Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Allow Restore to Remove Individual D-Mods  (Read 544 times)

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Allow Restore to Remove Individual D-Mods
« on: September 28, 2022, 10:00:43 PM »

Currently Restoring a ship is all-or-nothing, i.e. either you remove all of the d-mods, or you leave them all in place. But sometimes I don't mind one of the d-mods but only want another one removed. Some of the d-mods aren't necessarily all that bad and there are some side effects that are fine (such as reduced supply use). Not to mention, sometimes, removing all the d-mods is too expensive while I could afford to remove one or two at a time.

In the current system, it basically becomes a game of roulette as to whether or not you hit the jackpot of d-mods that you can work with, versus having one in there that really suck for that particular ship. This encourages save scumming to get the "right" d-mods, or to reload if you had some okay ones but then get a "wrong" one. It would be better if the player could pick and choose which d-mods to remove individually.

As a side note, I feel like 20% less supply per d-mod is a bit too strong, I feel like 10% less supply is more right. When I happen to get a ship with 4 d-mods that all don't really affect the ship's performance, I basically only have to use 41% of its supply to recover after battle, while it didn't affect the ship's performance that much, which feels too powerful.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Allow Restore to Remove Individual D-Mods
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 01:32:13 AM »

Iirc, the d-mods giving such a noticeable reduction to recovery costs is exactly because you have to deal with them all, or either scrap/repair the ship.

Originally I was really keen on this premise, because fixing stuff one broken thing at a time is exactly how you do it when you have no money.
It makes sense. And getting rid of stuff you don't like & keeping stuff you don't care about for the savings seems p. cool.
But playing through a few (dozen) games trying to deliberately use d-mods has given me the realisation that they don't really matter as much as some would insist.
To be honest the only d-mod worth caring about at all is "Ill Advised" which isn't random.
And being able to cherry-pick that away from the ships that have it would just make them strictly better than any other option in thier respective class.

While it would be nice to be able to pick and choose, you'd have to reduce the positive effects from d-mods to balance it.
Doing that would remove a big part of what makes d-mod fleets work - being able to use bigger & more expensive ships earlier, or just more ships in general.
And I don't think that's worth the trade off.

cytokine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 02:08:09 AM »

I agree that the player should have more control over ship restoration. The high base cost as well as it being all-or-nothing is something I've found contrived and un-immersive.

There are two potential issues I see with the change. Since there are upsides to d-mods, it could incentivize some weird strategies, like getting your ship blown up deliberately grinding for the right d-mods. Now, if there where hullmods that had a similar effect to d-mods, and if unspent OP reduced maintenance, there would be no incentive to make d-mods happen. Suppose you don't like the increased gas usage of using your car AC. Then you wouldn't just shoot at it until it broke. You just wouldn't turn it on, or would uninstall it. So hullmods for stripping ships down to essentials should be the better economy option.

The second issue I see, is that it could 'un-gamify' the early-game process of buying the ship that has the least ill-fitting d-mods. Which is something I've found interesting. When you can't pick and choose, and all you can get are beaten-up freighters and pirate ships, then you have to pick the hull where the d-mods don't degrade the attributes that are crucial for that kind of ship. And having fine-grained control over restoration would lessen the impact of that choice.

However, at that point in the game, you're also low on credits, and needing the ship right then and there. So the cost penalty for restoration would preserve some impact of the purchasing choice. I think having the restoration take time would be an interesting mechanic. With each removed d-mod taking several weeks, and then having the ship delivered, like with the arms-dealer delivery. So buying some pirate wolf with a glitched sensor array, and just keeping it that way, would make sense if you're broke and in a hurry.

Planets having varying capabilities of restoring hulls would be pretty neat too, if the difference could be both conveyed and reasonably predicted. So it would be worthwhile taking a d-modded Aurora to Culann for restoration, rather than to some backwater, Culann knowing the blueprint and having high ship quality bonus giving a significant improvement to cost and speed of restoration.

koprus

• Ensign
  • Just noob mercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 07:48:53 AM »

Would be nice to visit your colony garage mechanics and tell them what u want repaired from the ship. Cant see why they dont want or cant do it. Its 2022.