Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: dominator vs eagle 1v1  (Read 1410 times)

spazza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
dominator vs eagle 1v1
« on: September 23, 2022, 10:49:55 PM »

is it news that the eagle kicks dominators ass or is the ingame simulator not very accurate? my eagle class can facetank a dominator to death and from its reputation i expected the dominators to be chonky

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: dominator vs eagle 1v1
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 11:00:33 PM »

Keep in mind that, one, some of the variants in the simulator are really bad, and, two, sim opponents don't get skills - so if you go into the sim with a skilled pilot, that's not really going to be representative of how an actual fight would go.

Even without using a skilled pilot, though, there are often cases where at first test it looks like ship A beats ship B - but additional testing shows that ship B also beats ship A. Player piloting ability makes a difference.

(And, for the record, I'd say that the Dominator is significantly better than the Eagle.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

cytokine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 03:30:40 AM »

So what were the loadouts?

A particular 22p ship variant beating a 25p variant is pretty normal. It would be a pretty boring game if DP values determined everything. Just don't try anything out against the dominator with the gauss cannons.. cuz it sucks vs anything.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 06:05:10 AM »

A good Dominator loadout will crush AI Eagle, at least one without skill and s-mod advantages (and not using SO).  Gauss Dominator in the simulator is probably the toughest cruiser for AI ships in the simulator.  It exploits the weaknesses of cowardly AI behavior well.

spazza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 10:18:06 AM »

A particular 22p ship variant beating a 25p variant is pretty normal. It would be a pretty boring game if DP values determined everything. Just don't try anything out against the dominator with the gauss cannons.. cuz it sucks vs anything.

dominator loadout was the one in the top right of the simulator selection, and my eagle had 3 assault chainguns, 2 sabot srms, 2 tactical lasers, a mining blaster, 2 ir pulse lasers, and various point defense weapons, 1 burst pd 2 lr pd and 2 mining lasers.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 10:24:14 AM »

I mean even a hound can beat a dominator if it can flank it.

Speed and manoeuvrability is very strong in star sector and some ships are more vulnerable then others to it's effects.

Dominators do extremely well when their flanks are protected, but can be easily hard countered by anything with an anti-armour weapon if flanked.

I mean there is even a scenario battle that has a couple high tech ships killing a battleship on their own, which is possible because of low techs general weaknesses.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 10:41:25 AM »

dominator loadout was the one in the top right of the simulator selection, and my eagle had 3 assault chainguns, 2 sabot srms, 2 tactical lasers, a mining blaster, 2 ir pulse lasers, and various point defense weapons, 1 burst pd 2 lr pd and 2 mining lasers.
Did you have any skills or S-mods? Also, were you using safety overrides?

spazza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 10:49:17 AM »

[/quote]
Did you have any skills or S-mods? Also, were you using safety overrides?
[/quote]
nope just automated repair systems and augmented drive systems

spazza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 11:02:10 AM »

i have realised im a dummy and i was 1v1ing the support dominator, i tested against the next assault variant and i still won but it was more of a fight

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 01:13:02 AM »

i have realised im a dummy and i was 1v1ing the support dominator, i tested against the next assault variant and i still won but it was more of a fight

Uh...if you mean that you are personally controlling the Eagle then yes, player-piloted ships can easily defeat ships of greater DP that's under AI control. In fact practicing against sim opponents is a good way to get started on getting better at piloting your ship and figuring out how combat works.

cytokine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 01:29:59 AM »

Gauss Dominator in the simulator is probably the toughest cruiser for AI ships in the simulator.  It exploits the weaknesses of cowardly AI behavior well.

So I tried it a few times vs Elite champion, and it was about as bad as I remembered. The champion would vent in its face, and by the time it was finished, the poor Dominator had fluxed itself with its Gauss guns, then proceeded to get nuked or zapped. But on one attempt, the champion got stuck in 'backing-off mode' and got plinked to death. So I see where you're coming from. It's not putting Gauss cannons on Dominators that's the issue, but rather the dominator being unable to punish/deter venting. Didn't Pilums do 500 explosive pre-0.95? Maybe that was a credible enough threat to deter venting. The loadout seemed to be out of date.

I figured triple Harpoons would do well on a support class, but the AI would just spam away the harpoons for nothing. Not a behaviour I've ever seen with other ships.
Triple breach was effective, but did not deter the opponent from venting. So I tried one typhoon, and that pretty much did it. Adding two breach pods seemed to help it too. This new variant could actually solo the hellbore dominator, as well as champion_Elite, which was very impressive! It does however get hard-countered by shield-shunted dominators and champions. Not that that's a thing you would ever run into.

tldr, Gauss dominators would not be a joke with a few nukes.

Oh, and here's the loadout ...
Spoiler
[close]

[attachment deleted by admin]