Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Refit screen rework!  (Read 745 times)

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
Refit screen rework!
« on: September 20, 2022, 02:57:04 PM »

I've seen a lot of people express a desire for the refit screen to be reworked / changed in a number of ways, though I've not actually seen anyone give suggestions for what a reworked refit screen would look like, so I sat down for like an hour and (jankily) made a (very) barebones mockup!

the basic idea for these is to give the UI more space to breathe & have more space for often-suggested stuff that it currently just doesn't, like in-depth filters for weapons & hullmods

(also note : both of these are done in 2560 * 1440 at 100% ui scaling, I've not accounted for different resolutions but that'll be another roadblock to implementation)

large image, weapon section of the refit screen
[close]
this first image is just the weapon selection portion of the screen, mainly showing off what I mean by "giving the UI more space to breathe"- I've made the margins around the UI roughly equal on every side; I basically just like how it looked, even without the space allocated for extra buttons.

as for the randomly coloured squares, the red / yellow is for where I'd put the "weapon filter" buttons, with a scrollbar on one side to pack more options in the same area (say, put the more important stuff like damage type / range at the top, then consign design type or similar to the pits of the scrollzone)
the specific difference between red / yellow is that yellow's extra space that'd need that section of buttons to be moved out of the way (and say under the ship?) to really be used, though if you're making a big change like this one why not go all the way?

as for the blue square - that's more or less "all the area that the hullmod readout should take up", I feel like it takes up less space than that but I could be completely wrong there

large image, hullmod section of the refit screen
[close]
for the hullmod selection portion I'd basically make the same changes as I did to the weapon selection bit - move the tags into the dark red box to allow more of them to be shown at once (and maybe add a text input field so we can search for them by name), then extend the actual selector box so that it takes up the full dark green area, again letting more stuff be shown at once

Hopefully this is all fairly understandable, I understand that most of this'll probably not get implemented (after all, the refit screen already works really well, this would just make it "better" (and would probably be a massive headache to implement given how old this portion of the UI is)), so this is mostly a wishlist of stuff from a fairly veteran player- but if one thing could make it in, I'd want it to be the narrower margins around the edges, they really make (at least, looking at it) way nicer.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:31:57 AM by Ruddygreat »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Refit screen rework!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 03:43:29 PM »

This would be great. 

I get not wanting to mess with this Alex since it's mostly a problem for mods, but would it be possible for the weapons listing to expose/create some methods that take a filter and apply it to the list?  With that it would be possible for mods to directly render some controls in the UI (although it would be some work).

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 05:44:34 PM »

Minimum supported resolution is 1280x768. The margins get tight, like the hullmods window goes over the whole screen.

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 10:24:30 AM »

Minimum supported resolution is 1280x768. The margins get tight, like the hullmods window goes over the whole screen.

This! I would also suggest doing your mockups using one of the default resolution options, not with custom settings.

1280x800
    1280x960
    1280x1024
    1440x900
    1680x1050
    1920x1080

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 11:33:43 AM »

yeah, it makes sense to try this out as well so I did & I still think that it's a viable change for lower resolutions as well (and also made me realise why the current UI is the way that it is; it perfectly fits a 1280 * 768 screen)

This! I would also suggest doing your mockups using one of the default resolution options, not with custom settings.

2560 * 1440 is supported by the game, it goes all the way up to 4k with no issues

(same colourscheme as mentioned in my OP for the boxes)

less large image, weapon selection again
[close]
I'll note that I didn't fully zoom in so the red box probably needs to be smaller, but the "basic" addition of filters shouldn't clutter the UI too much, hopefully.
(also not included the yellow extra bit, moving that block of buttons would leave no space for stuff in the bottom right of the UI)

less large image, hullmod selection again
[close]
and the hullmod screen is mostly the same, moving the tags over to that currently-unused section of the screen above the ship selector feels like a fairly natural thing, it's not like that portion of the screen is being used for anything anyway (and this could still be applied to higher resolutions, it's the same thing there).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 11:35:55 AM by Ruddygreat »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 12:49:55 PM »

Red box is covering the fighter wings area.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 01:02:58 PM »

I actually think the HullMod picker is great, it supports sorting and filtering already. 
Only change I would make is to add a "Recently used" area (or tag???)

Just have the weapon filter use that area, sort of like how the hull mod picker takes over the screen.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 02:07:36 PM »

Recently used in the hullmod picker would be great! I am frequently in campaign applying the same hullmod to several ships at a time after I've unlocked something good or bought several ships at the same time.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 03:00:06 PM »

... lmao I completely forgot about that, though yeah nick's suggestion of toggling between the two would work