Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Game needs an 'Admiral Mode'  (Read 782 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Game needs an 'Admiral Mode'
« on: September 25, 2022, 04:14:23 AM »

it is fun to take control of a ship and fly it about. and in small battles one skilled pilot can certainly make the difference (i imagine anyway, i suck at piloting XD). however, when multiple capital ships are on the field, and supporting fleets, one individual ship simply doesnt matter that much. if anything, focusing on one can easily cost you the larger battle as you miss the bigger picture and get flanked or somesuch. sure, sure, pausing when opening the tactical view mitigates this, but it is way harder to navigate the field to see what is going on than it needs to be. also i think this mode would make the game a lot more enjoyable to a broader spectrum of people; i imagine there are a lot of people who would love the exploration, empire building, rpg elements, ship tinkering, and everything else but are turned off by the focus in combat on your ship and expectation you are flying it. tbh, if i couldnt set my flagship on auto i would never have actually gotten into the game, because piloting is by far my least favorite aspect of it.

my proposal... an option to start each fight in either captain mode (what we have now), or admiral. and my vision for 'admiral mode' goes something like this.

• ability to select any of your ships to get the full ship status in the bottom left like you can for what you are piloting
  • ability to target any enemy ship on screen for full info regardless of proximity to your flagship, and without modifying ship behavior
  • ability to pan the camera freely within range of ANY of your ships, without needing to anchor it any specific one
  • faster command point generation or longer command point duration in exchange for not being able to manually pilot for the fight
  • strategies on sliders to change during the battle (with command points), such as overall aggression, retreat hull threshold, and how free to be with limited ammo
  • minimap of the tactical stage
  • option to slow down time to better see the flow of battle (perhaps costing command points)
  • my characters portrait on the ship he is flying in the same style as your captains

edit - shoulda put this in suggestions i guess
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:25:00 AM by Stormy Fairweather »

Thogapotomus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Game needs an 'Admiral Mode'
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 08:26:11 AM »

This really doesn't need a separate mode. Most of these should just be how it works, minus the command point caveat. Command points should really just be done away with, honestly. It doesn't really impact me, but it just seems like a truly pointless design.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 09:49:19 PM »

i agree. but command points are a mechanic and i didnt want to suggest removing one

bodeshmoun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 07:01:53 PM »

I would add the ability to make formations with ships.
My command point are lacking because the line cruiser of my fleet wander to go after a frigate, want to go the other side of a strong point (capital, station), or just decide to clump together (then push the ship in difficulty toward the enemy, cutting line of fire )
Or I just does not understand how to correctly control them ?