Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leadership: Tactical Drills  (Read 581 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Leadership: Tactical Drills
« on: September 23, 2022, 09:07:59 AM »

Tactical Drills is a skill I do not use. 5% damage, even across dozens of ships, just doesn’t seem as useful as other early Skills, even if it’s a decent choice in a vacuum. The other piece is that it’s just not that interesting, or should I say, it could be more interesting.

My first thought is to keep the base +5% damage bonus (with DP cap) but add an additional 5% (with DP cap) per captured point in battle. This does a few things: it makes you want to command and control points on the map, it creates an impetus to have ships that steal points mid-battle (i.e. frigates) even in endgame fleets, and it forces players to potentially spread their forces out to maintain the damage bonus.

Alternatively, make the initial bonus much higher but the drop off much sooner. Imagine if it was a base value of +50% but begins to drop off after 20 DP or some lowish number. It would help early game fleets with a large bonus but drop off rapidly to 10% around 100 DP. By 240 DP, it’s back to 5% and dropping. It would also help players trying to maximize their flagship/solo-play. I think we have too few options to do that.

I definitely like #1 over #2 but thought I’d toss them both out there.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Leadership: Tactical Drills
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 09:33:21 AM »

Looking at the skill, its main use is for raiding.  In a way, it is like a Technology/Industry campaign skill.  There were times I wanted Tactical Drills just for stronger marines.

If I do not want to use officers at all, Tactical Drills is an auto-pick because it is one of the four no-officer skills on the way to Support Doctrine.

Tactical Drills may not need more damage.  If it needs a buff, then the damage decay from exceeding DP pool should be removed.  Having less than 5% because I brought too many ships looks weak.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 09:38:38 AM by Megas »