Makes me want to write a tutorial but I don’t have time to do a video.