Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: realism  (Read 4229 times)

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
realism
« on: September 11, 2022, 04:36:56 AM »

there isnt a lot of realism at least if the player is your average parsean sector admiral or captain, i has looking at the salaries and found out that each crewman makes 10 credits per month, and they are working on  a spaceship! imagine someone living in a colony what are they making? 2 credits a month? i just did an easy pirate bounty for 47k, it would take the poor crewman 391 years of working to get that. HOW da heck is the player making so much money? and how do the factions and people who pay for missions have this type of income, i also would like to see more smaller cheaper ships for civilians so that at least it would be realistic, like a easy pirate fleet with 4 small frigates with 4 d mods may be to hard for some cheap 500-1k civilian ship that a bunch of friends managed to buy but that doesnt exist, right now the game feels extremly unrealistic.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: realism
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 04:58:09 AM »

I don't think the game was ever advertised as something ultra realistic, like an immersive sim or alike.
Please don't take me too seriously.

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 05:01:20 AM »

I don't think the game was ever advertised as something ultra realistic, like an immersive sim or alike.
im saying not ultra realistic, im saying realistic or semi-realistic, i dont think that for my crewman to make 47k he needs to work 391 years is believeable if 47k is so easy to make, the fact that he will never be able to get that money because he cant even afford the shietest of ships, speaks a lot. apart if you consider someone making the equivalent of 0,0001$ a month fair by today standards.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 05:20:45 AM »

10 credits a month!? If anything, they are severely over-payed! Let's set some standards here: A Vulcan cannon cost 200 credits. Now a Vulcan is a shipboard rapid-fire close-in anti missile/fighter cannon, a close real-life equivalent is the Phalanx CIWS. One Phalanx costs about 10 million$. So, assuming that the cost of these weapon systems are comparable, a crewman would make the equivalent of 500.000$ a month!
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 05:33:13 AM »

10 credits a month!? If anything, they are severely over-payed! Let's set some standards here: A Vulcan cannon cost 200 credits. Now a Vulcan is a shipboard rapid-fire close-in anti missile/fighter cannon, a close real-life equivalent is the Phalanx CIWS. One Phalanx costs about 10 million$. So, assuming that the cost of these weapon systems are comparable, a crewman would make the equivalent of 500.000$ a month!
thats not how i make the counts, you need to take into account cost of manufacture also we are in the future a CIWS is probably a piece of *** and obsulute by that time, its the equivalent of buying some bow or sword, soo no they arent overpayed, also is a vulcan expensive to you?no?then you are extremly overpayed

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 10:20:47 AM »

The player is effectively the head of a corporation that employs hundreds of people (more or less, depending on the stage of the game). The amount of money that a corporation gets for contracts is vastly different than what an individual gets, and the amount that private military contracts garner is higher still. Even for an 'easy' pirate bounty, we're talking about the effort of about a hundred people for several weeks with a high chance of death and significant risk to capital investment (as Megas is fond of pointing out, losing a single ship sort of costs an entire contract (it doesn't thanks to amelioration after recovery, but mercenaries can fool others by presenting the sticker cost)). In terms of realism: hundreds of billions of USD were spent on private military contracts in recent wars; the gpd/capita in afganistan is 508 USD, in iraq is 4200.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 11:22:13 AM »

To be fair, I imagine serving on a ship gives a lot of hazard pay. Those guys die at the drop of a hat.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 11:42:15 AM »

I've always taken it as Credits being a currency for intercolonial trade, not something you'd buy a pack of toilet paper for. I imagine that each colony has at least one local currency. Though seeing how cryptos are used in real life, I wouldn't be surprised if inhabitants of Tri-Tach worlds were used to buying TP for some millionth of a Credit.

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 12:48:20 PM »

You can edit crew wages in the config files.

I did sort of feel a bit similar and bumped up crew and officer salaries, but damn does running a fleet get expensive quick. I do like it though because it does make decisions on how much crew you keep on with you a bit more important, as well as actually having a reason to use blast doors to keep the low numbers you have alive for longer instead of just having hundreds of spare crew.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 02:10:29 PM »

Is 10 a lot?  Depends on the thing.

Kuwaiti Dinars?  A decent chunk of change (~$32 USD equivalent)

Iranian Rials?  May as well be nothing at all.  (~$0.00024 USD equivalent)

One of the issues with declaring that the small number for crew income is unrealistic (besides the prior observation that Star Sector simply isn't a sim) is that we don't have actually any good references to the effective purchasing power of 1 credit for the average Star Sector crewman, or even a civillian.  Perhaps you could compare something like the cost of food to a crewman's income, but there's a problem with that:  The commercial goods you purchase are all sold in bulk, sold for tens to hundreds of credits per cargo capacity.

And what is one cargo capacity?  We don't know that either, other than a few bits of insight, such that some military equipment (large weapons, for instance) are so large that they can take up multiple units of cargo capacity.  We don't even know which capacity it's measuring: Is Cargo Capacity a function of available mass or volume for a ship?  It's the same story with Antimatter fuel and capacity, for that matter.  Pretty much the only parameter that is spelled out is colony size, measured on a 10^X scale, and I absolutely would not be surprised if that is also axed eventually and replaced by a single abstract number.

So is 10 credits a little or a lot?  For the protagonist of the game (effectively a freelance fleet admiral), it's pocket change.  For large governments in the Persean sector like the Hegemony it's certainly not even that; they must make a killing on those insane trade tariffs alone!  What about for Jane Doe, the Jangala resident?  How about John Smith, the Buffalo crewman?  Well, we don't really know.  We can't really say one way for sure that they're making slave-level wages like you're implying, or if starship crewmanship is a quick path to become a Persean Sector's equivalence to a millionaire, as Gothars jested.  Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if standard groceries and such cost merely several milliCredits for people planet-side, with single-family housing ownership costs around the realm of low 100 credits for economy level, and 1000-ish credits and up for luxurious mansions and such. 

the fact that he will never be able to get that money because he cant even afford the shietest of ships, speaks a lot.
The initial cost isn't even the biggest hurdle here.  A Kite will still cost 2 supplies of maintenance per flight-month, equivalent to 200 credits/month if it were to be constantly flying, which is obviously not sustainable on a 10 credit/month salary.

This doesn't seem unrealistic at all.  I'm fairly well off, but I won't realistically be able to purchase, store and maintain a Cessna on top of all the other financial obligations I have now and will acquire in the future, such as various loans and upkeep on automobiles, housing, necessities, hobbies, etc.  Kites, obviously, are going to be much more complex, luxurious, and naturally more expensive than that!

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »

The player is effectively the head of a corporation that employs hundreds of people (more or less, depending on the stage of the game). The amount of money that a corporation gets for contracts is vastly different than what an individual gets, and the amount that private military contracts garner is higher still. Even for an 'easy' pirate bounty, we're talking about the effort of about a hundred people for several weeks with a high chance of death and significant risk to capital investment (as Megas is fond of pointing out, losing a single ship sort of costs an entire contract (it doesn't thanks to amelioration after recovery, but mercenaries can fool others by presenting the sticker cost)). In terms of realism: hundreds of billions of USD were spent on private military contracts in recent wars; the gpd/capita in afganistan is 508 USD, in iraq is 4200.
the diference is that private militarys pay a lot, like they make 500k you are probably gonna get a big chunk of that, a crewman doesnt get any special treatment, we making 200k credits? you get 10 , we going in suisice mission to the edge of the sector?10, same for marines, likehood of dyign extreme?here is your 20 bucks dude, though you are true the player is a corp/criminal syndicate,and the people of the sector probably live in poverty, also there is a lot corporatism probably in the domain, just by the power that tri-tachyon had we can guess that the doman has somewhat a ultra capitalist hell, where corps probaly saturated each other worlds just for an increase on the stock market, also i think i read something about tri-tachyon executives being ejected of the airlock, so yeah the domain and the sector probably are very *** super capitalist nations, and has such the population is probably abituated at living in such bad conditions

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 02:22:28 PM »

Is 10 a lot?  Depends on the thing.

Kuwaiti Dinars?  A decent chunk of change (~$32 USD equivalent)

Iranian Rials?  May as well be nothing at all.  (~$0.00024 USD equivalent)

One of the issues with declaring that the small number for crew income is unrealistic (besides the prior observation that Star Sector simply isn't a sim) is that we don't have actually any good references to the effective purchasing power of 1 credit for the average Star Sector crewman, or even a civillian.  Perhaps you could compare something like the cost of food to a crewman's income, but there's a problem with that:  The commercial goods you purchase are all sold in bulk, sold for tens to hundreds of credits per cargo capacity.

