Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Cannot use ship special ability (f) while accelerating (w)  (Read 245 times)

callitri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Cannot use ship special ability (f) while accelerating (w)
« on: September 24, 2022, 02:10:13 PM »

I have this strange issue , which i just noticed , when ever i want to use my ships special ability it work if i am pressing w , meaning if i am accelerating , i never noticed this before , looked in setting havent found anything , it is fairly anoying and i dont know what brought it up , tried the  usual things reloaded restarted etc.
Any ideas what causes this and how to fix it?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot use ship special ability (f) while accelerating (w)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »

Hmm - this sounds like it might be a keyboard issue. Many keyboards for example only register at most two key presses out of any square of 4 keys - for example, out of QWAS, the keyboard can not pick up more than two keys being down simultaneously; this - afaik - is a hardware limitation. You can see this behavior by opening a text file, holding down Q (which'll keep typing on repeat), then adding W (it should switch to repeat-typing W), and then adding S - it'll stop typing at that point, until you let go of one of the keys.

W and F being mutually exclusive sounds unusual since the keys aren't next to each other and it's only two keys besides, but that's the only sort of thing that comes to mind for me; there's nothing I can think of in the game that could cause this behavior.

callitri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 06:28:35 PM »

Thanks for the reply its funny i have a steelseries mouse and keyboard never had problems with them , tested the mentioned keyes outside in a notepad no problems , i restarted my pc and now it works so something bugged out in it but what i dont know , important is that it works :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 07:15:53 PM »

Ah! Glad that did it, surprising the weird things that can clear up :)