Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: planned features?  (Read 1422 times)

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
planned features?
« on: September 04, 2022, 04:17:16 AM »

what are the current planned feautures to add? i only see 1 upcoming feauture, and im sure there are more stuff to add like there is barely naything for the sindrian diktat, you cant colonise abandiooned space station or make one, more story and main side quests for each faction, better control for your faction and diplomacy with other factions, tech reaserch maybe.
Increaseing your population past 6 with the cryosleep ships, and more stuff to do in planets, so that you can do stuff there and quests, and wait for things to happen in your colnies, and even a epilogue of what happens after if there is a end game with lots of choices and factors like what colonies you had or how much money or income you had to decide how te life of your dude and the sector played out
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 04:19:31 AM by KikogamerJ2 »

dik1337

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: planned features?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 06:59:51 AM »

Mods. Pretty much everything you're asking about can be accomplished using mods. Nerexelin would be a good starting point.

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 07:51:49 AM »

Mods. Pretty much everything you're asking about can be accomplished using mods. Nerexelin would be a good starting point.
i would prefer something more official, something that is in the game, integrated, letting your game run just on mods, is not a perfect idea for a long timing has slowly modders will either arrive at the ceiling of what they can make or get out of ideas, also mods arent perfect and have to often abide by game rules, can get buggy if they try something out of the game standard or arent compatible with other mods

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 08:08:35 AM »

Many of these features point to being a 4x, which... it's not?

dik1337

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 09:40:36 AM »

i would prefer something more official, something that is in the game, integrated, letting your game run just on mods, is not a perfect idea for a long timing has slowly modders will either arrive at the ceiling of what they can make or get out of ideas, also mods arent perfect and have to often abide by game rules, can get buggy if they try something out of the game standard or arent compatible with other mods
Nerexelin is really well made and you can easily disable/enable mods so in my opinion it's at least with a try (plus it's all free).

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 10:13:04 AM »

Nerexelin is really well made and you can easily disable/enable mods so in my opinion it's at least with a try (plus it's all free).
true mods are great, but having stuff, fully integrated and somewhat canon to what is actually happening is always nicer.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 10:21:48 AM »

Starsector isn't like a Bethesda game where you need to worry about load orders and buggy as hell base game on top of possibly buggy, or just installed wrong, mods. The mods for starsector are, for the most part, bug free and high quality. And things like load orders don't really exist here either.

Also, much of the story and events are still being worked on by Alex and company. And that which doesn't get added, mods many times will. Seriously, give them a try!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 11:22:06 AM »

The mod angle has been addressed so I'll approach it from the other side, of why this-or-that feature hasn't been implemented yet or whether they'll be implemented at all.

i only see 1 upcoming feauture, and im sure there are more stuff to add
I'm not sure what "1 upcoming feature" is referring to, since there's quite a few in recent blog posts, but I'm sure the Alex's primary objective right now is to complete the main story arc whose first part was released in 0.95.  There's more things coming such as some more Ships to toy around with, more weaponry mainly consisting of laser missiles, and a minor revamp of faction rosters to make them a bit more distinct to fight.

like there is barely naything for the sindrian diktat
The Diktat actually has a middling amount of exclusive assets compared to average with their special Lion's Guard skins equipped with built-in Solar Shielding.  Sure, Hegemony has some more exclusive assets (Auxiliary ships and XIV Battlegroup), but factions like the Luddic Church just has a handful of skins with no special properties, and Persean League doesn't even have that.

They are getting more assets next update though, including a heavily modified variant of a new Midline capital ship and a few new exclusive (or near exclusive?) weapons.

you cant colonise abandiooned space station or make one,
There's only a few pre-gen abandoned space stations that likely couldn't/shouldn't be rebuilt back to functionality, and I think only 1 of those is located in an uninhabited sector.  The randomly generated stations are basically loot.  Finding an abandoned station (or building one from scratch) suitable for recolonizing in the sector is a fairly interesting concept, it's just likely not a high priority item for Alex to spend time on, if he wants to at all.

more story and main side quests for each faction,
The main story line is in development for sure.  Faction side stories could be interesting, perhaps once the main line is complete to a satisfactory degree.

better control for your faction and diplomacy with other factions, tech reaserch maybe.
This stuff kind of sounds like 4X mechanics.  Star Sector is not going to be a 4X game, so these are definitely not planned, at least not in the way it sounds like you're envisioning them.

Increaseing your population past 6 with the cryosleep ships,
Using Cryosleepers to get through certain Colony restrictions is a fairly common suggestion.  Can't say I have a good idea what Alex thinks of it one way or the other, unfortunately.

and more stuff to do in planets, so that you can do stuff there and quests, and wait for things to happen in your colnies,
Most of this is pretty unlikely; Planets & colonies are a bit of a side show.  Barring basic quests (which typically has you doing something in space rather than planet-side, like freight hauling or bounty hunting), any content that increases the micromanagement required for colonies (doing things and waiting for stuff to happen) is likely to be a hard sell.

and even a epilogue of what happens after if there is a end game with lots of choices and factors like what colonies you had or how much money or income you had to decide how te life of your dude and the sector played out
Honestly, I don't personally want a big "where is he now?" epilogue once the main storyline is complete.  Just a credits screen and return back to the game to do whatever once the Big BadTM is defeated.

Plus it would take a decent chunk of time to implement, and whether or not it can be implemented in a satisfying way for a game as open as Star Sector.  Imagine getting a slide where your PC "becomes a well-respected yet ruthless board member for the Tri-Tachyon corporation" due to happening to have a friendly or cooperative rating when your only real engagement with them was doing some pirate bounties and convenient quests so you could acquire enough capital to finally push Jangala into the sun.

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 02:16:51 AM »

Starsector isn't like a Bethesda game where you need to worry about load orders and buggy as hell base game on top of possibly buggy, or just installed wrong, mods. The mods for starsector are, for the most part, bug free and high quality. And things like load orders don't really exist here either.

Also, much of the story and events are still being worked on by Alex and company. And that which doesn't get added, mods many times will. Seriously, give them a try!
im currently playing my first hardcore start heavily modded campaign, this is my 3 campaign played an unmodded one, modereately modded one and now this one, i must say no game breaking stuff happened has of yet with all the mods, i actually feel pretty immersed with the infinite amount of factions that are added, but the combat ai is now ***, like dudes dont know how to use their point defense, or some stupid *** pirate accidentaly having an overpowered weapaon, or game crashing sometimes.

KikogamerJ2

• Ensign
  • CEO Of Crespillo Corp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 02:44:06 PM »

The mod angle has been addressed so I'll approach it from the other side, of why this-or-that feature hasn't been implemented yet or whether they'll be implemented at all.

i only see 1 upcoming feauture, and im sure there are more stuff to add
I'm not sure what "1 upcoming feature" is referring to, since there's quite a few in recent blog posts, but I'm sure the Alex's primary objective right now is to complete the main story arc whose first part was released in 0.95.  There's more things coming such as some more Ships to toy around with, more weaponry mainly consisting of laser missiles, and a minor revamp of faction rosters to make them a bit more distinct to fight.

like there is barely naything for the sindrian diktat
The Diktat actually has a middling amount of exclusive assets compared to average with their special Lion's Guard skins equipped with built-in Solar Shielding.  Sure, Hegemony has some more exclusive assets (Auxiliary ships and XIV Battlegroup), but factions like the Luddic Church just has a handful of skins with no special properties, and Persean League doesn't even have that.

They are getting more assets next update though, including a heavily modified variant of a new Midline capital ship and a few new exclusive (or near exclusive?) weapons.

you cant colonise abandiooned space station or make one,
There's only a few pre-gen abandoned space stations that likely couldn't/shouldn't be rebuilt back to functionality, and I think only 1 of those is located in an uninhabited sector.  The randomly generated stations are basically loot.  Finding an abandoned station (or building one from scratch) suitable for recolonizing in the sector is a fairly interesting concept, it's just likely not a high priority item for Alex to spend time on, if he wants to at all.

more story and main side quests for each faction,
The main story line is in development for sure.  Faction side stories could be interesting, perhaps once the main line is complete to a satisfactory degree.

better control for your faction and diplomacy with other factions, tech reaserch maybe.
This stuff kind of sounds like 4X mechanics.  Star Sector is not going to be a 4X game, so these are definitely not planned, at least not in the way it sounds like you're envisioning them.

Increaseing your population past 6 with the cryosleep ships,
Using Cryosleepers to get through certain Colony restrictions is a fairly common suggestion.  Can't say I have a good idea what Alex thinks of it one way or the other, unfortunately.

and more stuff to do in planets, so that you can do stuff there and quests, and wait for things to happen in your colnies,
Most of this is pretty unlikely; Planets & colonies are a bit of a side show.  Barring basic quests (which typically has you doing something in space rather than planet-side, like freight hauling or bounty hunting), any content that increases the micromanagement required for colonies (doing things and waiting for stuff to happen) is likely to be a hard sell.

and even a epilogue of what happens after if there is a end game with lots of choices and factors like what colonies you had or how much money or income you had to decide how te life of your dude and the sector played out
Honestly, I don't personally want a big "where is he now?" epilogue once the main storyline is complete.  Just a credits screen and return back to the game to do whatever once the Big BadTM is defeated.

Plus it would take a decent chunk of time to implement, and whether or not it can be implemented in a satisfying way for a game as open as Star Sector.  Imagine getting a slide where your PC "becomes a well-respected yet ruthless board member for the Tri-Tachyon corporation" due to happening to have a friendly or cooperative rating when your only real engagement with them was doing some pirate bounties and convenient quests so you could acquire enough capital to finally push Jangala into the sun.
i have to disagree with some of your points, 1st: more stuff in worlds so that you can interect with the population and know whats to actually live there, and maybe even interact and random events for your crew in ships, 2nd: the epilogue that would be pretty dumb, i meant more like if you have a commision and pretty good realations and went down their questline with multiple ending for faction questilines, and for your own faction questline.