Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tech-mining for Domain artifacts  (Read 3205 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tech-mining for Domain artifacts
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2022, 07:45:54 AM »

Thought: tech mining significantly improves colony growth. You’ve essentially created a legalized “gold rush” that attracts a ton of tech enthusiasts and they come pouring in. The bonus is on par with Hazard Pay, you just front load the payment. Interest in the mining (I.e. population growth bonus) drops off at the same rate as the findings. Better ruins not only give better initial pop growth but sustains it longer too.

Makes higher tier ruins valuable for fast colony growth, even on high hazard rating planets.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2022, 07:52:22 AM »

Wish there was more interactions with de-civilised populations as well.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Antichrist Hater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 07:08:50 PM »

I would now like to add I got a Plasma Dynamo out of 4 "widespread" ruins running simultaneously. That's the second lowest tier ruins to have and is somewhat common among starsystems. Not bad.
Prior to that I had exhausted 2 more ruins with nothing worth mentioning beyond blueprints.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2022, 12:41:28 AM »

Tech mining is incredibly capricious when it comes to output.
The size of the ruins improves the chances of getting something 'big', but doesn't guarantee it at all.
It's usually worth mining any size ruin.
And it's always worth running the mines until they say there's nothing there - I've seen tech mines pull colony items out of ruins that were almost entirely dead.

It's basically Starsector: Gacha.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2022, 04:01:05 AM »

Tech mining is incredibly capricious when it comes to output.
The size of the ruins improves the chances of getting something 'big', but doesn't guarantee it at all.
It's usually worth mining any size ruin.
And it's always worth running the mines until they say there's nothing there - I've seen tech mines pull colony items out of ruins that were almost entirely dead.

It's basically Starsector: Gacha.
The haphazard nature is exactly why I wouldn't want Ruins become an important factor in colony selection, since you can easily get disappointed with the rate or the nature of the finds you get from it. Though I've got an idea how to make Tech-Mining stay random while not feeling bad as an Industry.

Imagine an Industry that has different output based on market conditions, while chiefly being focused on the effects of the Ruins condition. The industry would have an output comparable to the current Tech-Mining if it was build on a market with the Ruins condition, perhaps Ruins would also have a negative hazard rating if untapped that decreases as the Ruins are progressively being explored. However, the Industry would also have accompanying effects, such as increasing population growth on a colony with Decivilized Subpopulation and eventually removing its hazard modifier once growth is no longer possible. Possibly also preventing the Pollution condition from appearing on habitable worlds with a nanoforge installed. It could be named something along the lines of "Infrastructure Melioration" and justified as a resource-hungry method of removing and preventing man-made planetary damage. Maybe it could also reduce the demand for drugs on worlds with mining to better justify its usage outside habitable worlds.

What do you think?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2022, 04:38:47 PM »

One drop that would make Tech Mining attractive is Omega weapons, if Omega encounters will stay limited to five Tesseracts.  But Omega weapons would need to be at least as rare as colony items because Omega weapons have high credit value.
Pages: 1 [2]