Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Bass sounds in the game a bit high  (Read 513 times)

Festivejelly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Bass sounds in the game a bit high
« on: September 11, 2022, 07:53:43 AM »

Im really struggling in my current playthrough. I never remember the bass in the game being so loud. I had to turn the music right off and some of the other sounds like engines and weapons have far too much bass. Is there a way to lower this? Its making my ears bleed. I dont have any problems with other games, so I dont think its my headset.

cytokine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Bass sounds in the game a bit high
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 08:47:21 AM »

I've turned the music on and off intermittently, but it's usually the 'dramatic horns blaring' that does it for me, if we're referring to the same thing. Also, some low frequency humming, like an engine sound, gets a bit too much sometimes. I've also tried tuning the bass down on the amp, but it's not helping much. So yeah, +1 from me.

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 10:38:11 AM »

I admit that there are a few faction tracks where the bass is too loud and am happy to report that this has already been addressed and will be improved in the next update.

Balancing intermittent, loud bass sounds in combat is maybe going to see some improvement as well at some future point, but the problem is unfortunately not something that can ever be completely solved. The audio engine the game is built on doesn't really support dynamically keeping specific frequency ranges in check, so large battles with lots of stuff going on can on occasion sound very boomy. :-\
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 10:41:24 AM by StianStark »
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 01:35:51 PM »

I'd at least like to hear the volume on the main menu music get reined in. It gets way too loud at one point compared to the rest of it.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 03:10:24 PM »

I appreciate a dynamic track but yeah, that brass fanfare is a bit much for a background track, as game music is essentially background music. Would be fine for a trailer, for example. Watched FilthyRobot recently get into Starsector streams and he mentioned this, probably because he tried to talk over it. ;)

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 01:11:24 PM »

The main menu track will have small tweaks in the next update along with many faction tracks as well.
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark