Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Price of Supplies  (Read 2423 times)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Price of Supplies
« on: May 03, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »

Considering how much supplies can do (rebuilding fighter wings, repairing capital ships from 1% to 100% with a relatively small amount), i suggest upping the price on supplies to act as a bigger limiter to offset the whole "rocket up to the fleetpoint cap and then halt there" thing that happens. Right each supply unit is valued at around 5 credits, selling at 4 and buying at 6. Scuttling a hammerhead right now would leave you with 250 supplies worth around 1250 creds. An odyssey leaves supplies worth 3000. If the price of supplies is moved up to 30 per, things start to make a bit more sense with the scuttling of a hammerhead leaving you with with supplies worth 75% of the ship itself. A scuttled odyssey would net about 12% return on the cost of the ship. High tech stuff is worth less when scrapped, but that makes sense considering most of the price of high tech is in the way the materials are put together, taking them apart wouldn't yield as much use.

There's probably something else in the starfarer roadmap that accomplishes a similar objective, i thought i'd throw this out there anyway. It would make bigger ships harder to maintain due to the extra crew, adding some more cost and value to someone who can manage to keep them rolling around a system other than just buying it and then dealing with only very minor repair and maintenance costs as long as it isn't destroyed.

Oh, and the medusa is probably under-priced for a high tech destroyer.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Price of Supplies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:38:02 PM »

Only thing I can agree on is the Medusa price, which is lower then a tempest. Seems weird to me.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:49:13 PM »

Shhhhh! No one said anything about my pretty pretty Medusas! Nope, they are perfect just the way they are!

I think the price scheme reflects that the Medusa is probably the best, but its not dominatingly better than the other combat destroyers. I would argue that the Tempest is dominatingly better than the standard frigates so it deserves the price. That said, I also think all larger ships need to have a cost multiplier over their current values - all ships bigger than a frigate *1.5 would make me happy. Just my opinion though.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »

I think tempests cost so much more because of their ridiculous combination of speed and firepower, Medusa's are very reliant on their shields, and don't have good front missile defense.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »

...I have to say, my Medusae do less damage and are less useful tactically than my Tempests... they also don't survive as long.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »

Huh. Well, different playstyles and all that. My Medusae are freaking beasts against most things.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »

In my experience, Medusas do not survive as well as Tempests, and don't have quite the "huge firepower on a small quick platform" effect. Don't get me wrong, they're solid ships, but I definitely agree that Tempests and Hyperions deserve their high cost.

Also, considering how important supplies are right now, I'm okay with them being cheap.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:01:00 PM by Temjin »