Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hyperspace Storms QOL Mod  (Read 5587 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspace Storms QOL Mod
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 11:16:54 AM »

but its so boringly obvious that hyperspace storms add more annoyance than engaging gameplay that it might be more fun to discuss changing them for the better, rather than pretending that they're fine.
To you, maybe, but that doesn't make your opinion fact.

Fact is, I like that not only is there an obstacle I have to decide whether to engage or avoid, but I find it extra enjoyable that I can not only negate that, but turn it to an advantage.

And the mere existence of that opinion disproves your blanket statement.

Vanarion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2022, 02:46:33 PM »

I follow the discussion about hyperstorms for quite a while now.
It all comes down to: Some hate them and don't think they're anything else but an annoyance. Others think they add something valueable to otherwise boring space travel. And others (like myself) don't care.

IMO there is a solution for that. Make the environmental things deactivable options via the settings. I think we're all grown up and can decide for ourselfs what suits us.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 03:45:16 PM »

IGNORE ME (Where tf is the delete button?)

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2022, 04:22:00 PM »

I follow the discussion about hyperstorms for quite a while now.
It all comes down to: Some hate them and don't think they're anything else but an annoyance. Others think they add something valueable to otherwise boring space travel. And others (like myself) don't care.

IMO there is a solution for that. Make the environmental things deactivable options via the settings. I think we're all grown up and can decide for ourselfs what suits us.
Well, I think it'd be interesting to have it be a setting when you generate the sector. Right by the sector 'Age' and 'Size', there would be a 'Storm' option which would give you several types of hyperspace storms for your upcoming game. 'Spread Out' (current vanilla), 'Concentrated' (small condensed clouds that are spread apart, but have extremely powerful and damaging storms), etc.

Something to consider in the future.

Ahueh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2022, 01:17:40 PM »

but its so boringly obvious that hyperspace storms add more annoyance than engaging gameplay that it might be more fun to discuss changing them for the better, rather than pretending that they're fine.

Fact is, I like that not only is there an obstacle I have to decide whether to engage or avoid, but I find it extra enjoyable that I can not only negate that, but turn it to an advantage.

The existence of an exception does not disprove the rule. There are people that "enjoy" flying around smuggling goods, completing delivery contracts and never engaging in combat - doesn't mean that the smuggling/trading aspect of this game is good in any sense - it just means that there are some bizarre people out in the world. Nothing wrong with that, but they aren't the majority - and from a utilitarian game design perspective, they shouldn't be catered to.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2022, 02:46:10 PM »

The existence of an exception does not disprove the rule. There are people that "enjoy" flying around smuggling goods, completing delivery contracts and never engaging in combat - doesn't mean that the smuggling/trading aspect of this game is good in any sense - it just means that there are some bizarre people out in the world. Nothing wrong with that, but they aren't the majority - and from a utilitarian game design perspective, they shouldn't be catered to.
And neither are you the majority.

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2022, 11:45:02 AM »

Check out Hyperdrive: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17157.0

It lets you do long-range jumps from point to point, greatly reducing the amount of time you spend navigating storms.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Mazrim

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2022, 05:53:37 AM »

In their current form hyperspace storms add NOTHING of value to the game. Imagine you're playing The Witcher 3, and every time Geralt says "Winds howling..." "Storm's coming....", your stupid horse is blown off course and you have to fight the controls just to go in a straight line to the next town. Frustrating mechanics under a thin veneer of world building does nothing for me, sorry. Either rework Hyperspace Storms entirely or remove them and build the supply cost directly into travel distance.

This is such a bad take I broke down and made an account rather than lurk more.

Starsector is not a game where everything or anything is "Safe and Sunny." You have plenty of options to deal with Storms. For starters, you could not burn hard through them. Sure it takes longer to get somewhere. You could Yoloburn through them. Throw Solar Shielding on everything.

Or as suggested, learn how the storms work and use them to your advantage. Hell, you can use them to gank convoys, detachments, etc. nearly risk free when running dark.

Storms are a mechanic just like eating pulsar damage from a Pulsar is. And Pulsars are far, FAR more annoying.

Bobwolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2023, 02:35:55 PM »

Pulsar are very rare. Hyperspace are everywhere.
I think hyperspace should be in the far corner of your galaxy. But there is no option in the game to adjust them. They are just everywhere

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2023, 08:28:09 PM »

I just turn on Stormrider (UNGP) and use them as a boost pad. It's pretty fun surfing through storms without having to worry about your entire fleet disintegrating.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Etherimp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2023, 02:06:26 PM »

If I'm being honest I'd appreciate if Clouds/Nebula/Deep Hyperspace and Hyperspace Storms were dialed back about 30%. I don't mind "Terrain" and obstacles in hyperspace as it makes things more interesting, but overall it's a little much the way it is.
Pages: 1 [2]