And what is one cargo capacity?  We don't know that either, other than a few bits of insight, such that some military equipment (large weapons, for instance) are so large that they can take up multiple units of cargo capacity.  We don't even know which capacity it's measuring: Is Cargo Capacity a function of available mass or volume for a ship?  It's the same story with Antimatter fuel and capacity, for that matter.  Pretty much the only parameter that is spelled out is colony size, measured on a 10^X scale, and I absolutely would not be surprised if that is also axed eventually and replaced by a single abstract number.

So is 10 credits a little or a lot?  For the protagonist of the game (effectively a freelance fleet admiral), it's pocket change.  For large governments in the Persean sector like the Hegemony it's certainly not even that; they must make a killing on those insane trade tariffs alone!  What about for Jane Doe, the Jangala resident?  How about John Smith, the Buffalo crewman?  Well, we don't really know.  We can't really say one way for sure that they're making slave-level wages like you're implying, or if starship crewmanship is a quick path to become a Persean Sector's equivalence to a millionaire, as Gothars jested.  Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if standard groceries and such cost merely several milliCredits for people planet-side, with single-family housing ownership costs around the realm of low 100 credits for economy level, and 1000-ish credits and up for luxurious mansions and such. 

the fact that he will never be able to get that money because he cant even afford the shietest of ships, speaks a lot.
The initial cost isn't even the biggest hurdle here.  A Kite will still cost 2 supplies of maintenance per flight-month, equivalent to 200 credits/month if it were to be constantly flying, which is obviously not sustainable on a 10 credit/month salary.

This doesn't seem unrealistic at all.  I'm fairly well off, but I won't realistically be able to purchase, store and maintain a Cessna on top of all the other financial obligations I have now and will acquire in the future, such as various loans and upkeep on automobiles, housing, necessities, hobbies, etc.  Kites, obviously, are going to be much more complex, luxurious, and naturally more expensive than that!
i compare it to how much you get of income in colonies, the price of ships and how much you make in contracts, simply speaking if im making 47k on killing some weakling pirates and the average crewman has 10 bucks monthly salary it probably means that the factons in the sector must get they're money from taxes and other stuff, but primamrly from the populace, it would require thousands of people to pay for that, and they often give out huge payments

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 02:23:44 PM »

I've always taken it as Credits being a currency for intercolonial trade, not something you'd buy a pack of toilet paper for. I imagine that each colony has at least one local currency. Though seeing how cryptos are used in real life, I wouldn't be surprised if inhabitants of Tri-Tach worlds were used to buying TP for some millionth of a Credit.
credits seem to be used for everything, you buy/hire crew for credits, get payed by people with credits, and the domain currency semms to be credits, so its probably all made in creadits

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 02:25:08 PM »

To be fair, I imagine serving on a ship gives a lot of hazard pay. Those guys die at the drop of a hat.
not even talking that being a crew man and a pilot get payed the same stuff, like you are a pilot and going to a big battle in a *** low tech fighter, leats just say you are dead.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 02:51:49 PM »

there isnt a lot of realism at least if the player is your average parsean sector admiral or captain, i has looking at the salaries and found out that each crewman makes 10 credits per month, and they are working on  a spaceship! imagine someone living in a colony what are they making? 2 credits a month? i just did an easy pirate bounty for 47k, it would take the poor crewman 391 years of working to get that. HOW da heck is the player making so much money? and how do the factions and people who pay for missions have this type of income, i also would like to see more smaller cheaper ships for civilians so that at least it would be realistic, like a easy pirate fleet with 4 small frigates with 4 d mods may be to hard for some cheap 500-1k civilian ship that a bunch of friends managed to buy but that doesnt exist, right now the game feels extremly unrealistic.

going off a quote in the desc of the rift cascade emitter & a line in rules.csv from when you visit kanta

Quote from: Rift Cascade Emitter desc
"Enough is enough. Anyone who cracks another joke about 'black magic' must contribute ten centicredits to the lab party fund."

Quote from: Rules.csv line
You transfer a fractional credit over to the thug running traffic control, enough to cover a generous meal or a round of cheap drinks.

"Eh, here's one to brighten today," control says enthusiastically, "Me, I like going halfsies with the fry, bit-a each. Shuttle, you're cleared to land at munitions bay 12."

we can figure that one full credit is probably around 1k USD (or a vaguely equivalent amount; it's a lot for planet-dwellers but not much when you're running a fleet), that puts crewmen at making the equivalent of 120k per year, which is a pretty nice salary to send home or save with, even if it does come with a pretty high risk of injury / death.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4